Canon BJC-85 Airport printing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I first got my Airport Extreme Base Station (refurb, about 4 months ago) I promptly hooked up my BJC-85 Canon printer and was able to print wirelessly across the network. Within a day or two, it stopped working. Because I was fooling with different network issues at that point, configging and reconfigging my Base Station, I can't recall any systematic change that may have caused whatever problem I'm currently having.

The printer is recognized by Bonjour and I can set it up perfectly. The autoselect for the printer driver finds the Canon IJ driver and it appears to feel comfortable printing to it, but nothing.

When I try to print, the fan on my MBP runs at full speed until I delete the print job. The printer never makes a noise.

I am able to print to the printer by plugging the USB cable from the BJC-85 directly into my MBP.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

The printer is recognized by Bonjour and I can set it up perfectly. The autoselect for the printer driver finds the Canon IJ driver and it appears to feel comfortable printing to it, but nothing.

I am able to print to the printer by plugging the USB cable from the BJC-85 directly into my MBP.

Peter, I feel your pain. I'm in what appears to be an extremely similar situation. My printer used to print perfectly when connected to my AirPort. That all stopped when I upgraded my system to Leopard. A new driver got the printer printing just fine if I hook the USB cable directly up to my iMac, but when I hook it up to the AirPort the same thing happens to me as happens to you. It's recognized by Bonjour. It can be set up the way you'd like it. The print driver is found no problem. Try printing to it, though, and you get a whole lot of nothing. I hope somebody can help us resolve this as the AirPort printing feature is extremely handy.

John
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmeyerfail View Post

Peter, I feel your pain. I'm in what appears to be an extremely similar situation. My printer used to print perfectly when connected to my AirPort. That all stopped when I upgraded my system to Leopard. A new driver got the printer printing just fine if I hook the USB cable directly up to my iMac, but when I hook it up to the AirPort the same thing happens to me as happens to you. It's recognized by Bonjour. It can be set up the way you'd like it. The print driver is found no problem. Try printing to it, though, and you get a whole lot of nothing. I hope somebody can help us resolve this as the AirPort printing feature is extremely handy.

John

Agreed. I hope to hear more about this issue shortly. Frankly, I've been a little disappointed in Apple's failure to make it simple... it feels a little too much like the problems I used to have when I used Windows.