Battery life with the 1.1.1 Update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I've lurked around here since I got my iPhone, figured I'd finally register and post this...

I've noticed a couple of issues with my phone since updating to the 1.1.1 firmware. The first is that the bluetooth headset battery status seems to be inaccurate. Shortly after the update, I was on a fairly long call, and after about two hours of talking, the headset indicator was showing red with a sliver of life left. The headset itself, however, had not made any beeps or other indications of being low on battery. I ended the call at about 2 1/2 hours, and went ahead and docked the phone and headset to let it charge anyways. In less than 15 minutes, it was already saying the headset was at full charge. For the most part, I attest this to a new feature that just needs to be perfected.

The second issue, however, is a bit more of a concern to me now. My usage habits of my phone vary from day to day... some days I only lightly even use the phone, with the exception of checking e-mail while I'm away from my desk or making a quick call; other days colleagues might think that my fingers are glued to the screen. My average battery life is roughly 7-12 hours, depending on how often I use the phone part of it. I have had days where I've multitasked the phone to be exchanging IM's via webpage and sending e-mails while talking to two people in a joined call -- all at the same time -- and still the phone has lasted at least most of the day.

Yet, since the firmware update, there have been a few days where I've noticed the phone is practically dead in less than five hours. And in all of the cases when I've noticed this, the phone hasn't really been used much. Today is a prime example of this... it's Sunday. I undocked the phone at about 10:30 this morning, and I've had one call around 10 minutes and a handful of text messages. I also showed off a few pics out of the photo album for a few minutes. *Nothing* compared to my daily usage during the week -- yet the phone was entirely [u]dead[/] by 5:00pm (read: I had the lightning bolt screen for 10 minutes after plugging it in before I could even power the phone back on). Not even a full 8 hours. The last time I saw this was earlier this week, and it only lasted about 4-5 hours that day before it started telling me it was low.

So.. my suspicion is that there's something related to the new update that is running in the background, using up the battery. An educated guess here points me towards a possible memory leak, since I've noted that this has been a few days between occurances, so it's likely something gets caught up in the background and slowly gets worse until it's consuming resources.

Anyone got any ideas? Seen this on their phone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I, too, have noticed the battery level indicator for the Bluetooth ear piece is inaccurate. It frequently shows red when I first turn on the ear piece, and after a few minutes will show green. Even if the ear piece is fully charged, the iPhone almost never shows it as such.

Regarding the battery life of the iPhone after the 1.1.1 update, I seem to have improved battery life. Seriously, I went 4 days recently without charging it! Granted I didn't talk much on it (maybe an hour at most), but previously I would need to charge it every other night with very little voice communications.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Regarding the battery life of the iPhone after the 1.1.1 update, I seem to have improved battery life. Seriously, I went 4 days recently without charging it! Granted I didn't talk much on it (maybe an hour at most), but previously I would need to charge it every other night with very little voice communications.

I have indeed seen some improvement in that respect -- There are some days that I've finished out the day with half a battery left as well, and one time that I did leave it off the dock and still was able to use it the next day (though I did have to charge it later in the day), but still overall I've noticed that it seems to use more power, particularly after a few days of constant running. If I reboot it (which I've had to do a couple times to reset the bluetooth channel), then it's fine for a few days but eventually I run into this problem.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    If I found my iPhone or my bluetooth receiver failing to hold a charge for an entire day I'd take it back for repair. I never have less than 50% battery power left when I dock it every night.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

If I found my iPhone or my bluetooth receiver failing to hold a charge for an entire day I'd take it back for repair. I never have less than 50% battery power left when I dock it every night.

If it were a brand new phone, I might consider it being a defect. But as I mentioned, it didn't do this at all until after updating the software.

The bluetooth is fine... I've only had one time I can think of where it ran out of juice during the day, most of the time it lasts pretty well (I don't quite hit the advertised 5.5 hours of talktime though). As for the iPhone, it varies. When I dock it at night, I'd say the battery is usually at about half to 60%, maybe closer to 30% on the heaviest usage days... but it usually lasts through a day well enough.

The problem is that it just randomly will fully drain out in a few hours on a random day, like today. I still think it's probably some software bug.. in fact while using it a few minutes ago I just thought of the fact that it could even be something as simple as a web page being left "loaded" in Safari or a video left loaded in YouTube. Seems silly, I know... but I did use the YouTube app last night, and got a call in the middle of a video, and after the call I just tapped the home button out of it, so I guess it's possible that it may be eating up resources in the background.

This just didn't happen prior to the update at all, so I'm just hoping if anyone else has noticed similar behavior that maybe it can be identified and fixed in a later update.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    beleybeley Posts: 30member
    Have you tried to do a soft reset? That might clear up anything that's hung up running in the background. Hold down the power and home buttons until the device turns off and then let go. Turn it back on and see if that gets you back to normal. (You won't lose any of your data -- it's just like holding down the power button for 10 seconds on a Mac)
  • Reply 6 of 23
    So let me get this straight, the phone doesnt even last less than half a day now? i thought one of the key features was good battery which if im right was even boosted in usage time prior to launch?

How long does it last with maybe an hours worth of music and 40 mins worth of video a day?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So let me get this straight, the phone doesnt even last less than half a day now? i thought one of the key features was good battery which if im right was even boosted in usage time prior to launch?

How long does it last with maybe an hours worth of music and 40 mins worth of video a day?

There have been days that I have watched a couple 2 hour movies, taken several calls, listened to several podcasts, a couple of audio books, and gotten e-mail and web surfed via wi-fi and I don't think I've ever dropped below 50% remaining (I take trips across state semi-regularly). The gauge is an analog one, so exact figures are difficult to provide.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

There have been days that I have watched a couple 2 hour movies, taken several calls, listened to several podcasts, a couple of audio books, and gotten e-mail and web surfed via wi-fi and I don't think I've ever dropped below 50% remaining (I take trips across state semi-regularly). The gauge is an analog one, so exact figures are difficult to provide.

Wow.... then my phone must be defective.

I have never gotten even six hours of battery life out of my phone ever, and that was the first time I used it. I've averaged less than five hours since then... and in fact, the last two times I charged my phone, I've gotten barely over four. And that's just using the phone and a few text messages. No music, no video, no nothing. I only use those kinds of things when I travel, but I'm at home now, so there's no need to use that in front of my home computer. Oh, and I have Wi-Fi turned off.

My SIM card was dead when I first purchased the phone, and I had to go to AT&T to replace it. That probably was a bad sign.

I've only had the phone for three weeks (I purchased it just prior to a business trip), and I love everything about it, but perhaps I should take it in for a replacement? My other friends who have iPhones have much better battery life as well.

GTSC
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Yeah, I've used the device pretty well constantly since I got it. I dock it ever night - I take it out of it's cradle at 5:00 AM (I use it as my alarm clock) and put it back in at 10:00 PM or so and I pretty much do what I outlined above almost every day.

I actually was concerned at first about the battery life so I hammered it hard for the first several days to make sure it had what I believed it needed to have for me to keep it. I would have taken it back within the 14 day return policy if it had ever run out of power even once.

It hasn't.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

Wow.... then my phone must be defective.

I have never gotten even six hours of battery life out of my phone ever, and that was the first time I used it. I've averaged less than five hours since then... and in fact, the last two times I charged my phone, I've gotten barely over four. And that's just using the phone and a few text messages. No music, no video, no nothing. I only use those kinds of things when I travel, but I'm at home now, so there's no need to use that in front of my home computer. Oh, and I have Wi-Fi turned off.

My SIM card was dead when I first purchased the phone, and I had to go to AT&T to replace it. That probably was a bad sign.

I've only had the phone for three weeks (I purchased it just prior to a business trip), and I love everything about it, but perhaps I should take it in for a replacement? My other friends who have iPhones have much better battery life as well.

GTSC

Have you made sure the blue tooth is turned to "off". Blue tooth uses some battery life even if not being used.

Luckily my iPhone lasts almost 4 days I don't use it too much but probably 30min of talking each day and maybe 20 texts, and sometimes check my email but I get maybe 1 email each day.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    I have had the same problem

My battery life has decreased substantially since 1.1.1

I will have to wait for the next update to fix the issue.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I used the Anderson hack to activate my iPhone and used it for about a week without phone service. I surfed and checked email constantly and think I had to charge it maybe two times during that week.

I activated the phone and concurrently put on the update, and the phone now burns through a charge in just a few hours.

Since I didn't have that issue without phone service I was blaming it on the phone maybe searching for ATT reception (which is spotty in my area, to say the least), but maybe it's the software. Harumph. Hope they fix it soon, this is ridiculous.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    1.1.1 is the version with the itunes music store app right?

Im pretty sure the Euro one ships with this version as standard. If so I hope they sort the battery life out.

Its wierd that it would be affected by an update though. I remember my N95 also decreasing in battery life after updating to V12 firmware. I know they always say ensure your battery is fully charged when updating but surley this is only to make sure the phone doesnt switch off during the update right?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    So... I haven't had any more battery troubles this week (yet), but I'm still miffed by just how much fluxuation in capacity... Not to mention the headset indicator being horribly wrong.

Anyways, tonight I noticed something else strange... My time is an hour ahead in most applications, including mail and visual voicemail. BUT the system time at the top is perfectly correct, and the time zone settings are also right.

Between that, the battery issues, and a few other things (top status bar becomes invisible in mail afer playing sound attachments, for one)... It really seems to me like the 1.1.1 release didn't get the QA it deserved.

--

Sent from my iPhone
  • Reply 15 of 23
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Battery life may have decreased (slightly in my case), but finding wifi seems to be much faster for me.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    About a day after V1.1.1 came out, many began to notice an increase in their iPhone's ability to 'sense/detect' wifi networks; while the battery life seemed shorter to exhaustion levels! The wifi chipset in the iphone has been flashed to draw more power to 'handoff' to the itunes wifi store icon, enhancing it's performance. I don't use the wifi store icon, I wish there was some way to turn it off, for those who are happy with the sync method primarily, and to get back that battery reserve.\
  • Reply 17 of 23
    So how bad is it now? Does it still lasta day with moderate use? from morning till night i mean,.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I get about 3 days out of my iphone with 1.1.1 using it moderately.

Note: after I did the update to 1.1.1 the battery level did drop alot faster (dead in less than a day) I just soft reset the phone and have not had a problem from that point.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Im having the same problem with two units. I charge the unit every night and get the red 20% warning every other day around 4pm. My wife was going to order a new charger because she thought hers was defective.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    A report I read suggests that a problem exists with the wi-fi auto-join feature after updating to 1.1.1. You need to "forget" all your wi-fi connections, reboot, and then attach them again to solve this problem.

I haven't had a problem probably 'cause I don't automatically attach to wi-fi hotspots.