Think you can help?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a first gen Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.16ghz intel core duo with the 7200rpm harddrive. It keeps making this grinding noise and Im not sure what it is. The first time this happened i had it serviced and they said it is te harddrive. The noise happens but the system does not lock up slow down or shut off. I am not sure if it is the harddrive or the fans. The applecare people were not very helpful and were quick to jump to the conclusion of the harddrive first. It has been about 5 months and the same thing is happening again. So far I had the optical drive replaced and the harddrive replaced and im not sure what other moviing parts could be making this noise besides the fan. The noise only happens when I start watching a lot of videos or doing a lot of work in photoshop. I use it as a desktop replacment and it very rarely leaves my room. It has not been moved or drop or anything like that. If you have any comments and suggestions the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew266 View Post

I have a first gen Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.16ghz intel core duo with the 7200rpm harddrive. It keeps making this grinding noise and Im not sure what it is. The first time this happened i had it serviced and they said it is te harddrive. The noise happens but the system does not lock up slow down or shut off. I am not sure if it is the harddrive or the fans. The applecare people were not very helpful and were quick to jump to the conclusion of the harddrive first. It has been about 5 months and the same thing is happening again. So far I had the optical drive replaced and the harddrive replaced and im not sure what other moviing parts could be making this noise besides the fan. The noise only happens when I start watching a lot of videos or doing a lot of work in photoshop. I use it as a desktop replacment and it very rarely leaves my room. It has not been moved or drop or anything like that. If you have any comments and suggestions the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Andrew

get a new hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I had a similar problem where the hard disk (or fan) on my PowerBook G4 would make a high pitched whining sound after using it for a short period of time.

The problem receded after I changed the Energy Saver preferences from "Better Performance" to "Normal".
  • Reply 3 of 3
    There was also some documented cases where the CPU would emit some sort of whine on the earlier MacBook Pros.

Is the sound coming from under either speaker? I've had both fans in my MacBook Pro replaced since I bought it 1.5 years ago. If the sound comes from under the trackpad it might very well be the HD. Since it happens under high CPU load, I would lean toward the fans, based on my own experience.