Stolen iPod, what now?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First of all, this is my first post on AppleInsider although I have been lurking for a while. For now the only Apple product I use (used) is (was) an iPod (I might buy a macbook if go to boarding school.)

As you might have noticed, this thread is about my stolen iPod. I purchased it on a visit to New Jersey in April 2005 a little more than half a year after I moved to Israel. It was a 30GB 5G white iPod and I didn't purchase an extended warranty. Around the end of August when I returned from my uncle in Tel-Aviv I left my iPod on the counter in the kitchen. A few days later I noticed it was gone and I looked all over for it. I'm pretty sure the electrician stole it but I know it's partly my fault as I shouldn't have left something as expensive as an iPod laying around the house.

I don't have my iPod's serial number written down and even if I did it wouldn't help as Apple has absolutely no retail presence in Israel whatsoever. A choice few of its products are sold at a 100% markup at a few scattered retailers. I know I have no chance whatsoever of recovering my iPod so I'll need to buy a new one.

My options are:
  • Buying an American iPhone and unlocking it. I'm not worried about bricking it as unbricking methods are constantly being released. The problem is that my father wouldn't want me to buy an iPhone from the U.S., instead urging me to wait until it's released in Israel (for three times the price no doubt.)

• Buy an iPod touch but my phone is utter crap and I can't possibly invest $400 in an iPod touch and then another $400 in a 2G iPhone to replace my current phone. Or I cou

• Buy some really cheap generic mp3 player or maybe an iPod nano and wait until an official unlocked iPhone is released.

I don't think I can last any longer without a portable music player, The Beatles are calling out to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SushiP View Post

First of all, this is my first post on AppleInsider although I have been lurking for a while. For now the only Apple product I use (used) is (was) an iPod (I might buy a macbook if go to boarding school.)My options are:
    • Buying an American iPhone and unlocking it. I'm not worried about bricking it as unbricking methods are constantly being released. The problem is that my father wouldn't want me to buy an iPhone from the U.S., instead urging me to wait until it's released in Israel (for three times the price no doubt.)

• Buy an iPod touch but my phone is utter crap and I can't possibly invest $400 in an iPod touch and then another $400 in a 2G iPhone to replace my current phone. Or I cou

• Buy some really cheap generic mp3 player or maybe an iPod nano and wait until an official unlocked iPhone is released.

Sorry to hear. If I were you, I'd get a Nano. Keep it in good shape and sell it via eBay when the 3G iPhone comes out in a year or so. You seem young. An iPhone or an iPod Touch is just going to be stolen, particularly if you go to boarding school.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Sorry to hear. If I were you, I'd get a Nano. Keep it in good shape and sell it via eBay when the 3G iPhone comes out in a year or so. You seem young. An iPhone or an iPod Touch is just going to be stolen, particularly if you go to boarding school.

The boarding school I might go to has a very rigorous process to get accepted, I asked someone who went there about stuff being stolen and they said it never happens. I'm really hyped about the iPhone but I don't know if it would be a good idea to buy one in the U.S. and unlock it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SushiP View Post

The boarding school I might go to has a very rigorous process to get accepted, I asked someone who went there about stuff being stolen and they said it never happens. I'm really hyped about the iPhone but I don't know if it would be a good idea to buy one in the U.S. and unlock it.

Don't buy an iPhone unless you want to be upset in a few months when the next version comes out. I'm telling you: the next version will be markedly better, at least on the inside. Now that the iPhone isn't a secret, Apple can go to lengths to custom-design the components. Perhaps I should change "can" to "has."
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Don't buy an iPhone unless you want to be upset in a few months when the next version comes out. I'm telling you: the next version will be markedly better, at least on the inside. Now that the iPhone isn't a secret, Apple can go to lengths to custom-design the components. Perhaps I should change "can" to "has."

I haven't heard many good things about the new nanos and I'm a sucker for awesome product design, I tried out my friend's iPod Touch and fell in love with the interface. Perhaps I'll just get an iPod touch and give it to my sister or sell it on eBay once I get an iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    After reading Appleinsider's review of the iPod nano and after the interface lag fixing patch I think I'll settle for a nano until I can get an iPhone.