Convince me that an 802.11N Airport Extreme is worth it....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am debating on getting the Airport Extreme but I am not sure as to what benefits it offers over a Linksys/D-Link/Netgear 802.11n router. Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Man, I hate that construction: "convince me." Convince yourself--you know your needs, ample information is on the web about both products, and if you have specific questions about using either one that you want people to respond to, feel free to post further.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I'll tell you this: setting up an AirPort Extreme will be easier then setting up another router
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Set-up and user interface is almost the only difference... once set up, a router is a router... it might as well be invisible.

The big "difference" feature with the Apple Airport is it's USB port which can host printers and drives. Any USB drive can become a networked drive... much cheaper than a Ethernet enabled drive. Same for printers. And you can plug in a USB hub so that you can "host" any number of printers/drives from the Airport.

But if you're not gonna use that feature, and you can handle a poor interface for initial set-up, then you might as well go with whatever's cheapest.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Can the Airport Extreme host a USB webcam?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looks good, nice software, easy set-up, good reception according to reviews, Apple usually provides better customer support. I'd rather pay more and just be very sure I was never going to have many problems. I can't afford to waste time on such a silly thing as a wireless router, and I suspect most people are like that nowadays. When I get my iPhone in 2008, or my Apple TV with a slot load DVD drive, I'll be snapping up an Airport Extreme there and then.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Same for printers. And you can plug in a USB hub so that you can "host" any number of printers/drives from the Airport.

I have a G4 tower with no wi-fi. Is there any way I could use the system you outlined? I see USB gadgets with wi-fi capability advertised. If I plug one into my computer, would that work if the printer is plugged into the base station?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I have a G4 tower with no wi-fi. Is there any way I could use the system you outlined? I see USB gadgets with wi-fi capability advertised. If I plug one into my computer, would that work if the printer is plugged into the base station?

Do you mean a wi-fi "dongle" that plugs into your USB port ? That will then give your G4 WiFi capability ?... In that case, then yes, you'd have access to any printers/drives connected to the Airport.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Do they do 5ghz like the AE.n does? a lot of routers say .n but still only in 2.4ghz
  • Reply 9 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post

Do they do 5ghz like the AE.n does? a lot of routers say .n but still only in 2.4ghz

Yes, there is a 5GHz mode.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Ergh...I didn't mean the Extreme - I meant the basic Airport (the $180 one). It's a bit pricey but I expect it's that way for a reason....that's the one I need to know about
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Ergh...I didn't mean the Extreme - I meant the basic Airport (the $180 one). It's a bit pricey but I expect it's that way for a reason....that's the one I need to know about

That is the Extreme. And like others have said, the only reason to go with the AirPort Extreme is if the extra features or ease of setup are worth the price premium to you.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Ah, ok. Thanks guys...please excuse the ignorance