Leopard dock gets new look when on the side.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The shipping version of Leopard has at least one surprise;

the dock changes when placed on the side.

It looks a lot like the current Tiger dock on the side, except the matte transparent color is black and the entire dock gets a white outline.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/23/...visual-tweaks/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

The shipping version of Leopard has at least one surprise;

the dock changes when placed on the side.

It looks a lot like the current Tiger dock on the side, except the matte transparent color is black and the entire dock gets a white outline.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/23/...visual-tweaks/

that looks pretty ugly if i must say so myself. doesn't even look 3d. mabye i just can't see it.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I actually like the new look much more than the shelf thing. Cool.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

that looks pretty ugly if i must say so myself. doesn't even look 3d. mabye i just can't see it.

I believe that's the whole point; it's not three dimensional when on the sides anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This is totally awesome. I always run my toolbar *exactly* like that on the left.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

And by "ugly" I take you mean "virtually identical to the current dock"?

As a side dock man myself, that image looks almost indistinguishable from what I've got now, barring the slight white line and darker background.

To which I say: Hallelujah!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And by "ugly" I take you mean "virtually identical to the current dock"?

As a side dock man myself, that image looks almost indistinguishable from what I've got now, barring the slight white line and darker background.

Not ture actually. It's more different than you think.

• Reply 7 of 17
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Honestly I think its a subtle but huge improvement.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Seems like a stopgap feature until they can make a proper 3D side-dock.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    No it's a metaphor. It means they don't have a clue what they're doing so any old inconsistent behaviour passes as long as it looks a little better than the competition.

People were all saying about how this 3D dock means the desktop is now 3D blah blah. Well that's out the window now and we have a flat dock on the left and a 3D one on the bottom. We have bubbly scrollbars/buttons but subtle flat shaded windows.

Inconsistency++.

Why can't they just let us choose for ourselves dammit.

Also, why is it black but the bottom one is white? Has that been changed too?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Bring back the OS9 drop down menu (as revived by "XMenu")! Way more efficient, frees up all that screen space. The Dock is a dud.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    why is the leopard pic gone? apple took told someone to?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Well, as I say, "except for the slight white line and darker background". Since the new dock picture is against a dark desktop, the background difference is maximized in the comparison you post.

At any rate, I was responding to the idea that the new side Dock is "ugly", considering it does not stray far from the current implementation. And, for my money, it's vastly better than the 3D dock, which I consider one of Apple's worst UI ideas ever.

Looks like the glowing blue app dots are also different-- just white dots without any blur? Again, against a black desktop all well and good, I'll have to wait and see how they work with lighter images. In this case, at least, the new dark dock background serves a real purpose.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, as I say, "except for the slight white line and darker background". Since the new dock picture is against a dark desktop, the background difference is maximized in the comparison you post.

I actually missed the part where you said "darker background", but I still think you are wrong about how little they are different, there's a number of little factors which lead to a "different" look. So your saying I'm not allowed to use darker backgrounds, are you? I usually do, so for me it will be noticeably different, when I use the dock on its side (which is never).
  • Reply 14 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Alright, still hoping for non-aqua scrollbars!!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

I actually missed the part where you said "darker background", but I still think you are wrong about how little they are different, there's a number of little factors which lead to a "different" look. So your saying I'm not allowed to use darker backgrounds, are you? I usually do, so for me it will be noticeably different, when I use the dock on its side (which is never).

Yes, it's true: I'm going to have to disallow dark desktop images. Sorry dude, you'll adapt.

At any rate, different or no, I don't think it's "different enough" to put off anyone who has been comfortable with the current dock, and may actually be better (for me).

Which is terrific, since I was bracing myself for the horror of the 3D side dock.

Thank you, Apple, for tacitly acknowledging the superior wisdom of the side dock.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Alright, still hoping for non-aqua scrollbars!!

Very true. Apple needs to finish what they started with the iTunes theme being applied across the board. They even made it all the way through a couple iLife apps, but mysteriously left the polish out of the rest. Rush?

There is a whole thread devoted to it. But be careful of posting in there. you will get flamed for nay mention of Apple needing to update the scrollbars and buttons to match the new theme.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79557
  • Reply 17 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bring back the OS9 drop down menu (as revived by "XMenu")! Way more efficient, frees up all that screen space. The Dock is a dud.

That was bad news. Was not a launcher at all and didn't allow you to quickly see what was open.

-Isaac