Leopard Upgrade Experience

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Vista ultimte in NZ would set me back NZ$800, Lepoard, NZ$199 incl gst.

Leopard is also only $69 from an authorized university computer store/bookstore with your validated student ID. The point is that Vista Home Premium is not $80 retail. There are always ways to game the system.
  • Reply 142 of 171
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well, I upgraded today. I'm up and running now and I really like the OS. I like the dock, spaces, stacks, the new mail, etc.

I did have some issues at first, and I'm not sure why. When I first got my screen up (I did an upgrade install), Software Update did some updating, and I restarted. When the system came back up, everything was REALLY slow. I got the spinning ball quite a bit. I also clicked on a stack the first time (downloads) and the machine froze with the beachball (MBP 2.33). I've been having some HDD issues, but it wasn't making any unusual noises, so I did a forced shutdown.

I restarted and then ran a permissions repair, which took a long time and fixed something in the core system. Things were still slow and apps were hanging for a long while, etc. So I started playing with some settings, loading things into ram, etc. Eventually things sped up for me and now it seems back to normal and faster than before.

In hindsight I believe it may have been spotlight indexing that was the culprit. No red flags as of now.

Any other similar experiences?
  • Reply 143 of 171
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    I did a clean install on my iMac and my MacBook. I agreed with most of the good things people are saying about Leopard (e.g., super-fast Spotlight, better networking, QuickLook). Some problems though that made me downgrade back to Tiger (at least for now), i.e.:

1. FolderShare was not syncing between my iMac and my MacBook?either new files added or existing ones edited?at least sometimes, e.g., yesterday, even when both were online and even after several hours had elapsed.

2. RSS feeds in Mail: sometimes they disappear from Mail entirely, only to reappear by themselves later after a reboot (or not). When they are there, they don?t seem to update properly, or old content that I?ve already deleted reappears. Is this caused by .Mac syncing perhaps?

3. The computer sometimes freezes after the display goes to sleep and I have to hard-reboot it.

4. I can?t access the airport base station from Airport Utility to make configuration changes, either from a computer with an Ethernet connection to it (i.e., the iMac), or from a computer with an airport connection to it (i.e., the MacBook).

5. Printing from a Windows Vista computer to my Canon MP830 connected to the iMac: black text is extremely faded; not so from other Macs and not so when I was running Tiger.

6. Can?t successfully complete a Bluetooth file transfer from my Nokia phone.

Together these bugs were enough to make me want Tiger back, which works perfectly. So I think I'm gonna wait until they release a significant Leopard update or two before I try again...
  • Reply 144 of 171
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Leopard is also only $69 from an authorized university computer store/bookstore with your validated student ID. The point is that Vista Home Premium is not $80 retail. There are always ways to game the system.

Yes, but assuming one wants to be above board and 100% 'legal'. With that being said, NZ$199 for Leopard vs. NZ$800 for Vista Ultimate - Leopard comes across as a bloody good deal.
  • Reply 145 of 171
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I did a clean install on my iMac and my MacBook. I agreed with most of the good things people are saying about Leopard (e.g., super-fast Spotlight, better networking, QuickLook). Some problems though that made me downgrade back to Tiger (at least for now), i.e.:

1. FolderShare was not syncing between my iMac and my MacBook?either new files added or existing ones edited?at least sometimes, e.g., yesterday, even when both were online and even after several hours had elapsed.

2. RSS feeds in Mail: sometimes they disappear from Mail entirely, only to reappear by themselves later after a reboot (or not). When they are there, they don?t seem to update properly, or old content that I?ve already deleted reappears. Is this caused by .Mac syncing perhaps?

3. The computer sometimes freezes after the display goes to sleep and I have to hard-reboot it.

4. I can?t access the airport base station from Airport Utility to make configuration changes, either from a computer with an Ethernet connection to it (i.e., the iMac), or from a computer with an airport connection to it (i.e., the MacBook).

5. Printing from a Windows Vista computer to my Canon MP830 connected to the iMac: black text is extremely faded; not so from other Macs and not so when I was running Tiger.

6. Can?t successfully complete a Bluetooth file transfer from my Nokia phone.

Together these bugs were enough to make me want Tiger back, which works perfectly. So I think I'm gonna wait until they release a significant Leopard update or two before I try again...

Clean install, upgrade or 'archive and install'?

All very well foaming out the mouth, but without context, it looks like a rant more than anything else.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Clean install, upgrade or 'archive and install'?

All very well foaming out the mouth, but without context, it looks like a rant more than anything else.

I said it was a clean install (first sentence). Surely nobody could misconstrue what I wrote as a "rant", let alone "foaming at the mouth." I simply wrote that I agreed with many of the good things others had said about Leopard, then went on to list several problems that are preventing me from using Leopard for now. I won't say that I'm immune from ranting, but that sure wasn't one. Others who are contemplating upgrading and have a similar configuration to mine may find my experience of interest, which is the main reason why I decided to contribute to this discussion.
  • Reply 147 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

4. I can’t access the airport base station from Airport Utility to make configuration changes, either from a computer with an Ethernet connection to it (i.e., the iMac), or from a computer with an airport connection to it (i.e., the MacBook).

I'm having no problems accessing my AirPort Express with AirPort Utility on my PowerBook G4, nor from any of my other wired Macs at home. All have been upgraded to Leopard.
  • Reply 148 of 171
    Did upgrade and install. First restart seemed to be going OK until a keychain problem. Managed to download the keychain update and restart.

Blue screen of death. Login as diff user. "Finder not responding".

Can't restart off startup disk or backup drive.

NO weird apps installed. Can only see the dock, unless I find something in Spotlight.

Gonna try open it up and DISCONNECT the drive with 10.5
  • Reply 149 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjosal View Post

Did upgrade and install.

Anyone upgrading from one OS to the next would be well advised to backup their hard drive using SuperDuper! so they have a fallback bootable drive.

For my part, after doing this, I restarted from the Leopard DVD, selected ERASE and install, and proceeded cleanly with the installation. After rebooting from the clean Leopard install, I selected the MIGRATE user accounts/apps/settings option from my Tiger backup volume. That also went cleanly.

For those who don't have an external Firewire drive suitable for doing a backup, or a second hard drive in their tower, it's important to run Disk Utility to Repair Permissions, then reboot from the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility again from the Menu bar to Repair Disk to assure the directory structure isn't damaged. If you own DiskWarrior, I'd also use that to rebuild/optimize the directory structure before installing Leopard.

The point is that your Tiger installation must be pristine, as must be the directory structure on your hard drive, before you allow the Leopard DVD to begin selectively replacing key System components with the Upgrade option. If it's not, files will be overwritten that shouldn't be because they're not where the directory reports them to be. At that point your System is hosed.

You could try booting again from the Leopard DVD, starting up Disk Utility and letting it attempt a Repair Disk, and then running an Archive & Install option instead to get Leopard going. That may work, if the disk corruption isn't too severe.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    An interesting observation...the Leopard menu bar is solid and not transparent on my Power Mac G4 933MHz with 768MB of RAM. For an almost 6-year-old computer, Leopard runs pretty well. It was running 10.3.9 previously, and I decided to do an erase and install after backing up important files to another drive.
  • Reply 151 of 171
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Both of the two machines I've upgraded have lost wired networking. they will not pull an IP address off of the router. Any ideas? I'm running Leopard on a 1.9 G5 iMac and a 1.8 CoreDuo MacBook.
  • Reply 152 of 171
    I installed Leopard last weekend on my Power PC G4 1.25 Ghz with 768Mb memory, primarily for the Time Machine function (which I love). Install went flawlessly, (back-up? who me? I don't need no stinking backup!, but I had a problem with iTunes and video replays in that they stuttered, were painfully slow etc. In fact the system was slower by an order of magnitude. I Went to the local Apple store yesterday and was told that although the operating system claims the minimum system is the G4 8xx and 512 Mb of memory, that I really needed an Intel Processor and at least a GB of memory. I was wildly disappointed and accused Apple of the same bait and switch tactics of Bill Gates! We thought maybe more memory (2GB) would maybe solve the problem, but the young man was not certain. I came home a little depressed and jumped into research. I found a few others with the same issues. However, I did skip a step and as was suggested by one user I reinstalled the system, but this time I went through the Disk Verify process. I figured that I had cleaned up the disk, I did not zero it, and I ran disk Util and Disk Warrior to solve any remaining hidden issues. Alas, that is not sufficient. When I ran the install again without skipping the disk verify, it took three times as long to install, but my system is faster than Tiger (or at least seems to be) audio and video are great, an the graphics on the GForce Nvidia card are terrific.

I went back to the Apple store today and filled them in on this. None of them had heard that this was and issue, but they all wrote it down to be passed along in the future to people upgrading to Leopard. Hope this is helpful to others.
  • Reply 153 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

An interesting observation...the Leopard menu bar is solid and not transparent on my Power Mac G4 933MHz with 768MB of RAM. For an almost 6-year-old computer, Leopard runs pretty well. It was running 10.3.9 previously, and I decided to do an erase and install after backing up important files to another drive.

Same here. I think that is just the way it is?
  • Reply 154 of 171
    I installed Leopard using the archive and install method and am wondering if it's OK

to delete the left-over Classic Folders. I still have the Classic Applications and Classic System Folder on my start-up drive. Thanks
  • Reply 155 of 171
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Running great on two of my machines so far.

1st machine is a 24" iMac that was released at in January. Second machine is a Sawtooth G4 (1999) that has numerous upgrades including an ATI 9800, 1.4Ghz and 300w PSU, 2GB, USB II / Firewire card, a 111 Pioneer Superdrive and all HDD's running at 7200rpm @ 16mb cache. The only reason I mention these upgrades is that I'm sure it would be choking (with the old 450Mhz) without some of them. It seems to be very stable and it also appears snappier than Tiger.

The GUI problems don't bother me so far either. The only problems I had were getting all my drives read and mounted. They consist of 3 internal (2 set to Master and 1 set to slave) and three external, 2 usb and 1 Firewire. I can't recall what these were set to as far as the jumpers, but after fiddling with them all day, Saturday, they're running great now.

Also, I installed a new HDD as my Leo drive, so it was a fresh install. As much as a pain it was to migrate everything over manually and do all fresh application installs I'm sure that that also played a large part in it running so clean.

The only thing that bugs me is not being able to run DU as it barber poles for eternity, but I'm sure an update will remedy this.

My favorite feature so far has got to be Time Machine.

Also, no video problems what-so-ever any where, very smooth.

Peace
  • Reply 156 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by basie1955 View Post

I installed Leopard using the archive and install method and am wondering if it's OK

to delete the left-over Classic Folders. I still have the Classic Applications and Classic System Folder on my start-up drive. Thanks

Leopard doesn't support Classic. If you plan to boot up from another partition running Tiger, or earlier, on this Mac and want to run Classic, keep them. Otherwise, they're history. You could also copy them off to a CD or another hard drive, if you think you'll be using Classic on another computer.

Don't forget to move the contents of the Documents folder at the root level of your hard drive to your MacOS X user Documents folder, and delete the Documents folder at the root. That Documents folder was only used by Classic.
  • Reply 157 of 171
    Thanks Dave,

I backed up my old 10.3.9 to an external drive with SuperDuper, so I should still have Classic if I want it. Really only for Adobe's Streamline.

It looks like the Documents folder at the root level is empty and maybe always has been.

Thanks again
  • Reply 158 of 171
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Hi all,

I've got a Mac mini C2D 1.83Ghz with 1Gb mem.

On saturday I received three things:

The Leopard Upgrade Disc

2GB Corsair Mac Memory

and a USB external HD enclosure (I put a 160GB sata HD in there)

So I got the HD hooked up, and I partitioned it into two (1st part is 100GB and 2nd is 60GB).

Of course I had Tiger already on the mini, so I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the enter disc over to the 60GB partition and then erased the original 80GB drive in the mini.

And so I had nothing on the mini but was booting into Tiger just fine through my external USB drive.

After that, I took the Mini apart and put the new Memory in, turned it back on and it worked perfectly (I'll add some pics later).

The extra gig of memory really sped things up

So after the hardware upgrades it was time for the OS upgrade

I wanted to install leopard fresh onto the mini's internal HD, but I knew that the Leopard disc was going to look for a previous OS, so I had the External HD on when I put in the disc.

So I popped in the Leopard disc pressing C (so it would boot from the disc), it found it without a hitch, then the first thing it did was look for a previous OS, and of course it found it on the external HD.

After that, I had it migrate all of my Tiger stuff over to the new OS, then it took about 40min. to install Leopard.

Then after it was installed I ran Disc Utility and checked the disc's and all that (fixing a couple of things).

And I noticed that I was getting the spinning beach ball every once in a while, but it didn't bother me and I just kept checking out the new OS. So I went to check the new Spotlight, and it said it was Indexing the Drives, so I let it finish and then everything sped up a ton, no spinning beach balls!

Then I did a software update, no problems there.

I checked all of my programs (meaning, opening them to make sure they work), and everything but Photoshop 7.0 worked. I would get an error saying it isn't able to open. So I did a quick google search and found out that Photoshop 7.0 doesn't support Leopard.

Well no biggy, I'll just have to use it in windows XP.

So on Sunday my goal was to install XP using Bootcamp.

so I installed it, and it loaded up fine, but then I tried to install SP2 but it wouldn't and it would give me an error that said I needed 4 more megabites of free space or something. But I had 20GB's of free space, so it didn't make any sense to me.

So I did another google search and found that I needed to have a Windows XP SP2 Install disc to do it, I can't install XP SP1 and then upgrade to SP2 (which I tried to do).

So I erased the windows xp partition bootcamp had made and so windows and all that were gone of the disc. I'm going to be purchasing an XP SP2 install disc soon, so it's no big deal that I couldn't install windows on sunday.

But then I noticed that now, when I start the Mac mini up, after I get the grey apple sign I don't get the aqua loading bar which says that it's loading the OS, I just get a light blue screen then the page with the accounts I can log into.

Thats the only problem I've run into so far.

Any Ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

Parker
  • Reply 159 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

I wanted to install leopard fresh onto the mini's internal HD, but I knew that the Leopard disc was going to look for a previous OS, so I had the External HD on when I put in the disc.

Do you always need a previous install ? I want to install Leopard on a new internal drive, do I really need to go trough all this external-HD-with-an-earlier-OS mumbo-jumbo ?

So when you buy Leopard, it is essentially an upgrade (even if it contains the full OS on the DVD) ? ...
  • Reply 160 of 171
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

Do you always need a previous install ? I want to install Leopard on a new internal drive, do I really need to go trough all this external-HD-with-an-earlier-OS mumbo-jumbo ?

So when you buy Leopard, it is essentially an upgrade (even if it contains the full OS on the DVD) ? ...

not sure why he said that. You don't need a previous I'd on there. Its the full os or upgrade all in one?