is leopard free?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
im pretty sure I remember reading that what it was free if you recently bought a mac. I got my mac a little over a month ago but im not quite sure what I have to do to acquire leopard when it comes out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

im pretty sure I remember reading that what it was free if you recently bought a mac. I got my mac a little over a month ago but im not quite sure what I have to do to acquire leopard when it comes out.

If you purchased your Mac on or after Oct 1, to the 26th you can get a free copy.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I didn't....I think its ridiculous that i spent 3000$ on a mac pro and now I need to pay more for leopard ( not that what i think matters haha )...i guess ill find some "other" way of acquiring it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    well im a student and I dont have the money to buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    but you had $3000 to spend on a mac pro???

something's not right.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

I didn't....I think its ridiculous that i spent 3000$ on a mac pro and now I need to pay more for leopard ( not that what i think matters haha )...i guess ill find some "other" way of acquiring it.

I have to disagree. I do not think it is quite as ridiculous as you think it is that you now have to purchase Leopard to get it. Apple announced back in April of this year that Leopard had been planned for release in June, but that they would have to move the release back to October because of delays in development.

Seeing as how $3,000 is what I would consider a large purchase, I imagine that you would have done your research before you bought the computer as to what you needed, how much you wanted to spend, whether any updates were soon to be had, etc. Obviously Apple can't call each potential customer individually to tell them that a new Operating System will be released in October, but I feel that they have done the best that they can to notify the media, etc. of the delay in order to spread the word. The same channel through you which you learned about Leopard should have told you months ago that it was delayed, but still coming soon.

If it is the Apple STORE itself that let you down and didn't warn of an October release then you're right, they could have done a better job of giving you a least a courtesy heads up on the October release, but even then, I still feel the word was spread pretty well, beginning back in April, that Leopard was coming in October.

I would say that if you still think that you were somehow singled out or purposely left in the dark about all of this, go talk to someone at the Apple Store to see if there is anything that they can do for you; it never hurts to ask, right? I would NOT, however, expect a free upgrade. If anything, I imagine that they would include you in that group that purchased Macs since October 1 and need to send $9.95 off to Apple for an upgrade disc (to correct Gizmo-xl's post listed above).

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your new Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I have to disagree. I do not think it is quite as ridiculous as you think it is that you now have to purchase Leopard to get it. Apple announced back in April of this year that Leopard had been planned for release in June, but that they would have to move the release back to October because of delays in development.

Seeing as how $3,000 is what I would consider a large purchase, I imagine that you would have done your research before you bought the computer as to what you needed, how much you wanted to spend, whether any updates were soon to be had, etc. Obviously Apple can't call each potential customer individually to tell them that a new Operating System will be released in October, but I feel that they have done the best that they can to notify the media, etc. of the delay in order to spread the word. The same channel through you which you learned about Leopard should have told you months ago that it was delayed, but still coming soon.

If it is the Apple STORE itself that let you down and didn't warn of an October release then you're right, they could have done a better job of giving you a least a courtesy heads up on the October release, but even then, I still feel the word was spread pretty well, beginning back in April, that Leopard was coming in October.

I would say that if you still think that you were somehow singled out or purposely left in the dark about all of this, go talk to someone at the Apple Store to see if there is anything that they can do for you; it never hurts to ask, right? I would NOT, however, expect a free upgrade. If anything, I imagine that they would include you in that group that purchased Macs since October 1 and need to send $9.95 off to Apple for an upgrade disc (to correct Gizmo-xl's post listed above).

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your new Mac.

the thing is i could have sword reading "all new macs get a free leopard upgrade when its released" back in September when i bought my computer. I guess i was wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    Right. All new Macs. How long do you think your Mac will be "new"? Technically, it wasn't "new" when you walked out of the store with it.

Tiger is an excellent OS. You're not exactly left behind in the mud if you use it.

Some are complaining how there's no need to upgrade to Leopard because it has so few features. Some say they won't install it until next year, for fear of bugs. Some want it for free, as soon it's out because running Tiger is unthinkable to them. You can never please people.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    If you are a student then you can get the edu pricing.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    My 2 cents

If you have bought a Mac Pro there seems to me at least, a fair likelyhood that you will be using some highend apps these may not run perfectly in leopard but WILL in Tiger there is always drama surrounding OS updates with third party drivers and such.

Are you using any apps that might fall into the "pro" area?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Um, as much as this blackmajik person is trying to switch over to Mac, if you read all the previous posts in other threads, let's just say he is not having a "smooth" transition. Blackmajik, in all honesty, I am not sure if you should have bought a Mac. I see quite a number of people these days that get a Mac and do nothing but complain for a few years after.