will apple get rid of non glossy displays on laptops...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
will apple ever have only glossy display option on there laptops, i hope not , i hate glossy, i also hope that they put non glossy back in iMac ..PLEASE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

will apple ever have only glossy display option on there laptops, i hope not , i hate glossy, i also hope that they put non glossy back in iMac ..PLEASE

The glass makes the iMac glossy, I can't imagine them making an iMac without the glass anytime soon.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I hope apple offers the iMac in matte - but I don't hold my breath on it.

I would never buy a glossy display! Do you listen Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firevsh2o View Post

I hope apple offers the iMac in matte - but I don't hold my breath on it.

I would never buy a glossy display! Do you listen Apple?

well on the contrary:

I'd love a "glas"-protected laptop.

now these nonglossy screens are also nonresistant .. unprotected , more vulnerable etc.

for instance \ Imagine you have a pet..
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

It's not going back in the iMac, at least not for this generation, if ever. I think they will probably keep Matte screens as an option for the laptop displays though, for a while at least.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

It's not going back in the iMac, at least not for this generation, if ever. I think they will probably keep Matte screens as an option for the laptop displays though, for a while at least.

i got the glossy screen. i love it, it's shiny and purdy and i don't have any problems with glare and the picture is beautiful.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Doesn't the glass add weight?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I hope Apple gives both options for the ACDs and MacBook pro's in the future. Yes the glossy is cool looking, but the glare is annoying and I rather have the non-glossy look when using program like Photoshop and After Effects. Color correction is key and the glossy seems to make everything too saturate IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Really, only CRTs offer perfect color, (i mean good ones, not shitty $20 ones), and glossy LCDs come close. I still use a CRT because of the color.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    CRT's are the way to go if Colors are a major issue for your work. No doubt.

Glossy screens for sure saturate the colors, so having that ONLY option on ACDs and laptops I don't think is a good idea.

Keep both options, so at least that gives people a choice.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Doesn't the glass add weight?

No, glass has zero weight.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

• Reply 12 of 17
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

no doubt it does .. that's why i typed "glass" , but it adds smth like 200 grams max.

i'd take a mac that's a bit heavier , if it would make it more durable.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

that is one strange and ugly looking bird.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I suppose this will depend heavily on sales numbers of people ordering the matte displays. Even so, anti-reflective (the iMac's "glossy") screen bezels are generally preferred to anti-glare (matte finish) screen bezels for industrial uses, even those in direct sunlight. I bring up "industrial uses," because in these cases, there's no excuse for technology that is a hindrance. If, in fact, the tech is a hindrance, it won't be used (or bought).

I get the feeling that most of the matte crowd hasn't even seen an iMac -- it's a world apart from the commodity PC's that don't use anti-reflective coating on their glossy bezels.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripo View Post

no doubt it does .. that's why i typed "glass" , but it adds smth like 200 grams max.

i'd take a mac that's a bit heavier , if it would make it more durable.

I certainly wouldn't want an extra 100 or 200 grams in a laptop. My 12" PowerBook already weighs about double what it should.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I suppose this will depend heavily on sales numbers of people ordering the matte displays. Even so, anti-reflective (the iMac's "glossy") screen bezels are generally preferred to anti-glare (matte finish) screen bezels for industrial uses, even those in direct sunlight. I bring up "industrial uses," because in these cases, there's no excuse for technology that is a hindrance. If, in fact, the tech is a hindrance, it won't be used (or bought).

I get the feeling that most of the matte crowd hasn't even seen an iMac -- it's a world apart from the commodity PC's that don't use anti-reflective coating on their glossy bezels.

The iMac glass is NOT antireflective. Please compare the iMac glass to the one B&O uses on their TVs - that IS antireflective.

What is industrial use in your opinion? You can't place the new iMac where it is directly in the sunlight or under a normal bureau lightning without getting a headache looking at it for hours (and YES i tried a new iMac for two days - and I can't live with that screen...)

Apple should at least give us the choice!.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

You're kidding. You could use an iMac screen to tackle Gorgons.