Is it a bad time to buy a Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
HI, Is it a bad time to buy a macbook pro? Do you guys think there will be an update to the macbook pro line coming out in the next few months?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I do not know if it is a "bad" time, but there are a couple of things to consider before you buy and they are (1) MacBook Pro is due for an update and (2) Leopard is about to be released.

MacBook Pro update
    • Could be as late a MWSF in January

• It will most likely get the Penryn processor, speed increase, raster RAM, etc (eg. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive option)

• It could get a new look

• Some threads have been about an "ulta-portable" so if one is released (MWSF if it exists) that might fit you better.

Leopard release
    • Any new MacBook Pro will handle Leopard.

• Tiger is stable and has a lot of applications that run on it.

• Some software will require Leopard (i.e. Delicious Library 2.x from Delicious Monster) so there is a chance others might do the same. Apparently, Leopard is a developer's eutopia.

• If you buy a Mac after Leopard's official release date you should be able to get Leopard for the cost of S&H. If you go to an Apple store and buy a Mac with Tiger installed when Leopard is on the shelves you should be given a Leopard disk at the counter. Either way, you will be able to install Leopard at your leisure, but if you have to reinstall Leopard, for whatever reason, you will have to first install Tiger because the disk with Leopard will be an "upgrade" disk.

• Reply 2 of 12
    Thanks for the great answer!

I think it might be sensible to wait a bit, and see if the new models are released with leopard (they might have enough to do with just leopard though). Hmmm... I'm not too worried about a newer model, other than the fact the new chip might run cooler, that would be a big +.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

raster RAM

Yeah, mon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I do not know if it is a "bad" time, but there are a couple of things to consider before you buy and they are (1) MacBook Pro is due for an update and (2) Leopard is about to be released.

MacBook Pro update
    • Could be as late a MWSF in January

• It will most likely get the Penryn processor, speed increase, raster RAM, etc (eg. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive option)

• It could get a new look

• Some threads have been about an "ulta-portable" so if one is released (MWSF if it exists) that might fit you better.

Leopard release
    • Any new MacBook Pro will handle Leopard.

• Tiger is stable and has a lot of applications that run on it.

• Some software will require Leopard (i.e. Delicious Library 2.x from Delicious Monster) so there is a chance others might do the same. Apparently, Leopard is a developer's eutopia.

• If you buy a Mac after Leopard's official release date you should be able to get Leopard for the cost of S&H. If you go to an Apple store and buy a Mac with Tiger installed when Leopard is on the shelves you should be given a Leopard disk at the counter. Either way, you will be able to install Leopard at your leisure, but if you have to reinstall Leopard, for whatever reason, you will have to first install Tiger because the disk with Leopard will be an "upgrade" disk.

yes helpful answer. im in the same boat as Saint actually and I think im just going to buy the MBP on Oct 26 to make sure it comes with Leopard preinstalled rather than me having to install it. no hardware upgrade was announced with leopard so almost certainly wont happen before next year.

quick Q as a new mac user,, do you recommend antiglare or glossy for the display for MBP?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesaint View Post

HI, Is it a bad time to buy a macbook pro? Do you guys think there will be an update to the macbook pro line coming out in the next few months?

Thanks!

I have a very similar question regarding MB purchase. Since lots of rumors say that a new looking MB (probably with aluminum design) will be available with the release of Leopard on or after 10/26. Although I think the possibility is tiny, I still have such a concern to buy an MB now or anytime soon when the Leopard is out.

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danzzz View Post

I have a very similar question regarding MB purchase. Since lots of rumors say that a new looking MB (probably with aluminum design) will be available with the release of Leopard on or after 10/26. Although I think the possibility is tiny, I still have such a concern to buy an MB now or anytime soon when the Leopard is out.

Any suggestions?

buy it. leopard comes out in less than 2 weeks. apple has a 2 week refund policy if a new version of something has come out.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarib View Post

yes helpful answer. im in the same boat as Saint actually and I think im just going to buy the MBP on Oct 26 to make sure it comes with Leopard preinstalled rather than me having to install it. no hardware upgrade was announced with leopard so almost certainly wont happen before next year.

quick Q as a new mac user,, do you recommend antiglare or glossy for the display for MBP?

Its all personal preference. If you do professional work (i.e. Photography, etc) then you'll want the matte screen. Personally I LOVE the glossy screen. It really makes the colors POP and looks amazing when watching movies or just screwing around on the MBP.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Maybe they will do something small for the MacBook Pro like a 17 inch LED screen.

I bet for the next big refresh they will do:

1) A 32 or 64 MB Flash drive

2) Upgraded process and graphics chips

3) Upgraded Hard Drive Options.

I am probably going to wait a bit since they will probably do at least one update by January.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshine View Post

I think you can go to the apple store online and check whether they will have anything new lately .

Umm, no you can't. Apple doesn't reveal information on upcoming products.

IE If you don't know that Leapord is going to be released Oct 26, THAT you can check on the online store/apple.com

But if you´re on an apple forum my guess is that you already know most things about the current products.

thesaint - check out this page: http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer's_Guide

It usually is a pretty good guideline
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Yeah, mon

I just laughed out loud.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I bet for the next big refresh they will do:

1) A 32 or 64 MB Flash drive

yeah you could fit a almost a couple dozen pictures on that!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    do you want to wait? Why when you could be using your cool new MacBook Pro like I am. Yes you could wait a while and get a new one better one in a few months, but a new better one is always around the corner.