Briefly: Nano, Classic iPod SW updates; new iPhone ads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this past weekend released software updates for both its third-generation iPod nano and sixth-generation iPod classic digital media players. Meanwhile, the company also kicked-off a new national television advertising campaign for the iPhone.

iPod nano, classic software version 1.0.2

On Saturday, Apple released iPod software version 1.0.2. for the third-generation iPod nano and sixth-generation iPod classic. Both updates are accessible to owners of the players through iTunes.

Although Apple's documentation states only that the updates deliver "bug fixes," users have discovered that the firmware revision primarily affects Cover Flow behavior and performance on the iPod classic, improving its similarity to the experience found within iTunes 7.4.

The updates also adds a third "Ask" option to the TV output category that lets users selectively turn on TV mode when attached to an authorized video-capable peripheral. Users have also reported better calendar and contact syncing.

Real world iPhone ads

Meanwhile, Apple on Sunday began airing a trio of "real world' commercials that feature a monologue delivered by a satisfied user about a particular iPhone feature. The ads, which are set in front of a black backdrop, are akin to the company's Mac "switcher" campaign and likely a result of solicited user submissions. The commercials end with the user walking away from the backdrop -- which is revealed to be on the side of a New York City street.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Why, oh why does Apple not just say what is in the updates. That is Apple's most annoying habit to me.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Apple really does have some clever people working for them in their marketing division. These new ads really bring the iPhone down to the general public.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I got suckered by the erroneous Classic compatibility info originally posted for the Camera Connector at the Apple Store, so I jettisoned my 60GB iPod Photo and jumped on an 80GB Classic.

1.0.2 still gives the "Accessory is not supported" message when I plug in my Camera Connector into the Classic. Grrr. Will Apple ever update Classic firmware to support the rest of the broken peripherals out there - at least THEIR OWN?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anyone have insider info on the at&t Tilt? Is this the HTC phone as rejiggered by at&t for the US?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Anyone have insider info on the at&t Tilt? Is this the HTC phone as rejiggered by at&t for the US?

The HTC Touch iPhone competitor? Nah, this is another in the vain of HTC's usual smartphones with a keyboard.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Bring back Ellen Feiss!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Bring back Ellen Feiss!

What would be cool would be if she appears to have been living on the street since we last saw here, and for her spot she just holds up her eye phone and goes "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" for thirty seconds. Then, right at the end she can try to cram the phone in her mouth, while muttering "good paper".
  • Reply 8 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What would be cool would be if she appears to have been living on the street since we last saw here, and for her spot she just holds up her eye phone and goes "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" for thirty seconds. Then, right at the end she can try to cram the phone in her mouth, while muttering "good paper".

Waaaaaaaah!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    http://humor.beecy.net/misc/feiss/

That was 2002? Holy crap I'm old.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    haro!haro! Posts: 32member
    Brooklyn gets some love in the new ads. Awesome.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    firmware update 1.0.2 brought some new bugs to my iPod classic. my battery drained overnight. i hope 1.0.3 comes out soon.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

firmware update 1.0.2 brought some new bugs to my iPod classic. my battery drained overnight. i hope 1.0.3 comes out soon.

No offense, but was it playing without you knowing. Can you reproduce this issue?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No offense, but was it playing without you knowing. Can you reproduce this issue?

None taken. I just finished recharging my iPod classic (firmware 1.0.2) and I'm going to try to reproduce it. I also reset my iPod, just in case.

However, I'm not the only one experiencing really short battery times after installing the update. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....22848&tstart=0
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I posted in that apple.com thread...I've had my battery go dead yesterday, and nearly dead today. The disk isn't spinning down like it's supposed to. I picked it up a little bit ago, after thinking I had powered it down 6 hours ago, and it was still whirring away, nearly dead. Works fine for about a month, then I update the firmware to 1.02 and suddenly I'm having this problem.

BTW, I couldn't get the disk to spin down without navigating away from the file I was playing earlier. It used to be that just pausing it would put it in auto-sleep mode.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SydSeale View Post

I posted in that apple.com thread...I've had my battery go dead yesterday, and nearly dead today. The disk isn't spinning down like it's supposed to. I picked it up a little bit ago, after thinking I had powered it down 6 hours ago, and it was still whirring away, nearly dead. Works fine for about a month, then I update the firmware to 1.02 and suddenly I'm having this problem.

BTW, I couldn't get the disk to spin down without navigating away from the file I was playing earlier. It used to be that just pausing it would put it in auto-sleep mode.

my battery hasn't discharged anymore.

here's what happened to me, and what i did:

1. iPod classic worked fine for a couple of weeks.

2. Some three days ago I applied update 1.0.2 and went to bed.

3. Next morning the battery was completely drained. (I did turn it off)

4. Logged on to apple forums and realized that a lot of people's ipods also had battery drainage problems after applying the update.

5. Recharged my iPod to try to reproduce the problem. While it was charging, I did an iPod reset (press center and menu until it restarts)

6. When it was done charging, I disconnected the iPod and did another restart (center + menu) just to make sure.

7. It seems not to be draining the battery anymore.

Maybe the update uncalibrated the battery of some iPods or whatever. Or it tricked the iPod into thinking the battery was drained. Obviously, I don't know what's happening internally. I don't know how this happened but these steps worked for me.

If it drains again suspiciosly I'll report it. But seems stable for now.