Powerful Gfx on Mac; Apple Waiting for Intel?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Would Apple move in the direction where most of their Silicon are produced by Intel.

iPhone Moving to Moorestown? And Gfx moving to Intel's Larabee?

Since now Intel and Apple are now in close partnership.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think Apple will use a variation of the intel Skull Trail board for the next Mac Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Would Apple move in the direction where most of their Silicon are produced by Intel.

iPhone Moving to Moorestown? And Gfx moving to Intel's Larabee?

Since now Intel and Apple are now in close partnership.

You said powerful GFX and Apple in the same sentence!

That Larabee sounds like interesting technology, but naturally it would be built into the mobo and not upgradeable, which would make all the XMac fan boys disappointed.

It would be a folding beast though!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think Apple will use a variation of the intel Skull Trail board for the next Mac Pro.

• Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Skull Trail is a joke FB-DIMMS and weak SLI 2 Full x16 pci-e 1.1 slots are linked over a pci-e 1.1 x16 bus from the intel server chipset io to the nvidia chip.

FB-DIMMs at 800 with even more chipsets chips then the older mac pro will push prices up even higher.

A amd 4x4 system with DESKTOP ram and SLI with FULL pci-e x16 2.0 slots will a lot better and cost less.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I said a variation of Skull Trail. I don't think Apple uses stock Intel boards do they? I have a hard time believing that.

And just to throw gas on the fire here - I don't think there is anything wrong with FB-DIMMS anyway. Someone has to show me a side side real world performance test that shows just how bad they are because I am of the belief (uneducated belief) that we are talking about tenths of seconds. Whoopee...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    jimwajimwa Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Skull Trail is a joke FB-DIMMS and weak SLI 2 Full x16 pci-e 1.1 slots are linked over a pci-e 1.1 x16 bus from the intel server chipset io to the nvidia chip.

FB-DIMMs at 800 with even more chipsets chips then the older mac pro will push prices up even higher.

A amd 4x4 system with DESKTOP ram and SLI with FULL pci-e x16 2.0 slots will a lot better and cost less.

Well, if the Mac Pro is going to have ANY of the following:

1) Dual Intel Processors OR

2) More than 4 DIMM slots OR

3) Access to more than 8 GB of Ram

THEN: The Mac Pro will have:

1) Intel Xeon server processors AND

2) An Intel server chipset motherboard AND

3) FB-DIMMs

Just as the current Mac Pro does.

What you are describing is NOT a Mac Pro, but a non-mobile-based, non-server-based Intel-based desktop Mac that may or may not ever come.

If you want a cheap, powerful AMD gaming machine, it will NOT be a Mac. The intended market for the Mac Pro is NOT as a gaming machine.

I am not saying that you are wrong for wanting what you want. I am just stating the obvious direction Apple is headed with the Mac Pro. It will be a new, improved version of what the current Mac Pro is, not a machine that takes a radical new market direction.

Jim
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimwa View Post

3) FB-DIMMs

What you are describing is NOT a Mac Pro, but a non-mobile-based, non-server-based Intel-based desktop Mac that may or may not ever come.

If you want a cheap, powerful AMD gaming machine, it will NOT be a Mac. The intended market for the Mac Pro is NOT as a gaming machine.

I am not saying that you are wrong for wanting what you want. I am just stating the obvious direction Apple is headed with the Mac Pro. It will be a new, improved version of what the current Mac Pro is, not a machine that takes a radical new market direction.

Jim

I wouldn't say all that. It's in Apples best interest to make a machine capable of blistering gaming because of Boot-Camp, VMWare, and Parallels if they plan on expanding their user base. What you would consider a "Gaming Rig" from Alienware, or BOXX are also considered some of the best highend workstations made. I don't think Apple will make a departure, or degrade from what their machines are capable of now. I think they should and will expand their potential, and possibilities to encompass a wider audience and a wider range of usability.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

It's in Apples best interest to...

If I had a nickel for every time someone here said that, I'd be making more money than AAPL stock is giving me right now (and that's a bunch). I'm not saying I wouldn't want a machine like that, but to say "It's in Apple's best interest" is hubris plain and simple.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

If I had a nickel for every time someone here said that.......

And who are you again? And why do we care? If I had a nickel for every time some clown tried to undermine a rational statement with a piece of shit remark that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand I'd say I struck a nerve, and you got nothing. That's much is clear. Whoo Hoo!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

And who are you again? And why do we care? If I had a nickel for every time some clown tried to undermine a rational statement with a piece of shit remark that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand I'd say I struck a nerve, and you got nothing. That's much is clear. Whoo Hoo!

Oh, dearie, dearie... so much for the po' folk.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    All I know is that the UT3 beta demo runs like molasses on the GeForce 7300 GT (Mac Pro).

I'll buy a better card if anyone ever comes out with a new one.

The bang/$ is a little low on the ATI X1900 XT these days... even though I could probably expect a little better than double the speed under UT3.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimwa View Post

3) FB-DIMMs

Jim

A amd 4x4 system can give you a dual quad-core cpu system without the high cost sever ram and with more io at lower price then a Intel system.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    jimwajimwa Posts: 13member
    Quote:

A amd 4x4 system can give you a dual quad-core cpu system without the high cost sever ram and with more io at lower price then a Intel system.

But Apple is MARRIED to Intel now (which is why they manage to get Intel's latest and greatest before anyone else), and I see the chance of Apple selling an AMD system at slightly below ZERO. And in the Intel world, dual processors, more than 4 DIMM slots and the ability to address more than 8 GB of ram require server chip sets, server processors and FB-DIMMs.

It doesn't matter what the bargain-basement PC commodity market does. Apple refuses to become another commodity builder. And Apple will NEVER build a Conroe machine at this point in time, because Apple would not build a mid- or high-end machine with old technology (read: IF Apple ever does build a mid-range desktop, it will be with the latest and greatest parts, not chips that are long in the tooth).

So, No AMD Mac.

No non FB-DIMM Mac Pro.

No commodity-priced mid- or high-end desktop Mac.

What you can hope for is a Yorkfield based Mac desktop, of which there is absolutely no indication that Apple is planning. But, like I said, you can always hope.

Jim
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Judging by the shear nastiness of this post I'd be more inclined to think that it was your nerve that was struck.

I don't know much about Larabee, but Apple does need to do something about more timely updates with their graphics. They hang onto some the cards way too long. In some case when you're buying a new Mac, the video card is 2 generations old.

And while I can't speak for most users, I know there are plenty of 3D content creators that have video card related programs. It usually ends up pointing to drivers. Apple needs to do a better job with drivers if they want to keep gamers and content creators buying their machines.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

Judging by the shear nastiness of this post .............

Not nearly as bad or as long as it was before I edited it. But I did leave the basic fact they had noting to discredit it, but yet had to try attacking the miniscule beginning of the conjecture that really was my opinion on Apples best interest. When all else fails attack the writer I suppose. So I stuck back. That's what the net is for.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Undoubtably next MAc pro MB will be another intel varient as mac is already sourcing High end penryn processors for its release . If this release is say Nov07 the board will most likely a varient on intell skull trail which would instantly upgrade video boards to 8800 series nvidia and quadro 4600 ,5600 in sli mode as long as leopard can support driver wise.I am unsure of it FB dimm count at this time.

Up till now mac os was a 32 /64 bit system which in its applications would not address more than 4 gigs of ram per instance of application.

Now with leopard we have a 64 bit OS which will address beyond the 4 gig per instance barrier . This is the single most important factor for leopard but seemingly understood by few. This brings remarkable capabilities to the applications BUT they must all be ported to support 64 bit first to see this tecnological epiffany!

So as the applications are upgraded to support 64 bit there will be remarkable improvements mostly in the big number crunching fields as mentioned before like imaging ,3d rendering, and my field video and film ...very exciting!
    Quote:

• Reply 16 of 20
    They should try to get some g98s in there, assuming nvidia will actually has them by november.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't think Apple is waiting on anything.

They will do as they have done. They will look to Intel where it makes sense (Integrated Graphics) and they will play ATI and Nvidia off in competition for who gets the pole position for certain product lines.

Franky the majority of people don't require more than the avg graphics card. This desire to have the hottest new GPU as a standard feature is silly. BTO is for people that have unique needs.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't think Apple is waiting on anything.

They will do as they have done. They will look to Intel where it makes sense (Integrated Graphics) and they will play ATI and Nvidia off in competition for who gets the pole position for certain product lines.

Franky the majority of people don't require more than the avg graphics card. This desire to have the hottest new GPU as a standard feature is silly. BTO is for people that have unique needs.

People may not need the hottest new GPU but selling then a old 7300gt for $150 is ripping them off also the ati upgrade is way over priced as well.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

People may not need the hottest new GPU but selling then a old 7300gt for $150 is ripping them off also the ati upgrade is way over priced as well.

No $150 is nothing. Paying %27 of my income in taxes is a ripoff.

People need to understand the market. Mac Pros are aimed at people that don't fret over paying a slight premium. They need rock solid support. Apple's support ranks consistently high so I don't think there really is much cause for alarm.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

efi is the cause of that price.