Leopard Upgrade Experience

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    Canon i9900 printer issue resolved. Even though Apple claims they had the printer's driver. I downloaded the latest from canon and I can now see the printer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennysb View Post

Opps,

I just try to add my printers.

My USB Hiti 730PS came up without my help

BUT My Canon i9900 inkjet which I had connected via firewire, well it just does not show. Th eprinter set-up is a little diff in Leopard

• Reply 82 of 171
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

80 bucks plus ten years off of your life, you mean!

I'm not hearing any of the stress filled cries for help that Vista (ha!) elicited.

V/R,

Aries 1B

I think people are having about the same problems as they had with Vista. Its just there are so many fewer people it doesn't seem as bad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Then I suggest you enjoy your PC life.

I own a Mac, what are you talking about? I was simply stating the price difference isn't as bad as that person was saying. As it is I only run Vista to play games, and being in grad school I haven't had time to do that in months!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Sweet.

Blue Screen of Death

Viruses

Spyware

Trojans (the not fun kinds)

Snake-Oil Gates

Sweaty McBallmer

Nothing that "just works"

Sync problems from hell

OS problems that take down entire drives, files and all

Ancient, contradicting, and obsolete code patches on top of old patches on top of stolen software.

Wow. It's a real toss up.

I personally didn't have any of those problems when I installed Vista on my MBP. I haven't upgraded to Leopard so I can't compare the upgrade process though.
  • Reply 83 of 171
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Did a standard upgrade and so far so good. Will repot in in the AM.
  • Reply 84 of 171
    I have two Intel Macs.

On the Mac Mini I did the straight Leopard upgrade as this machine is only 5 days old, and it hung up after installation. I had to do a forced shutdown (I gave it 30 minutes to restart on it's own), but afterwards it started up as normal and everything seems to be OK.

On my MacBook I did the archive and install, that method worked exactly as it should... no problems.

From everything I'm reading online from other users experience's at several different forums, definitely do an archive and install.
  • Reply 85 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeloRandy View Post

I have two Intel Macs.

On the Mac Mini I did the straight Leopard upgrade as this machine is only 5 days old, and it hung up after installation. I had to do a forced shutdown (I gave it 30 minutes to restart on it's own), but afterwards it started up as normal and everything seems to be OK.

The first boot takes a long time. That's why they said go get a cup of coffee. I went for a half hour walk and when I came back there was a blank screen. I just left it alone and it eventually booted up normally.

m
  • Reply 86 of 171
    Well I have try everything other than installing the OS from scratch instead of just upgrading.

Does the Leopard installer have an option to erase the disk and install the OS from scratch? I know that sounds painful, but I have organize backups of everything so I can do this without much pain (other than time consume)

I probably will wait until Monday, since I am planning to call tech support, just in case there is a simple easy way out of my little problem.. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku View Post

Well you're not the first to have it, I had it in one of my other systems. But isn't as persistent as yours.

Make another user account, and try to run photoshop on that. if it still does it, then it's not a pref problem, and you might need to weed some stuff out :/

• Reply 87 of 171
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:

Well I have try everything other than installing the OS from scratch instead of just upgrading.

Does the Leopard installer have an option to erase the disk and install the OS from scratch? I know that sounds painful, but I have organize backups of everything so I can do this without much pain (other than time consume)

I probably will wait until Monday, since I am planning to call tech support, just in case there is a simple easy way out of my little problem.. \

archive install, is the thing you're looking for.

But before you do that, you'll want to go through the motions checklist first, and if you do call support, you tell them you've done it in sucession.

1: Perf deletion.

2: Disk Utlity, both permissions and disk

3: reinstallation of CS3, first uninstalling it first completely

4: Hold shift key and boot into safe mode, try running CS3 (?)

5: Use adobe updater and update to CS3 latest.

5:have you installed any other beta builds of Leopard before on that computer? This was also a problem with older builds of leopard, and had to do with a system knext file.
  • Reply 88 of 171
    Great info Kuku! I will definately follow the steps.

Question: what do you mean by "Disk Utlity, both permissions and disk"?

Oh BTW, No I did not ran beta builds of Leopard, but did ran public beta of Photoshop CS3.

Thanks again

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku View Post

archive install, is the thing you're looking for.

But before you do that, you'll want to go through the motions checklist first, and if you do call support, you tell them you've done it in sucession.

1: Perf deletion.

2: Disk Utlity, both permissions and disk

3: reinstallation of CS3, first uninstalling it first completely

4: Hold shift key and boot into safe mode, try running CS3 (?)

5: Use adobe updater and update to CS3 latest.

5:have you installed any other beta builds of Leopard before on that computer? This was also a problem with older builds of leopard, and had to do with a system knext file.

• Reply 89 of 171
    Installed Leopard this afternoon on my 12 inch PowerBook G4 1 Ghz, 1.25 GB Ram, 60 GB HD.

Did a zero all data format and install. Backed-up using CCC 3 to my iPod, Migration Assistant brought everything over no problem.

I have purchased every release of OS X since it was unleashed, and Leopard is considerably faster than Tiger and everything before it. Especially after Spotlight finishes indexing. Still getting used to things, but spaces is pretty cool, and I kinda like stacks, too.

Overall, I am impressed.
  • Reply 90 of 171
    Clean Install.

I've run into the following issues:

1) Flip4Mac will not allow you to register with a clean install unless you use the Flip4Mac Beta. Problem with a missing eSellerate engine.

2) Pixen 3.0 does not work—at all. You must use 3.1b.

3) A lot of icons for 3rd party apps are low resolution in Coverflow view.

4) Repair Permissions (Disk Utility) takes FOREVER (5 to 20 minutes, depending on system), and returns an error about ARDagent.app.

5) Since AIImageViewWithImagePicker is disabled (or non-existent) on 10.5, applications which used it (ie. Adium), now have that functionality disabled.

6) You must make SURE that you tell Time Machine to omit the directory for a VM using VMWare Fusion and Windows Vista. If you have a Windows Vista VM running while Time Machine attempts to backup, it will freeze both the virtual machine and the backup procedure, and may corrupt your entire VM.

7) Verify Disk (Disk Utility) also takes forever.

8) For some reason, holding down "C" at startup to boot do a CD does NOT work with an Intel Core Duo iMac (Gen. 1) and the new wired Apple Keyboard.

#4 seems to be a widespread issue (not sure I'm ready to call it a "problem"). I believe everyone who has done the Apple Remote Desktop update via Software Update is affected. The Apple Discussion Forums are littered with people asking about the issue.

#8 is particularly perplexing to me.

Everyone who has done the Apple Remote Desktop Client v3.2.1 update via Software Update post-Leopard install, please run a Repair Permissions through Disk Utility and tell me if you receive an error. Be aware that Repair Permissions seems to take forever. It may seem frozen. It is not. It can take up to 20 minutes.
  • Reply 91 of 171
    Did a simple upgrade on both my iMac (core duo, 2 Ghz 20 inch 2GB) and my macbook (core2 duo, 2Ghz, 2 GB). Both went perfect. No problems to report and all leopard features work smooth as butter.

Overall, both computers seem a bit more speedy and responsive after the update. Quite an achievement considering everything they added!
  • Reply 92 of 171
    Upgrade was great, so seamless and simple. Took a little longer than I expect (about an hour) on my MacBook Pro and on the new family iMac. So far Leopard seems very stable and I havn't experienced any problems.
  • Reply 93 of 171
    Upgrade was flawless on a new Aluminium 20" iMac via Archive System Folder and install.

Have only noticed one bug; the itunes album art screensaver displays all the covers with a deep purple tinge... looks very odd! But if thats the worst bug i can find then i'm very happy!
  • Reply 94 of 171
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ralphthemagician View Post

Clean Install.

I've run into the following issues:

1) Flip4Mac will not allow you to register with a clean install unless you use the Flip4Mac Beta. Problem with a missing eSellerate engine.

2) Pixen 3.0 does not work—at all. You must use 3.1b.

3) A lot of icons for 3rd party apps are low resolution in Coverflow view.

4) Repair Permissions (Disk Utility) takes FOREVER (5 to 20 minutes, depending on system), and returns an error about ARDagent.app.

5) Since AIImageViewWithImagePicker is disabled (or non-existent) on 10.5, applications which used it (ie. Adium), now have that functionality disabled.

6) You must make SURE that you tell Time Machine to omit the directory for a VM using VMWare Fusion and Windows Vista. If you have a Windows Vista VM running while Time Machine attempts to backup, it will freeze both the virtual machine and the backup procedure, and may corrupt your entire VM.

7) Verify Disk (Disk Utility) also takes forever.

8) For some reason, holding down "C" at startup to boot do a CD does NOT work with an Intel Core Duo iMac (Gen. 1) and the new wired Apple Keyboard.

#4 seems to be a widespread issue (not sure I'm ready to call it a "problem"). I believe everyone who has done the Apple Remote Desktop update via Software Update is affected. The Apple Discussion Forums are littered with people asking about the issue.

#8 is particularly perplexing to me.

Everyone who has done the Apple Remote Desktop Client v3.2.1 update via Software Update post-Leopard install, please run a Repair Permissions through Disk Utility and tell me if you receive an error. Be aware that Repair Permissions seems to take forever. It may seem frozen. It is not. It can take up to 20 minutes.

Yes, I get a can't repair a certain file error on my MBP.
  • Reply 95 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I installed on a 12" 867 MHz G4 with 640 MB of RAM. Everything seems to be running quite well, in spite of being on the lower end of things. In fact, everything runs at least as fast and in some cases faster than in Tiger.

A few things I noted during install:

1. I didn't see any choices for the installation. No Upgrade vs. Archive and Install, etc.? I thought that was weird. It seems like it just did an upgrade without asking.

2. Anyway, my keychains, preferences, etc. seem to be mostly intact. I had to reinstall my printers and when connecting to my wireless network put in the password again even though I opened keychain and the old keychain item was still there.

3. The registration and welcome to Leopard now runs after loading the desktop, etc. the first time you start up instead of before. That's kind of Windows-y.

4. The other Windows-y thing I noticed is that there was a software update almost immediately after I started up and it required a restart. But instead of installing while I was working and then restarting, it logged out and installed and then shut down. That's pretty lame.

5. On the plus side, instead of just hanging on restart for 10 mins with no explanation, there was a popup message that it was doing something to the boot cache which was more reassuring for the usual post-update boot waiting-and-praying.
  • Reply 96 of 171
    As for the operating system itself, everything so far has been almost definite pluses. There are a LOT of things that I've often thought were pretty obvious failing of an otherwise good OS that are now set right.

On login, there is now a button if you forgot your password, you don't have to type it three times to get a hint.

Spaces is pretty awesome, doesn't seem to take much resources at all. There is a weird point in the Expose-Spaces paradigm because now when you expose all windows, you really only get all windows in your current space, which means that you sometimes need to do searching for windows that was not necessary before. I still have to give myself time to get used to it, but I think it may be appropriate to have a fourth expose command that does ALL windows in every space.

The printer setup in the preferences is a nice design, but it seems to be rather buggy. It has trouble finding drivers (and the spinning, busy icon-thingy is really screwed up it, like, blinks) and for Windows-shared printers, after logging in, it closes the window for some reason and you have to push plus again and then you will be logged-in and can choose your printer.

Stacks-- They are very weird. I don't know who the hell thought of them but it seems to me they are a remarkable stupid idea. Maybe the have something more planned to add onto them that will make them semi-useful. Here's hoping.

Searching in menus via help-->Genius.

The dock appearance issues--> non-issues. I was really interested in seeing what the difference would be but honestly, it's barely noticeable, especially if the dock is pretty small, which it will be if you have a lot of icons.

The menu bar--> really a NON-ISSUE. Get over it people! It is honestly not even transparent enough to be noticeable in the release copy of Leopard. Seriously. There is no issue here. Move on.

Spotlight--> HUGE improvement here. It is actually fast enough, consistently enough to be really useful.

They've fixed bugs in mail.

The finder-- Networking is finally fixed. 'Bout damn time.

Mail- activity viewer only shows getting and sending mail, not every time you check the server. (There is still the old window for that)

Safari- Very nice. Webclip works remarkably well.

FTP: I heard someone else say that they could copy onto FTP drives? I still cannot, it says I don't have permission just as before, I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone else tried this? I have permissions because I can log on in CyberDuck and copy files fine, so it's not that.
  • Reply 97 of 171
    Oh.

And quicklook-> AMAZING.

I was expecting that it would be slow and all and not really useful for my system (like dashboard). I was very pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. It is the best thing for me since white bread. I used it to sift through all the files on my desktop that I've been meaning to clean up for literally years, and now I have a completely clean desktop with the new leaves background (which, by the way is really nice.).

Oh yeah, and Alex, the new voice. Astonishing!
  • Reply 98 of 171
    WAIT! No classic????

How did I miss this?

C'mon man, all my cool old System 7 games......

Now, I'm gonna have to buy an G5 in a few years and keep Tiger on it to run all my nostalgic old software.

Orrr.... does anyone know of any good emulators for Leopard that will run through System 7?

That IS kind of sad.....
  • Reply 99 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cube View Post

Hi.

Has anyone had anny trubble with Adobe CS3 and leopard?

Im thinking about upgrading tonight, but i hva to be sure that it is no problem with CS3 and leopard.

Adobe CS3 will run just fine in Leopard. Be forewarned, however, that you'll have to migrate CS3 from your Tiger volume. The CS3 Installer DVD will NOT successfully install the needed shared components. I tried for over three hours this weekend before giving up, going to a Tiger volume installing CS3 there with all its upgrades, then using Migration Assistant in Leopard to bring the apps over from the Tiger partition. That worked perfectly.

Adobe's site says that the CS3 apps are compatible, but fails to note that the installer on the DVD doesn't work properly in Leopard. They also note some problems with Acrobat Professional that will require a patch due out in late January 2008.
  • Reply 100 of 171
    Quote:

I noticed that the Apple Leopard Tour shows the desktop clean with NO HD on the desktop.

After Installing Leopard, My 3 HD are still showing on the desktop. Does anyone know how to make it go away?

THX

Click on the Desktop to get back to the Finder, go to Preferences/General, uncheck "Show these items on the Desktop...Hard Disks." It's not new. I actually prefer to see mounted local and shared network drives on the Desktop.