What would you like to see in future Macbooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I would like to see what people are most interested in seeing in future updates of the Macbooks. I remember someone mentioning that Apple doesn't really need to boost processor strength and that they should focus on making it a more rounded out system.

Please comment on any thing you would like to add or if there is an option not put on there, I would definitely like to hear what you have to say.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    - screen resolution above 200 dpi

- lighter weight
  • Reply 2 of 53
    well since its a budget laptop (for Apple), I dont expect much from it except Apple should at least make it bundled with non-integrated graphics card, a lot of manufacturer at this price point is offering a GeForce 7 or 8 series. I dont mind bout the weight though, but lighter is welcoming.

Touch screen would be the second coolest upgrade (after the graphic card), but I dont think we will be seeing this technology on macbook's until 20??. Apple should offer a all-in-one card reader + some extra usb ports device bundled with future mac books/mac book pro. So it would be convinient for students.

So thats all.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You should have made it a multiple choice poll.

My vote went to

- touch screen (convertible) tablet, but

- Better graphics card, was dead even choice of things that need to be done to it weather it be MacBook, or MBP.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    SSD SSD SSD SSD and some more SDD- buffers !!!

let there be the 64GB and 32GB right after the holiday season !

Magnet latch for the MBPs.

Better graphiX and if they come up with the idea that ATIs are better, - at least an nVidia -choice.

Less weight please!

Less power consumption AND better batteries .

Monitors with greater density.

and of course : a PowerBook G6 .

• Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

You should have made it a multiple choice poll.

My vote went to

- touch screen (convertible) tablet, but

- Better graphics card, was dead even choice of things that need to be done to it weather it be MacBook, or MBP.

I was thinking about making it multiple choice, but then I thought how many people are just going to pick all of them... because, why not? I wanted this to be more focused. I wanted to see what people are really geared for.

As for the touch screen, I don't really see much use for it other than its awesome to price ratio increase. What ideas do you have for that sort of option?

I don't play games much so I don't see much need for a graphics card, though I understand that it is an exponentially increasing market that they have been slow to jump on.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I picked media slots but I really meant expresscard slot.

You can use the expresscard slot to meet a lot of different requirements:

1) SSD - 16GB ExpressCard SSD is under $200.

2) eSATA

3) FW800

4) Docking stations

5) Video (albiet at x1 speeds and expensive as heck...still an expresscard would allow you to hook up a 30" ACD or do dual monitors if you needed to)

6) 3G WAN

Personally, I feel a convertible tablet/touchscreen to be better positioned in the MBP lineup than the MB lineup.

A better graphics card is actually my first choice but then there's NO reason to get a MBP.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    MacBook (White)

2.0Ghz (C2D SR)

1GB/4GB

120GB

Super Drive

Intel GMA X3100

$999

MacBook (Black)

2.2Ghz (C2D SR)

1GB/4GB

160GB

Super Drive

Nvidia 8400GT

$1399

(1) Roundover that wrist rest edge!!!

(2) A new case would be awesome, but the current one is fine besides (1).

(3) Power supply in matching black w/ black models.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

(1) Roundover that wrist rest edge!!!

HA! And I thought I was the only one that suffered from that! Excellent ideas by the way.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    I would put

1. Media buttons on it, either on the front or near the screen

2. A HDMI output

3. Better Graphics
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnaoncfixd View Post

I was thinking about making it multiple choice, but then I thought how many people are just going to pick all of them... because, why not? I wanted this to be more focused. I wanted to see what people are really geared for.

As for the touch screen, I don't really see much use for it other than its awesome to price ratio increase. What ideas do you have for that sort of option?

I don't play games much so I don't see much need for a graphics card, though I understand that it is an exponentially increasing market that they have been slow to jump on.

My focus wasn't on the (touch screen/) part of your poll. It was geared towards the (/Tablet) side. I'm not that convinced Multi touch is ready for tablet prime time, but I think a artists/students tablet is a better platform. Not to mention the fact that if it's convertible there is no change from a laptop at all if you don't want it to be one. Apples force/pressure sensitive screen patents are intriguing to say the least.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    I voted pink fuzzy dice because there was no option for "buy something else like a Sony ultra portable" because we grow tired of waiting on Apple to make something in the 2 to 3 pound category. So, Sony TZ series, here we come.

Although I will probably wait like normal and see if Apple finally announces something at MacWorld 08

tj
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amishman View Post

I voted pink fuzzy dice because there was no option for "buy something else like a Sony ultra portable" because we grow tired of waiting on Apple to make something in the 2 to 3 pound category. So, Sony TZ series, here we come.

Although I will probably wait like normal and see if Apple finally announces something at MacWorld 08

tj

This guy has 4 posts from 2001 until now. Lets give him a sucker.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Hmmm... that's strange that it would note that I've made that many posts since 2001 considering I've only been a member for a few weeks. I haven't even had a mac that long.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnaoncfixd View Post

Hmmm... that's strange that it would note that I've made that many posts since 2001 considering I've only been a member for a few weeks. I haven't even had a mac that long.

rnaoncfixd, onlooker was clearly quoting amishman, not you.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Buy one already. I'm sick to death of threads about future Laptops. This paradigm has its befits and cons.

Better graphics, great.

Better expansion, great.

Gives you a blow job and a beer? Now that's innovation.

Can we move past Macbook threads?
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

I guess I am just a shy quiet amishman busy milking the cows instead of posting on forums.

tj
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amishman View Post

I guess I am just a shy quiet amishman busy milking the cows instead of posting on forums.

tj

And making and raising my 15 children.

tj
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Buy one already. I'm sick to death of threads about future Laptops.

Nobody is forcing to read this... much less reply. Same thing goes for the MBP tread.

Some people actually enjoy brainstorming about future hardware revs.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The PowerBook 12" is still the most portable Mac that runs the current Mac OS X in useable shape. It weighs 2.1 kg, and it's relatively small. But to throw a 2+ kg device in your bag you gotta be pretty motivated. At 1 kg it would sure slip down into my bag much more often. But at 0,5 kg we'd be totally rocking!

And that's why I think Apple will try to drive a fullblown "iPhone" OSX into a completely new device. They will be trying to forego the subnotebook and tablet step in the evolution and try to hit the next step in the evolution. That might be why it's the subnotebook has been missing out... because Apple is trying a little too hard and is unwilling to compromize.

Btw... does someone here at Apple "insider" actually know anything about this so called MacBook Thin?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The PowerBook 12" is still the most portable Mac that runs the current Mac OS X in useable shape. It weighs 2.1 kg, and it's relatively small. But to throw a 2+ kg device in your bag you gotta be pretty motivated. At 1 kg it would sure slip down into my bag much more often. But at 0,5 kg we'd be totally rocking!

Exactly! The current standard in ultraportables is 800g. Apple need to offer something under 1kg.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

And that's why I think Apple will try to drive a fullblown "iPhone" OSX into a completely new device. They will be trying to forego the subnotebook and tablet step in the evolution and try to hit the next step in the evolution. That might be why it's the subnotebook has been missing out... because Apple is trying a little too hard and is unwilling to compromize.

Someday (not in 2008) a future iPhone will be powerful enough to connect a keyboard and LCD monitor and have a normal desktop computer experience.