Title quality in iMovie HD

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This has been bugging me for a while...

When adding titles to movies in iMovieHD, they look fine in the preview, but then when you actually add them, they look horrible. Low quality pixelated, and sometimes barely readable. This happens no matter what font, colour or size (though obviously smaller are even harder to read).

When rendered, even ad full quality, titles are stll horrible, so it's not a playback/preview issue. It's actually generating horrible quality titles.

I'm on an Intel Mini, using an external USB drive cause the internal drive is crazy slow. All the software is up to date. For some reason I don't think I used to have this problem when I used iMovieHD on my old Powerbook G4, but it takes 15 minutes to render each title, and also doesn't have the font I want to use.

This also doesn't happen with the new iMovie, but the new iMovie doesn't let you do a bunch of stuff with titles that I want.

Anyone have any ideas?..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Your question has been asked and answered too many times to count. iMovie is a movie editor, not a viewer. Rendering video is resource-intensive. iMovie sacrifices high-quality rendering so that users may edit their productions without interminable delays. Apple's QuickTime Player and other third-party viewers can then playback these productions with full fidelity.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yes, I know this, except when the movie is VIEWED later in ANY viewer no matter WHAT quality you tell it to use, the titles text is HORRIBLE, even though everything ELSE is fantastic quality.

And that doesn't explain why iMovieHD does it but iMovie doesn't, and why it didn't do that on my MUCH weaker powerbook G4 but does on my Intel mini.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jethro1138 View Post

And that doesn't explain why iMovieHD does it but iMovie doesn't,

Yes, it does.

Quote:

and why it didn't do that on my MUCH weaker powerbook G4 but does on my Intel mini.

Now, you are mixing hardware and software in search of confusion. Separate out each variable--application [version], platform, quality.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Same version of iMovieHD. Same settings. Different machine - the slow old one has GOOD quality, and there's no setting to change that.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Same version of iMovieHD. Same settings. Different machine - the slow old one has GOOD quality, and there's no setting to change that.

Which font? Have you used the same font settings on both machines? Do both machines have the same fonts in the font book?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yup, same fonts in the past. But the one I'm using now doesn't exist on my PB12, which is why I don't just go do it on that one.

But seriously, I've tried plain old helvetica and times-new-roman just to check. Rendered movie viewed in Quicktime on BOTH Apple machines, using mplayer on a Linux box, and on my Mythbox, and uploaded to youtube. Crap titles (well, even worse in youtube) from the Mini, Readable titles from the BP12.