Mac OS X Up-to-Date

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
First off, I have nothing against Apple's policies, but I would like to see what the community thinks.

After having a ibook G3 for many years, my wife and I decided to go buy a new Mac desktop. (Back story - My wife had a Windows PC and I had my ibook. Her PC died and I got tired of fixing it. So, we started to use my ibook and she has now loves Mac OS X. She doesn't want windows ever! (her quote).)

Well, after a long while using the ibook as a desktop, we decided to purchase the Mac Mini. (We want a iMac 20" but the checkbook won at this round.) So, we purchased it on September 26th.

I went to the Apple Store where I purchased it and asked if somehow I could qualify for the Up-to-date program for Leapord. (Only because I purched the Mini 5 days before Oct 1st.) They said no.

I would have thought they might have extended it in a case like this. Any thoughts from the Apple community?

~Abel Jeffcoat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Hi ajeffcoat,

I also had an iBook G3 for a long time but just upgraded to the 1.83Ghz Mac mini.

But I decided to wait until before Leopard came out, and then I heard about the up to date program, so I went ahead and bought the Mac mini and ordered the Leopard up to date (I wanted to experience installing Leopard myself). So now I have my mini, and my Leopard disc is supposed to come either today or tomorrow.

But you must understand one thing. there are hundreds and hundreds of people who buy apple hardware everyday, and if everyone came to apple saying that they bought there macbook, pro, mini or what not 5 or 10 days before Oct. 1st, and Apple would give it to them?? Apple would lose a ton of money, because now those people who bought it before Oct. 1st have Leopard and don't have to pay $130 for it.

Don't know if any of that made any sense :/

But thats what I have to offer
  • Reply 2 of 4
    i can help!

my mother bought a new imac on the exact same day as you did. it did not ship until oct. 7th or somewhere around there. She called and asked if she was eligible for the up-to-date program, and apple flat out refused. After much complaining and talking, she finally received 75$ off, and it cost 55$ before tax.

That will probably be the best you can do! And for 55$ it is worth it, I love leopard and though i do notice a few glitches, i love the new features and the increased speed.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smee View Post

Hi ajeffcoat,

I also had an iBook G3 for a long time but just upgraded to the 1.83Ghz Mac mini.

But I decided to wait until before Leopard came out, and then I heard about the up to date program, so I went ahead and bought the Mac mini and ordered the Leopard up to date (I wanted to experience installing Leopard myself). So now I have my mini, and my Leopard disc is supposed to come either today or tomorrow.

But you must understand one thing. there are hundreds and hundreds of people who buy apple hardware everyday, and if everyone came to apple saying that they bought there macbook, pro, mini or what not 5 or 10 days before Oct. 1st, and Apple would give it to them?? Apple would lose a ton of money, because now those people who bought it before Oct. 1st have Leopard and don't have to pay $130 for it.

Don't know if any of that made any sense :/

But thats what I have to offer

Hi Smee,

You actually make complete sense, and after thinking about it - Apple is right. I guess I was frustrated because I bought the 2ghz Mac Mini ($799) within an Apple Store and I guess I thought they might be more understanding. I have NO doubt that Leapord is worth $129, but my checkbook is still hurting. (especially because I purchased the 16g iPod touch the day before for my wife's b-day. Which prompted us to buy the new Mac,)

Thanks again,

Abel Jeffcoat.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Apple have to draw a line somewhere. It would not be right to leave it up to the whim of Apple Store employees.