iMac or eMac????

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a 20 year Windows user/system administrator and am nearing retirement. When I do, I want to close the door on Windows and never look back. I have been experimenting with Ubuntu, but I think I'd like to get into Apple computing. I'd like to ease into that cost wise to see if that's the road I want to take or if I should just convert my Windows hardware to Linux. Looking around the net, I found a site that offers iMacs and eMacs. Specs are:

iMac - Flat Panel 700mhz 15" 256mb RAM 40gb, Combo drive

eMac - 17" G4 1ghz 256mb RAM 40gig HDD CDROM

Questions is - which would give me the best insight into what Apple computing might be like. Both come loaded with OS X Tiger.

Thanks for your time.

Worn out Windows user.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I have an eMac I purchased almost two years ago. I still runs fast and is suiting my needs for now. But remember it is a Power PC processor, not an Intel. So if you want more speed and an Intel processor, you may want the current iMac.

Could you post the link to this site? I'd be curious to see whether these are new or used since the eMac has been out of production for two years.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    They are used. Here's the URL - www.wegenermedia.com.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farrard View Post

I am a 20 year Windows user/system administrator and am nearing retirement. When I do, I want to close the door on Windows and never look back. I have been experimenting with Ubuntu, but I think I'd like to get into Apple computing. I'd like to ease into that cost wise to see if that's the road I want to take or if I should just convert my Windows hardware to Linux. Looking around the net, I found a site that offers iMacs and eMacs. Specs are:

iMac - Flat Panel 700mhz 15" 256mb RAM 40gb, Combo drive

eMac - 17" G4 1ghz 256mb RAM 40gig HDD CDROM

Questions is - which would give me the best insight into what Apple computing might be like. Both come loaded with OS X Tiger.

Thanks for your time.

Worn out Windows user.

Do you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse from an older set up . If so look at a refurbished Mac Mini with an Intel processor. You can get one for about $500.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    All of my current hardware is Intel/Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farrard View Post

All of my current hardware is Intel/Windows.

You can use your current "Windows" keyboard and monitor with a mac mini. These were meant for Windows users looking to switch to a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^^

Exactly.You can recycle your old equipment. An Intel mini would allow you to upgrade your machine to Leopard in the future and likely will be supported on 10.6.

Bottom line, you'll get more milage out of an intel mini. The machines you're looking at either can't run Leopard now(the 700 mhz iMac) or just barely meets the specs(the eMac, but needs more RAM). The mini offers more value IMO.