Desktop disappeared

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Came in this morning and turned on my iMac as always and let her boot up as usual, returning three minutes later to sit down and get some stuff done but:

my desktop picture was up, the menu bar was up but no folders, HDs, nothing on the desktop.

Cleanup didn't help. I can open and close stuff through the Dock, create new folders...

WHOA! Clicking around randomly on the desktop and suddenly folders start reappearing in the original positions. This is spooky..

Pathfinder does not show that any files are invisible...

What's up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Wow.

Pulled up the desktop window from Finder and there are 5000 plus files on my desktop... seems that an export yesterday to a folder also saved copies to the desktop.

Finder must be overloaded. Am deleting files now and will see what that does.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    That seems to have done the trick. That was the spookiest thing I have seen in a long time.

Also found the sub routine that doubled the export; won't let that happen again!

Have to make up for lost time...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    if you had 5200 papers on your desk - you would get confused too!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I've never had that happen, but sometimes my desktop icons scatter even though 'Snap to Grid" is checked.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I had a problem once where I messed up some of my folders and some things similar to what you did and going to 'force quit..." and relaunching the finder did the trick for me.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I had a problem once where I messed up some of my folders and some things similar to what you did and going to 'force quit..." and relaunching the finder did the trick for me.

I tried the relaunch finder bit, and I can see how that would realign the folders and files. I had some gaps between some folders and the relaunch made them nice and neat.

I have another problem, probably not for this thread, but since you've been so helpful...

This was discussed some time ago in this forum, but I can't find the thread.

In Mail > Sent, when I try to open a sent e-mail, I get:

"The message from (my ISP mailbox) concerning ---- has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it."

I used to be able to get the Sent messages back by quitting or force quitting Mail, but that doesn't work anymore. It doesn't even make sense since they're outgoing emails, not incoming.

Any suggestions?