When Xraid update will be released?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all!

We are considering to upgrade our current Xraid (with 14*400Gt disks), because we need more space on our backup server. Currently Apple only offers 14*500Gt setup and that is not enough for us.

Does anybody know if Xraid update to 750Gt disk is imminent? If so we´ll wait for that. Otherwise I´ll have to consider other options such as Promise SATA-RAID or something else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Seriously, are you basing your purchasing on advice you get in a rumor forum?

No offence, we may be smart and well educated, but make your decisions on what is available now, not what might be available in the future.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Someday, Apple will support 750GB disk in Xraid, but when is anyone's guess. Your best bet is to research the history of when Apple have supported previous sizes relative to when the disks where available in retail channels and then extrapolate from those data. Still, it will just be a guess.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cuiecuie Posts: 6member
    No I´m not. I already know what I want, unfortunately it is not available at the moment.

I did not ask for purchasing advice.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Someday, Apple will support 750GB disk in Xraid, but when is anyone's guess. Your best bet is to research the history of when Apple have supported previous sizes relative to when the disks where available in retail channels and then extrapolate from those data. Still, it will just be a guess.

apparently one can already buy 750Gt Apple disks separately to Xraid but they cost 70-80% of the price of new 14-disk Xraid setup which comes with 500Gt disks. I don´t want to upgrade our 400Gt´s to 750Gt´s, rather than buy new extra Xraid with 750Gt disks. If Apple already supports 750Gt disks then I thought they might be start shipping them soon with new Xraid setup.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuie View Post

apparently one can already buy 750Gt Apple disks separately to Xraid but they cost 70-80% of the price of new 14-disk Xraid setup which comes with 500Gt disks. I don´t want to upgrade our 400Gt´s to 750Gt´s, rather than buy new extra Xraid with 750Gt disks. If Apple already supports 750Gt disks then I thought they might be start shipping them soon with new Xraid setup.

That seems likely, but it's just a guess.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

uhh??? today??

Apple has had 750 GB disks in the XServe RAID for a while now, unless the Apple Store is lying...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

uhh??? today??

Apple has had 750 GB disks in the XServe RAID for a while now, unless the Apple Store is lying...

Our (Finland) Apple store says in Xraid specs: "14x500GB Apple Drive Modules"
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

It's a build-to-order option.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

I did not ask for purchasing advice.

Yes you did - you asked the notoriously uninformed rumour forum on whether you should wait or buy something else.

Which, with respect, is not a sound way to run a business.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Oh, it's a BTO option, but it might only be avalible in the USA.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Oh, it's a BTO option, but it might only be avalible in the USA.

If this BTO option means that you can custom-tailor the specs of Xraid then I don´t think we have it in Finland. That would totally solve my problem.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    There are no problems in choosing 750GB disks on the Finnish Apple Store.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Sometimes soon comes soon enough.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

There are no problems in choosing 750GB disks on the Finnish Apple Store.

Oh, you´re right! Last time I checked there was only 500Gt option and after that I have been checking only the first page offer for 14*500gt disks.

My bad, thanks for the help!