Mac OS X 10.1 Update Packaging

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just interested to know what the packaging looked like for the Mac OS X 10.1 Update. Mainly the package bought through Apple which included the Developer Tools but also the free package from stores.

I got mine direct from Apple in a plain brown envelope and am kinda p!ssed.

J :cool:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    It was a package almost exactly like the Public Beta package: thin white folder, big blue X on the front with a green aqua button saying "10.1" and inside, there was a desktop pic on one side and the CD on the other.

Nice packaging. I wonder why you didn't get it...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by gorgonzola:

<strong>It was a package almost exactly like the Public Beta package: thin white folder, big blue X on the front with a green aqua button saying "10.1" and inside, there was a desktop pic on one side and the CD on the other.

Nice packaging. I wonder why you didn't get it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm. That's really annoying

Did anyone else in the UK get no packaging?

J :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I got the free version, my Aqua button was Graphite rather than green:

<a href="http://www.appleonlooker.com/largecover.jpg"; target="_blank"></a>

Click for a larger image...

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Synotic ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Synotic:

<strong>I got the free version, my Aqua button was Graphite rather than green:

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Synotic ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

So even the freebie version had a folder!! I thought that part of the money I was paying for this "free" upgrade was to pay for packaging!!

J
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Humm! I didn't get the packaging either, it just came in a envelope.

Just another example how Apple UK loves to screw with it's customers

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Mediaman ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here
  • Reply 6 of 15
    It's just a piece of cardboard with some printing on it, nothing that great. I mean, it's nice, but nothing to get pissed about because you didn't get it.

Actually, never mind. I would be upset if I didn't get it too. I'm just sick, and my iBook is half dead right now, so I'm angry at Apple and everything else.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mine also came with the Graphite aqua button.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I have two versions of the update, The first from the Apple retail store that came inside a white folder like the ones above. The second came from the apple.com store and shiped in a large box that contaned a brown envlope with just the three cd's and the install manual.

You pay for the update and get less packaging than if you got the update for free.

Later

ssmurphy
  • Reply 10 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote] You pay for the update and get less packaging than if you got the update for free.<hr></blockquote>

Does anyone know why it's like that? I think it's kinda stupid.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Does anyone know why it's like that? I think it's kinda stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The fancy packaging for the free upgrades is to make it much more noticable when displayed in stores, so that people who don't monitor the progress of OS X as closely as us weirdos here go "Oooh, it's a new version of OS X, perhaps this one is fast?".

The bare bones packaging for the mail update is to keep shipping costs to a minimum, and generally those who order the upgrade this way know what they're asking for and what they're getting. Of course it still doesn't warrant the seemingly scandalous $20 charge.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>Of course it still doesn't warrant the seemingly scandalous $20 charge.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No free updates warrant $20 for shipping unless you live on, like, Pluto or something.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I must have been thinking of the green 10.1 button Apple.com was sporting just after launch; my package had a graphite button too.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    hey, it coulda been worse:

• Reply 15 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by ssmurphy:

<strong>I have two versions of the update, The first from the Apple retail store that came inside a white folder like the ones above. The second came from the apple.com store and shiped in a large box that contaned a brown envlope with just the three cd's and the install manual.

You pay for the update and get less packaging than if you got the update for free.

Later

ssmurphy</strong><hr></blockquote>

Excuse me? You are complaining about less packaging?

Among the three CDs in the brown envelope is a full install of Mac OS 9.2.1 instead of the update only CD in the white folder, and perhaps you should count the CDs in the folder again: there are only two CDs - no Developer Tools CD.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: JLL ]</p>