iPod classic 1.0.2 update brings new bugs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
last night I installed iPod firmware update 1.0.2. The update installed fine. My battery was full.

This morning I tried to power up my iPod (80GB). The battery was completely drained overnight. I suspect the new update brought a new batch of bugs.

Some people are also experiencing this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....69214&tstart=0

Apple needs to come out with 1.0.3 soon. My battery was doing great before the update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Mines been fine remarkable battery life up from my G4iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    When you pause a file during playback, and leave it alone for a few hours, the disk should spin down soon after you last touch it and it should go into sleep/off mode, correct? Mine has insomnia since I applied 1.0.2. I got home from work, pushed pause until the screen went dark, then picked it up 6 hours later with the disk still spinning before I even pushed a button....turned it on and the battery was nearly dead. The disk never stopped spinning.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SydSeale View Post

When you pause a file during playback, and leave it alone for a few hours, the disk should spin down soon after you last touch it and it should go into sleep/off mode, correct? Mine has insomnia since I applied 1.0.2. I got home from work, pushed pause until the screen went dark, then picked it up 6 hours later with the disk still spinning before I even pushed a button....turned it on and the battery was nearly dead. The disk never stopped spinning.

Are you saying you push and HOLD pause? i don't do that, I tap it and then slide the lock, screen goes black, put it in my pocket, battery lasts ages.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Yeah, holding pause for a second seems to make it turn off immediately, whereas tapping it once just pauses it with the screen staying on for a minute or so before going to sleep. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it wasn't causing the disk to stay spinning indefinitely prior to the 1.0.2 firmware update. (edit: the manual says "Turn off iPod classic - Press and hold Play/Pause")

edit: it isn't causing it to stay spinning every time I do this...usually it spins down (so it's difficult to reproduce), but now it seems susceptible to bugging out, and when it does that (that is, when the disk won't spin down) the only way to get it to spin down is to first navigate away from the file that it was playing. I don't know...can you tell me if there's any reason in the world the disk should have been spinning when I picked it up six hours later, given that I hadn't touched any buttons yet and it was paused and locked?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SydSeale View Post

Yeah, holding pause for a second seems to make it turn off immediately, whereas tapping it once just pauses it with the screen staying on for a minute or so before going to sleep. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it wasn't causing the disk to stay spinning indefinitely prior to the 1.0.2 firmware update. (edit: the manual says "Turn off iPod classic - Press and hold Play/Pause")

edit: it isn't causing it to stay spinning every time I do this...usually it spins down (so it's difficult to reproduce), but now it seems susceptible to bugging out, and when it does that (that is, when the disk won't spin down) the only way to get it to spin down is to first navigate away from the file that it was playing. I don't know...can you tell me if there's any reason in the world the disk should have been spinning when I picked it up six hours later, given that I hadn't touched any buttons yet and it was paused and locked?

I'll repost from the other thread what worked for me to (apparently) eliminate the problem

my battery hasn't discharged anymore.

here's what happened to me, and what i did:

1. iPod classic worked fine for a couple of weeks.

2. Some three days ago I applied update 1.0.2 and went to bed.

3. Next morning the battery was completely drained. (I did turn it off)

4. Logged on to apple forums and realized that a lot of people's ipods also had battery drainage problems after applying the update.

5. Recharged my iPod to try to reproduce the problem. While it was charging, I did an iPod reset (press center and menu until it restarts)

6. When it was done charging, I disconnected the iPod and did another restart (center + menu) just to make sure.

7. It seems not to be draining the battery anymore.

Maybe the update uncalibrated the battery of some iPods or whatever. Or it tricked the iPod into thinking the battery was drained. Obviously, I don't know what's happening internally. I don't know how this happened but these steps worked for me.

If it drains again suspiciosly I'll report it. But seems stable for now.