Apple Advertising 3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi! I am doing research for A2-level Media Studies into the affects of Apple's advertising on the ideologies, cultures, product placement and social demographics of consumers. I am starting a series of polls and open discussions that I was wandering if you could take the time to answer.

Thanks,

SilverStream

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You need to add 'No Opinion' to the options.

Unable to answer the poll.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Damn forgot that option. Bah! Cheers for the reply anyways. I'll note this problem in my conclusion.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Those four options are horrendous.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Yeah--that is a difficult question to ask as a multiple choice. I chose an answer, but i could have easily chosen another and been just as comfortable with it (not particularly).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Hard to reply because in the case of the iPod, Apple product users ARE most people... Also I wouldn't say 'better than most people' because that sounds incredibly pretentious and reminds me of a caste system or something similar. Were you going for 'are in a higher economic class' or something to the effect that they are generally more wealthy? Or maybe 'better' as in the case of smarter, which would be yes.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Apple users of a particular social class?

How do your questions relate to this?

How is sophistication correlated with social class?

You aren't asking a direct question. You are asking people to infer about what you mean by better, same, sophisticated etc... Your poll is a miserable example of all the failings of polls...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^^

It's quite a loaded question. That's why I prefer the 'No Opinion ' option.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    What hardeeharhar said.

Just between "better", "sophisticated" and "of higher social class", you have three attributes.

You'd need 2^3 = 8 poll choices to cover the possible combinations. This alone makes the poll a failure.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Also, by asking Apple users, what they think of Apple users, if anyone posits they are 'more sophisticated' or 'better' then they are just pompous asses. So really it's a poll to see how many pompous asses are Apple customers

Also, class and sophistication in my experience have no correlation. I say this as someone who lives in a wealthy neighborhood.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dang, i thought we were rating apple's advertising techniques (like tv ads), which is why i put that they are the best. Probably should have read the question more carefully.