Resolution Independence: from Trolltech, plus 64 bit QT Cocoa.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2007/10/qt-roadmap.html

Qt roadmap

Matthias Ettrich is up now doing the Qt platform directions talk, speaking about where Qt is goingin 4.4 and 4.5. He covered:
  • WebKit: merging web technologies and desktop applications. Things like accessing signals/slots from javascript or moving things around in the DOM from C++

• Mobile: mobile

• Enhanced XML support: xml streams (in 4.3 actually) and they are looking at a better xml tree implementation; XQuery/XPath are coming

• IPC: shared memory and locks, file mapping and local sockets ... all crossplatform

• Concurrency framework: multithreaded apps with mutexes and wait conditions in your app code

• Multimedia: audio and video playback. Yes, this is Phonon. =) QuickTime, DirectX and GStreamer backends are all coming.

• Help system: WebKit for rendering, componentized (viewer, index, contents, full text search)

• Fully resolution independent user interfaces (and then we can use this in Plasma instead of our own set of widgets)

• Qt for Cocoa: 64-bit Mac version based on the Cocoa API*

• QPlainTextEdit

• Next generation of Itemviews to make them rock a lot more, though just how was light on details; apparently this is an ongoing field of research right now for the Trolls

• More Qt Jambi, following the Qt release cycle

My bet is that Trolltech will put RI in Qt 4.5 and not 4.4. I'm bettin' on 12 months away.

OS X should have RI in a mature state before hand.

* Great news for Cocoa and Qt fans, though I don't expect to see KDE being Cocoa anytime soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    http://trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/pricing

Looking at TrollTech's pricing model, I don't find QT appealing. What is the point of "thick"client cross platform applications when you can plug in a web server and develop AJAX based clients for business needs?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

http://trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/pricing

Looking at TrollTech's pricing model, I don't find QT appealing. What is the point of "thick"client cross platform applications when you can plug in a web server and develop AJAX based clients for business needs?

What's the point of using a Web Browser (a thick client) + a thin-client Ajax App layer to use client/server applications when a native version is available for your platform, due to cross-platform tools?

Example: Pro/Engineer.

Be my guest to use an AJAX Web Services app competing with Pro/E, if it exists. I'll use Pro/E ported for my specific platform.

The argument people use for AJAX is that everyone already has a Browser running.

If people really think the Client/Server Model has been circumvented by this pseudo-thin client/server model they really have been sold a bag of goods.