PC users talking to Mac iChat users?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi folks,

I have a Mac and use iChat to visit with my Mac friends/family. One of my family members does not have a Mac though and so we were wondering how you would go about setting up their webcam on their PC to enable them to communicate with us using iChat?

I'm sure there's some funky config stuff that they would need to do - and us too perhaps? Is there some software we need (or they need) to download to make this whole thing work?

The family member in question is my Mum in England. My wife and I have a 14 month old who has just started walking so I'm tugging on your collective heart-strings here by pleading with someone to get back to me with an answer to this quandry. I'd love to be able to show my Mum her grandson toddling...

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mturner8 View Post

Hi folks,

I have a Mac and use iChat to visit with my Mac friends/family. One of my family members does not have a Mac though and so we were wondering how you would go about setting up their webcam on their PC to enable them to communicate with us using iChat?

I'm sure there's some funky config stuff that they would need to do - and us too perhaps? Is there some software we need (or they need) to download to make this whole thing work?

The family member in question is my Mum in England. My wife and I have a 14 month old who has just started walking so I'm tugging on your collective heart-strings here by pleading with someone to get back to me with an answer to this quandry. I'd love to be able to show my Mum her grandson toddling...

Thanks folks!

She'd have to use AOL Instant Messenger I think, but I'm not sure if that allows for video chatting or not. I'd except it does. iChat works with AIM.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

She'd have to use AOL Instant Messenger I think, but I'm not sure if that allows for video chatting or not. I'd except it does. iChat works with AIM.

Brilliant! We'll try that! No special tweaks? Just have her download AIM, set up an AOL account, hook up her webcam and we'll be good to go?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    You get text from iChat to AIM and vice versa, but I'm pretty sure for video your best bet is Skype.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SightSpeed works well.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Great! I'll check out Skype and Sightspeed...any more for any more?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Another vote for Skype. I talk to my family all the time with it, and they have a PC. It's excellent quality too.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Does Skype allow for video as well as voice?