Important Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a couple of questions:

1. Can someone explain to me the problem of having two different size RAMs (ex. having 1x1Gb and 1x2GB)?

2. Is there any problem with having 1x1GB RAM from APple and having 1x1GB RAM from a 3rd Party? (By problem I mean, will I run into the same problem i discuss in question #1)

3. I know this a mac forum, but does anyone no any cheap places to buy Vista Home Basic or XP Home?

4. Which is considered better ram- Samsung or Micron?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azrocks View Post

1. Can someone explain to me the problem of having two different size RAMs (ex. having 1x1Gb and 1x2GB)?

2. Is there any problem with having 1x1GB RAM from APple and having 1x1GB RAM from a 3rd Party? (By problem I mean, will I run into the same problem i discuss in question #1)

3. I know this a mac forum, but does anyone no any cheap places to buy Vista Home Basic or XP Home?

Thanks for your help!

1. i didn't know there was a problem with having two different sized sticks of ram. i seriously doubt there is.

2. there is no problem with having a different companies ram in your computer with your apple ram, just make sure the specs match up.

3. buy it from some disgruntled vista owner off of ebay or something.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azrocks View Post

Thanks for your help!

1. for Mac Books (Pro) and iMacs, there shouldn't be a problem with differently sized RAMs. Many motherboards support "dual channel access", which gives you a slightly faster transfer rate for evenly matched RAM, but even in these systems you can install RAM of different size. The Macs (with possible exception of Mac Pro) don't support dual channel, so there is no real advantage for using matched RAM.

2. Look through this forum, you will find that many users use third party RAM without problems.

3. Russia, China or India.

4. A few years ago, the quality of memory chips was really bad, and the chances of getting defective RAM was quite high, if you bought no-name products. In the last years, however, RAM chips have become quite reliable, and I don't think you make a mistake with either Samsung or Micron.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I've noticed that memory sticks are sold singly or two in kits, and the kits are sometimes more than twice the cost of the single sticks. Is there something in kits that adds value? I can't see how that could be.

BTW, Best Buy has PNY 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 (desktop) or laptop memory listed at $74.99 each. A pair for an iMac would be $150.00 . That's $30.00 cheaper than OWC's kit of 2 x 2 MB which now sells for $179.00.

Again, why would a kit of 2 cost more than 2 sold separately?

On its site, PNY 4GB kit (2X 2GB) 667MHz DDR2 notebook SODIMMS sell for $249.99 .

A single 2 GB stick sells for $119.99. The kit sells for $49.00 more than 2 single sticks.

What am I missing?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

BTW, Best Buy has PNY 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 (desktop) or laptop memory listed at $74.99 each. A pair for an iMac would be $150.00 . That's $30.00 cheaper than OWC's kit of 2 x 2 MB which now sells for $179.00.

Don't forget OWC's rebate on your old memory (which brings you back down to Best Buy's numbers... and, would you trust your baby to a Best Buy stick of ram?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Don't forget OWC's rebate on your old memory (which brings you back down to Best Buy's numbers... and, would you trust your baby to a Best Buy stick of ram?

It's not a house brand. It's PNY. Buying from OWC requires S & H for the new ram, and the rebate return requires postage and time. I'm not recommending either. Just stating the facts.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    In yesterday's paper, Circuit City advertised a Centon Laptop 2GB Module DDR2 667/533MHz PC5300 for $39.99 (regularly-79.99). Does Module mean the same as a 'kit' (2x1GB) or a 2GB stick? If it's a stick, that is the lowest price I've seen - half of what OWC sells a 2GB stick for. $80 dollars for 4GB - WOW.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    As for Windows... buy an "OEM" version. You get no support from M$, but you get the OS for less than half the price of the "retail" version.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

As for Windows... buy an "OEM" version. You get no support from M$, but you get the OS for less than half the price of the "retail" version.

What post are you referring to?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What post are you referring to?

Question #3 in the original post of this thread.