?Connection Failed"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz with 2 GB of memory that was running great with Tiger. No question the speed is better with Leopard, but I get the following error box that pops up exactly three times within the first five minutes of booting up:

?Connection Failed

The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again.?

My FIOS connection works fine, just as it had in Tiger.

Until I close all three error boxes I can?t Restart or Shut Down the machine, or even open the ?About This Mac? item in the main bar. It?s as if all the system resources of the machine are searching for something that isn?t there. All my applications are usable during this period. I?ve pulled all the peripherals and that didn't help the situation.

The Mac Genius folks can?t imagine what is causing the issue and want me to lug the machine into the store.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Turns out the answer is:

System Preferences

Accounts

Login Items

And using the minus key icon, delete everything in the login list and reboot.

Perfect.

Where the Apple Genius failed, AppleCare solved it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Registered just so I could leave a reply thanking you; solved my problem too.