Too much Aqua

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I`m aware of the Themes avaiable for OS X (I like non of the few themes for either Kaleidoscope or the new project for OS X).

I just wanted to point out that with all the 3rd party devolopers using lousy Aqua-esque designs (Omni Web, WindowsMedia player for OS X etc. etc.) it`s getting to much.

It looks silly and cheap and the workplace looks like a playground.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    You must've been using Windows XP by mistake...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    huh?

OmniWeb, of everything, is as pure Aqua as you can get - everything falls into the HIG.

It's IE, office, anything MS that isn't true aqua...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    huh?

OmniWeb, of everything, is as pure Aqua as you can get - everything falls into the HIG.

It's IE, office, anything MS that isn't true aqua...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Jonathan's right. What are you talking about?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    While Omni is very Aqua... it still uses internal pics to draw some of it's GUI effects. It should be using the Extras.rsrc. And it should use the system's folders too.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I am thinking apple should relese some sort of photoShop Filter that can turn any oblject into aqua. bease developers are trying to draw aqua by hand and have no idea were to start. Aqua is very complicated and takes a lot of practise. Look at the Omni righting in Sneeky Preview of OW 4.1. it is just bevaled and embosed.

But I am not hsure if apple should release a filter like that beacuse competing compnays such as M$ could use it against them and also people would make XP themes. And that is the last thing apple whats. A really go looking Aqua XP theme

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    The aqua look and feel has been sliced, diced, analysed, improvised, and put back together again. There are few trade secrets in design (visual ones at least).

For more information on how to create an aqua button try a good photoshop site such as: <a href="http://www.planetphotoshop.com"; target="_blank">planetphotoshop</a>.

Search the archives...just about every design site took a crack at it after aqua was made public.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    i don`t like all that aqua-esque symbols at all. it`s too much even if done `well`.

aqua itself looks toyish enough.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    of course it`s all a matter of taste. so that`s something you can`t argue about.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by MemeTransport:

<strong>The aqua look and feel has been sliced, diced, analysed, improvised, and put back together again. There are few trade secrets in design (visual ones at least).

For more information on how to create an aqua button try a good photoshop site such as: <a href="http://www.planetphotoshop.com"; target="_blank">planetphotoshop</a>.

Search the archives...just about every design site took a crack at it after aqua was made public.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Aqua Buttons are easy. Aqua shapes are not.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Wow ... never saw an administrator double post before ... and if THAT wasn't bad enough, he didn't even bother erasing the duplicate and apologizing.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>Wow ... never saw an administrator double post before ... and if THAT wasn't bad enough, he didn't even bother erasing the duplicate and apologizing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

sue him why don't you.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>While Omni is very Aqua... it still uses internal pics to draw some of it's GUI effects. It should be using the Extras.rsrc. And it should use the system's folders too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And how do you suggest Omni draw the back, forward, stop, etc. buttons? Use Aqua push-buttons with just the word "Back", etc? Yes, it would make things easier to "theme" but it would make the interface very VERY ugly, IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>

And how do you suggest Omni draw the back, forward, stop, etc. buttons? Use Aqua push-buttons with just the word "Back", etc? Yes, it would make things easier to "theme" but it would make the interface very VERY ugly, IMO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No.. I wasn't talking about those. Those are just fine. Open the prefs. The "Previous" and "Next" buttons should be using the Extras.rsrc.. there are a few other things like that as well. Like the folders should be standard with the HiTToolbox.rsrc folders.