Backup or Time Machine?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As a .Mac user and also Backup user, why would I continue to use Backup now that Time Machinei s built into Leopard?

When I installed Leopard and fired up Time Machine, it wrote over the top of all my Backup backups. Should I continue to use Time Machine, or is Backup still the way to go. As far as I can see Time Machineis the better product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

As a .Mac user and also Backup user, why would I continue to use Backup now that Time Machinei s built into Leopard?

When I installed Leopard and fired up Time Machine, it wrote over the top of all my Backup backups. Should I continue to use Time Machine, or is Backup still the way to go. As far as I can see Time Machineis the better product.

Backup always sucked, never use it again.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Backup always sucked, never use it again.

I'm using it right now. Why does it suck?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I've been using Backup for a couple years now. I've only had to use it once and it wasn't exactly a joy to restore from.

My short term solution for 10.5: keep a backup (using Backup) on one external drive while using Time Machine to backup to an other external drive. After a month, I'll decide if it's worth it to keep .mac/Backup/iDisk or just use TM.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I am going to continue to use SuperDuper along with Time Machine. At some point I may use TM only. SuperDuper is bootable and I like that.

Backup just never interested me. Still doesn't.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I use Superduper, and I'll be going over to Time Machine full time soon. Time Machine doesn't need to be bootable for me.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I use Superduper, and I'll be going over to Time Machine full time soon. Time Machine doesn't need to be bootable for me.

Well I'm going TM fulltime from now on.... but doesn't it lessen the value of .Mac even further if one of the reasons I used it is now available to everyone in a better package for free?