converting video to iphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have tried it all and im out of ideas. can anyone tell me how to convert my dvds or img files or iso files or avi or mpeg to the iphone format. i even tried convert and the video is simply a white picture. i thought that iphone supports mp4 but everytime i try to ad in itunes it says its incompatible. help would be great or some form of tutorial

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    If you have a Mac, use a program called "HandBrake". It's got defaults for iPod/iPhone video conversion. Put the DVD in, select the disk in the "open" dialog on HandBrake", select one of the iPod default conversion presets, and a suitable file is created (probably on your desktop) that you can drag into your iTunes video collection and sync to your device.

If you don't have a Mac it's still possible and there's a version of HandBrake for Windows too, but not as easy because of the CSS protection. I'm not sure what you need to do to get around that.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I think you can also use Quicktime 7 (paid verson) to convert other files. For copy protected DVD I have found MacTheRipper works great on a Mac. I also use HandBrake (GREAT PROGRAM!!)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    here a small summary

mac the ripper

-takes out copy protection

handbreak

-rip dvds

-lots of export options

-converts into something a ipod or iphone will take

quicktime pro ($)

-does not rip dvds

-does not remove copy protection

-converts a lot of movie formats into something a ipod or iphone will take

-lots of export options

handbreak

-rip dvds

-lots of export options

-converts into something a ipod or iphone will takeB]isquint[/B]

-does not rip dvds

-does not remove copy protection

-converts a lot of movie formats into something a ipod or iphone will take

-lots of export options
  • Reply 4 of 8
    of corse you are only allowed to rip your own dvds as a backup
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ok thanksfor your responses.

Im on PC so i could use handbrake which i have. I also have at pro but it didnt work. SO if i have a dvd rip lets say that weighs about 700mb , can handbrake convert this to a iphone type file. for a dvd a retail dvd how long does it take handbrake to make it into an iphone format? and what settings do i choose

?

i actually got some mp4 h264 files but they would not work either
  • Reply 6 of 8
    handbreak offers presets for the iphone.

if you still have questions, they have a pretty good forum
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julienhi View Post

ok thanksfor your responses.

Im on PC so i could use handbrake which i have. I also have at pro but it didnt work. SO if i have a dvd rip lets say that weighs about 700mb , can handbrake convert this to a iphone type file. for a dvd a retail dvd how long does it take handbrake to make it into an iphone format? and what settings do i choose

?

i actually got some mp4 h264 files but they would not work either

Handbreak will rip most dvd's but many (Sony)/Newer DVD's it will not copy because of copy protection. First rip the DVD with MacTheRipper then use Handbreak on the ripped files to convert them to mp4 format for the iphone.

FYI you need the current version MacThe Ripper for this to work.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    There is some iPhone converter suite program that is your best choice.

It is generally a combination of DVD to iPhone converter, Video to iPhone converter or something like that.