Brain test illusion

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Picked this up at NS, its an optical illusion, that supposedly tells you which sie of your brain dominates your thinking.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005375,00.html

Well, she spins clockwise for me, and try as I might I cant get her to reverse direction, though if you study the depth positioning of the silhouette - of the feet especially - (which is why the lower foot dips, so that you cant get any depth clues off of the rotating leg), you can see why it would be possible for her to spin the other way if you can convince yourself that it really is possible.

So what direction does she spin for you?

Incidently, whomever modelled this in 3d must have originally set up a timeline of keyframes for her to rotate in one specific direction - afterall you cant rotate a model in opposite directions at the same time - and I'd hazard a guess that originally, the model spun clockwise, because in my guess, thats a more ingrained natural rotation for the mind than anti-clockwise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

For me she is upside-down rotating towards me on the vertical access - wtf???

Should I be worried?

[mother] Tarquin. Come down from the ceiling, AT ONCE! [/mother]
  • Reply 2 of 46
    AH! I can make her switch at will. If I look at her, she spins clockwise, but if I zone-out and look just below her foot, she goes the other way! Blinking seems to send her clockwise again.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

AH! I can make her switch at will. If I look at her, she spins clockwise, but if I zone-out and look just below her foot, she goes the other way! Blinking seems to send her clockwise again.

i can make her change too. The first time i looked she was going clock wise. Then as i concentrated on her feet she switched. She looked like she was going to fall and then she switches.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:

Maybe you swing both ways?

well, its on my list of 101 things to do before I die. Before that though, I want a gangbang with 10 lesbians in Prague!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i can make her change too. The first time i looked she was going clock wise. Then as i concentrated on her feet she switched. She looked like she was going to fall and then she switches.

notice the shadow? , im sure theres a clue in there.

I've noticed that if I close the page and wait 30 secs before opening it again, she always defaults to clockwise, and then I have to work to make it change.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

notice the shadow? , im sure theres a clue in there.

I've noticed that if I close the page and wait 30 secs before opening it again, she always defaults to clockwise, and then I have to work to make it change.

if you look at the shadow your brain realises that going clock wise is wrong so it switches. I can basically make it switch which ever way i want now. But for some reason i can't keep my eyes off her higher regions D:

p.s. it's not a fake. i looked at it the same time my mother was and she saw it going counter clockwise and i saw it going clock wise.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    I can switch it at will... but because I am more conscious of what I need to do to convince my brain it is moving in the opposite direction, I can tell you that it is the model which you place upon the rotating object that makes it appear to rotate one way or the other. If you can model the general mass moving one direction versus the other, the girl will change direction...
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Also, there is vertical symmetry (when her heel hits itself think of a horizontal line drawn at that point). Also if this were a real person their levitating and their CG in not over the point of rotation, so she wouldn't be in either static or dynamic equilibrium. But I have just the "tool" to fix that!
  • Reply 9 of 46
    I was trying to figure out what way was clockwise and then the motherfucker started going around the other direction.

AGH
  • Reply 10 of 46
    i think she rotates clockwise more often though.

Which makes me an awesome right-brained physics grad student.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    wait! wtf is clockwise anyway?

It really depends on how you look at it.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    um, exactly?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

um, exactly?

Looking from the top (head to heel) down CW is right to left from our POV, Looking from the bottom (heel to head) up CW is left to right from our POV.

Now does anyone know of a clockmaker who makes a analog clock with the hands and numbers going in reverse? This is a serious question, I'm just curious.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

Maybe you swing both ways?

Or at least "rotate" both ways.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post

wait! wtf is clockwise anyway?

It really depends on how you look at it.

If you don't know what an analog clock is, this test could drive you mad.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Looking from the top (head to heel) down CW is right to left from our POV, Looking from the bottom (heel to head) up CW is left to right from our POV.

Now does anyone know of a clockmaker who makes a analog clock with the hands and numbers going in reverse? This is a serious question, I'm just curious.

There are novelty items, yes...
  • Reply 18 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

I can switch it at will... but because I am more conscious of what I need to do to convince my brain it is moving in the opposite direction, I can tell you that it is the model which you place upon the rotating object that makes it appear to rotate one way or the other. If you can model the general mass moving one direction versus the other, the girl will change direction...

Yes, and it has nothing to do with being "left-brained" or "right-brained." I don't even think there is such a thing.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Yes, and it has nothing to do with being "left-brained" or "right-brained." I don't even think there is such a thing.

you're right, the 'sides of the brain thing' is just urban mythology. I wonder who looked at the list and decided not to post their direction?
  • Reply 20 of 46
    soulcrusher: right-hand-rule, you physics grad student, you. Positive is anti-clockwise. Know your cross-product & curl.

I look at this damn thing, and it's nothing but clockwise: no luck whatsoever in changing directions by will, and no flip-flopping as I think about it. I also can't do "Magic-Eye." I've suspected for a while that I am right-brain dominant. I intentionally didn't read the description until after I looked, just to avoid any kind of influence. I sent a link to the other members of my immediate family, who are stereotypical left-brainers. I am curious to see what they report.