Ars' John Siracusa reviews Leopard (17 pages!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/

Peep it. Very good review, for the techie minded. He's privy to future Apple developments as well, it seems (llvm, etc)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    It always takes me a few days to read his reviews. He could be less wordy but it's always worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Absolutely spot on with the problems on the Finder views not retaining their settings, the Dock folder previews, the glassy look and the transparent Menu bar.

The Finder not being able to retain icon settings unless you specify otherwise is really the worst though - it makes the Finder almost as bad as it was in Mac OS X10.0. I moaned about this in another thread, but it really is so bad that it's put me off upgrading my main system to Leopard.

Even iTunes gives the option set this kind of behaviour globally, or individually.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    As usual, a very good in depth technical review. Anyone who complains about Leopard not being "worth it" should be directed to this article. The developments since 10.4 "under the hood" are deeply impressive.

I also like the fact the he has given due recognition to Time Machine. I've been quite surprised by the number of people who do not find it a significant feature.

Whilst, for me, the changes to how the Finder remembers (or perhaps more accurately, doesn't remember) views are actually good (I like to always use column view, perhaps now I'll never see a non-column-view window), I don't understand why Apple can't accommodate both wishes (John's "spatial" wish and my "browser" wish). Would it have been so hard to add "remember this window's view" and "apply to all windows" options? And also, isn't it time we saw the death of those irritating .DS_store files? The Path Finder 4.8 update showed the way?

Another thing I hadn't realised until I read the review, is just how crashingly brain-dead the implementation of stacks is. A stack with one document in it looks just like that document would on the dock? So you don't realise/can't be sure it's a stack (as opposed to just a document) until you click it? How dumb is that?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    its very informative. i was impressed by the amount of detail he put into it. well worth reading and a great persuasion tool.

though i'm a bit confused at a few things: how do you adjust the transparency level of menu bar? its not under appearances where i thought it'd be.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonsai1214 View Post

though i'm a bit confused at a few things: how do you adjust the transparency level of menu bar?

You can't. The transparency of the menu bar is one of the things that John and many others have been complaining about.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Great article.BTW I am glad my computer doesn't support the transparent menubar.