How to change the finder/trash icon in Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just read this thread about changing the Dock in Leopard. But I'm actually more interested in changing the Finder and Trash can icons.

Candybar 3 that supports Leopard isn't coming out until late November. Interfacelift describes a method to change the contents of Dock.app. I tried to change the finder.png that's in this folder, but it doesn't seem to change in the dock. Not after a dock restart, or after a complete reboot. I do see the changed finder icon in the Dock.app resources folder.

At the end of the Interfacelift guide it says to delete a file named 'com.apple.dock.iconcache.yourusername' from /Library/Caches/ and then restart the dock. This iconcache file isn't in this directory in Leopard. And I can't find it anywhere else on the system. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Veil View Post

I just read this thread about changing the Dock in Leopard. But I'm actually more interested in changing the Finder and Trash can icons.

Candybar 3 that supports Leopard isn't coming out until late November. Interfacelift describes a method to change the contents of Dock.app. I tried to change the finder.png that's in this folder, but it doesn't seem to change in the dock. Not after a dock restart, or after a complete reboot. I do see the changed finder icon in the Dock.app resources folder.

At the end of the Interfacelift guide it says to delete a file named 'com.apple.dock.iconcache.yourusername' from /Library/Caches/ and then restart the dock. This iconcache file isn't in this directory in Leopard. And I can't find it anywhere else on the system. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

You're restarting the Dock by going into Terminal and typing "killall Dock", right?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    veilveil Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You're restarting the Dock by going into Terminal and typing "killall Dock", right?

Indeed.