Cd Won't boot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apologies up front, I've seen posts similar to this error, but not exactly.

I work for a non profit. We were donated a mac book pro 17in laptop. Only requirement is we have to install our own OS. We have a mac book pro 15in and OS X install discs 10.4.6.

I put the cd in hold C and nothing happens. It goes to the original login, etc.

I hold the Alt/Option key at the boot and I get the options of 1. the hard drive, 2. the cd and 3. a firewire device with the osx system, (i created since I heard you can boot from firewire/usb). I select anything, 1,2. or 3 and it goes into the standard login, ignores the cd and external hd completely.

I tested this on the mbp 15in and it works fine, which is how i created the external boot device.

Any suggests to the solution appreciated well in advance.

ep

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Hello,

Grey-coloured install discs are machine-specific and rarely work in any other Mac not to menntion that it's illegal. The original install discs should be included with the 17" MBP as they are of no use to the original owner for the same reasons.

If you can't obtain the original discs then you'll need to buy a Retail set of discs. With Leopard right around the corner you'd be wise to wait a few weeks before you make this purchase. Alternatively you could call Apple and explain the circumstances. They have been known to provide the discs for a small fee in the past.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Hello,

Grey-coloured install discs are machine-specific and rarely work in any other Mac not to menntion that it's illegal. The original install discs should be included with the 17" MBP as they are of no use to the original owner for the same reasons.

If you can't obtain the original discs then you'll need to buy a Retail set of discs. With Leopard right around the corner you'd be wise to wait a few weeks before you make this purchase. Alternatively you could call Apple and explain the circumstances. They have been known to provide the discs for a small fee in the past.

Thank you. I was considering waiting for the Leopard for that very reason.