VectorMagic - The Online Tool for Precision Vectorization

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Being a graphic designer I have had my usage of bitmap to vector conversion tools. From CorelTrace! to Adobe Streamline. Currently I'm using Silhouette on my Mac and it's good, but not great (expensive too).

Now Stanford University has created an online tool that is very impressive and free. The VectorMagic web site allows you to upload your bitmap images and then convert them into smaller file sized, scalable vector art.

I decided to give it a major test. I uploaded a hi-res jpg photo (which was a little too high - it was reduced slightly by the site). I wanted to see how detailed it would render and how fast. After setting it to high detail, the rendering took about 2 minutes (they are getting Dugg right now so their servers are taxed). The results were very good bitmap on the left - vector results on the right. You can download and save the file as an EPS or SVG.

So try it out. It's free and I thought I'd share it.

PS - I found this at work, that's why it's a Windows screencap. I'll try it on my Mac when I get home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Why would you want to use Silhouette as a plug-in for Illustrator CS3? CS3 already performs this identical task.

VectorMagic, OTOH should be a nice alternative when you don't have access to Illustrator.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why would you want to use Silhouette as a plug-in for Illustrator CS3? CS3 already performs this identical task.

VectorMagic, OTOH should be a nice alternative when you don't have access to Illustrator.

I have Illustrator CS, (& prior to that the Silhouette app, not plugin) and stopped right there. Money issues. And why blow more money for one feature (that most apps had for years)? Also, I hate Illustrator with a passion.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I have Illustrator CS, (& prior to that the Silhouette app, not plugin) and stopped right there. Money issues. And why blow more money for one feature (that most apps had for years)? Also, I hate Illustrator with a passion.

I love Illustrator, with just a few exceptions.

Illustrator was the first app I learned on the Mac (Photoshop was next) for my graphic design job. I played with FreeHand for a very short time and was disgusted with its confusing interface.

Now, I use Expression (the last free version that Microsoft had available), Manga Studio EX 3.0, Sketchup, Inkscape (another free app) in addition to Illustrator to round out my vector drawing apps. Best time ever for people who love computers and love to draw.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Nice, thanks for the tip.