How do I kill the warning about not having a subject in my email in Leopard Mail?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How do I kill the warning about not having a subject in my email in Leopard Mail?

Either I am missing it or it is not there. How do I turn off the warning about not having a subject in my emails?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ...put a subject line in?

• Reply 2 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    blasphemy!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Yeah, I can see how that would get pretty grating over time. Putting just 1 space in the subject makes it go away.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Either I am missing it or it is not there. How do I turn off the warning about not having a subject in my emails?

TIA

Does it require a subject or just warn?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    It just warns. Every time.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

It just warns. Every time.

I guess that makes Apple the freekn Email Subject Line Police...

Bummer
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ldkldk Posts: 1member
    Found this thread looking for an answer to the same question.

Big Brother has gone a step too far this time.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Excuse my ignorance but why wouldn't one want to enter a subject in the subject line, isn't that what it's there for? The majority of email I receive with no subject is spam but ymmv (your mileage may vary).
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin View Post

Excuse my ignorance but why wouldn't one want to enter a subject in the subject line, isn't that what it's there for? The majority of email I receive with no subject is spam but ymmv (your mileage may vary).

I never use the subject line.

Just as the voice over feature is in 10.5 doesn't mean I have to use it. Everyone does their own thing so let the user decide if they want a subject. Besides, most spam I get has a subject.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    apinub

"I never use the subject line"

"Just as the voice over feature is in 10.5 doesn't mean I have to use it. Everyone does their own thing so let the user decide if they want a subject."

The subject line is not for your convenience. It's for those receiving the email. It lets them know what the @#$%^& you're sending. It's extremely impolite not to use the subject line.

Your post is illustrative of that fact. You don't give a @#$%^$# about those receiving your emails.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    aplnub, sounds like you've had too much Kool-Aid. The subject line shouldn't really be an optional thing. For some odd reason, I think you're just doing it to be unique. It's inconvenient and annoying for anyone that receives any email from you. If I see something without a subject line, I think it's one of three things: spam, an email from my parents or grandma, or an email from someone too lazy to summarize what they're sending me. You fit into the latter category.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Now just stop... It is entirely about Apple trying to be the email subject line police. Those of you defending it happen to be folks who use subject lines. However, the debate isn't about if we should or shouldn't use them, at least not this debate. If you want to tell everyone to use subject lines in their email, then go right ahead - knock yourself the heck out. But don't (I repeat) don't try and defend the decision of not allowing users to "turn off" the reminder if they "don't want it." Oh, sometimes, I don't use caps (at all) in my emails. I suppose that I need Apple to make a software adjustment for that too. Perhaps they should also insert unalterable reminder of when I've not sprayed perfume on my love-letter emails, or sealed those with a kiss. Give me a break, Apple store staff tried to sell me the same crap when I asked them about the feature. "Well why would you want to send a subject-line-less email? And I said, "the same reason you insist on answering a question with a question!" And who's the genius who tried to throw in the argument about the emails without subjects be spam is again baseless. How about the fact that the email SAYS THE NAME OF THE SENDER as an indicator that it may not be spam!?!?!?!? I'm much more likely to delete an email from FRANKLIN T. LONGTINGLE subject: You're New Best Friend...than one from "MOM" with no subject at all. And to the user who said that the feature isn't a feature for the convenience of the user but rather the recipient of the email is also way off his rocker. What I do on MY computer is for MY convenience first and foremost - if it wasn't, then I'd use a typewriter, slap a stamp on it, and drop it at the post office!!!!! Whew, now that I've got that off my chest - hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    If the man doesn't want to include a subject, he shouldn't have to. But again, just a space in the subject line gets rid of the warning.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jiggawhat, it's called etiquette. Apparently you've never heard of it. You seem very selfish.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I'm finding it hard to believe that there are enough people here who actually think it's good to legislate writing subject lines. I'm glad none of you are running any governments!

I would love to disable this "warning", for all the times I don't feel like using a subject line--if anyone knows of one, please post. If instead people just want to talk about why everyone should use a subject line in every email...well, in the words of the late Norman Mailer, go fug yourself.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    You could also stop saying a greeting when answering the phone.

Just pick it up and say absolutely nothing...
  • Reply 17 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I kind of agree with the warning because I hate getting emails with no subject line. However I can understand people's frustration if they don't want to use them so IMO, a simple default better than just 'none' should be in place. If you do not include a subject line, Apple should simply make the subject line something like:

"message from John Smith"

or possibly a random segment from the email (though if it was just an attachment maybe the attachment title).

This way, the recipient knows it's not spam and the lazy bugger who doesn't type in a subject line doesn't have to get annoyed about it.