Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How much capacity would you reccommend for a Timemachine only external drive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundman22 View Post

How much capacity would you reccommend for a Timemachine only external drive

It depends what size hard drive your Mac has. If you have an iMac with 320GB hard drive, you'd likely want to get an equally sized external.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I would think two times the amount of space you actually use would be plenty. How much of a recovery option do you want? Every single file since day one or just the latest back up?

For me I'm interested in just the latest back up. So then I only need a drive as large as my hard drive. I'm never going to reload a file may have lost two years ago. I'm guessing.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    One thing I noticed was that if you use Parallels, that big ol' honkin' Windows snapshot it takes all the time is one file. Time Machine will update that puppy a lot if you let it (I excluded it after the first go-round) and will eat up space. Just something to be aware of.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yea the Ars review covered that. Time Machine could use some better setting to tell it to only save the latest of whatever based on some stuff
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Yea the Ars review covered that. Time Machine could use some better setting to tell it to only save the latest of whatever based on some stuff

Probably coming down the pike (or third party, which is cool). It's just experimental for me, as I already have a pretty rigorous backup routine. It's just so hard to put down all the Leopard goodies.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'm going to guess that there is a .something file that you can place in a folder to tell Time Machine to only save the latest versions of files in there. It might be nice to have a pref' setting to tell it to only save one copy of a file larger than X.