Converting DVD to Apple TV - Please read

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Good morning Angels,

You may see links occasionally posted for a piece of software called "MP4 Converter" This software is garbage. The posts are spam. The folks posting are are bottom dwelling, soul sucking nincompoops.

If you see this software posted - or any other links to "FREE!!!1!" software: Please report the link. Please do not click the link. Do not quote the post to reply. Do not buy the software. Do not taunt Super Happy Fun Ball.

You can do everything that this software does with free tools available online, from a variety of sources. You don't need these dorks and their slapdash (usually Windows only) crapware.

Spam sucks. Report it, don't support it.

-Graham

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Perhaps we ought to include information about how to do it, so there's no excuse for spam and the people who really do want to get the information can get it.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Too bad anya above can't read nor write too well.

These people are so lame it is amazing.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    On the other hand, the free, open-source "Handbreak" is excellent for converting DVD to a variety of formats -- such as formats that can be used in iTunes, on Apple TVs, or on iPods.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    What do the moderators do with the spam reports. I send a lot in but no one ever seems to take actions on the thread. Am I shouting into a vacuum?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

What do the moderators do with the spam reports. I send a lot in but no one ever seems to take actions on the thread. Am I shouting into a vacuum?

No, but sometimes we do take vacations. However, I haven't had any reports from you. I only watch two forums here but believe me, I take great joy in banning and deleting spam posts.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    I only have an ipod touch .
  • Reply 8 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Handbrake, handbrake, handbrake. For the previous step, "ripping",etc. just go to doom9 dot org if you are hardcore into that kind of stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    VisualHub VisualHub VisualHub
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Handbrake, handbrake, handbrake. For the previous step, "ripping",etc. just go to doom9 dot org if you are hardcore into that kind of stuff.

Seconded. Get yourself a big fat external hard drive, and if you're an average user, the "AppleTV" setting in Handbrake will suit you fantastically. Off the top of my head it's:

- Original video size, anamorphic

- 2500kbps

- Stereo & AC3 passthru

Great quality files, for free!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anya14 View Post

truly my life is not worth living

That's why you are already banned.. Tsk Tsk..
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

No, but sometimes we do take vacations. However, I haven't had any reports from you. I only watch two forums here but believe me, I take great joy in banning and deleting spam posts.

That's wonderful, GrahamW! Modding for great justice!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Spam in its purest form! Nice work, to the mod who banned all those people! Is that GrahamW?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I am trying to convert my huge library of movies into a format that can play using AppleTV (my new gift). I had read that Handbrtake is excellent. When I tried using it, I realized it will not work on the movies I have as they are copyright protected. is there any way for me to transfer the movies I have to Apple TV?

I wonder if Handbrake does not work with store bought DVDs, what other DVDs does handbrake convert?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bazokajoe_2k View Post

Seconded. Get yourself a big fat external hard drive, and if you're an average user, the "AppleTV" setting in Handbrake will suit you fantastically. Off the top of my head it's:

- Original video size, anamorphic

- 2500kbps

- Stereo & AC3 passthru

Great quality files, for free!

• Reply 15 of 25
    On Mac, HandBrake requires VLC to deal with DVD copy protection. Free, just works. You can download it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
  • Reply 16 of 25
    On Mac, HandBrake requires VLC to deal with DVD copy protection. Free, just works. You can download it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anya14 View Post

truly my life is not worth living

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Too bad anya above can't read nor write too well.

These people are so lame it is amazing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Thanks for posting this thread/sticky, it proved helpful.

Also why do people wast time doing these types of useless forum writing? serves them write for being banned or privileges revoked
  • Reply 18 of 25
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Handbrake has a build-in Ipod and AppleTV template. For ripping BR and DVD i am using MakeMKV. I did my entire 400+ DvD and BR collection and store it on a 3 TB network disk server (D-link enclosure).

My settings for DVD is the AppleTV template which output 960x540 resolution in a .m4v container.

My settings for HD 720p (blue-ray rips) is a modified AppleTV template (saved it on another name) with 1280x720 resolution (video section), variable birate at 2000bps, 2 pass encoding, turbo first pass. The new AppleTV coming in 2011 will be able to read those.

You dont need to copy your files on your AppleTV HD since it can stream anything you put in Itunes. So just drag your movies in Itunes.

You can also easily obtain the movie metadata with programs like Identify for mac that will seek the movie informations and artworks based on the filename. Works with Tvshows too.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I am slowly moving my DVD's over to my 1 TB HD. I don't yet own an Apple TV but will soon. I also need to have the movies play properly on iPhones and iPods fo rmy kids.

Couple of questions:
    • I have been using the "Universal" setting to do my rips - should I go to the Apple TV setting?

• If I go to ATV setting, will that preclude playing on the iPods and iPhones?

• sometimes I get jerky or "un-smooth" motion in the playback through iTunes after a rip - what is that the result of - the bitrate?

• has the 64-bit version of HB been fixed? I can't get it to work. Ever.

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gawalla View Post

I am slowly moving my DVD's over to my 1 TB HD. I don't yet own an Apple TV but will soon. I also need to have the movies play properly on iPhones and iPods fo rmy kids.

Couple of questions:
    • I have been using the "Universal" setting to do my rips - should I go to the Apple TV setting?

• If I go to ATV setting, will that preclude playing on the iPods and iPhones?

• sometimes I get jerky or "un-smooth" motion in the playback through iTunes after a rip - what is that the result of - the bitrate?

• has the 64-bit version of HB been fixed? I can't get it to work. Ever.

Thanks in advance!

If your doing DvD's the best thing is to convert to .m4v files using AppleTV settings. Since DvD resolution is lower than AppleTV, you wont degrade quality. On the other hand I would still do 720p or 1080p bluray conversion since the new appleTV will support 1080p

The big plus with .m4v files is it can hold movie information and images (metadata). You can use programs like Identify for Mac to automaticly lookup the information.