Ideas for a future Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
HI

I was thinking about the MBP and how can it be improved \ .

I had a few ideas,

1. A HDMI output

2. Media buttons (Play/Pause, Stop etc... near the screen or at the front)

3. Bluray or HD DVD

4. One or two more USBs on the 15"

5. Maybe a 13/14" would be nice for a portable choice

Any other ideas please post here. Who knows maybe some Apple researcher or even Mr. Jobs might read this. So get posting......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spikester_05 View Post

HI

I was thinking about the MBP and how can it be improved \ .

I had a few ideas,

1. A HDMI output

2. Media buttons (Play/Pause, Stop etc... near the screen or at the front)

3. Bluray or HD DVD

4. One or two more USBs on the 15"

5. Maybe a 13/14" would be nice for a portable choice

Any other ideas please post here. Who knows maybe some Apple researcher or even Mr. Jobs might read this. So get posting......

1. Solid State Storage option

2. Removable Optical Drive (can be replaced with another SSD or various peripherals)

3. DisplayPort

4. OLED screen

5. Dock and Dock Port

6. External 3.5" screen that can be run without the OS booted. It stores info of your desire in NVRAM. Great for checking contacts or Calendar data without having to fire of the computer.

7. Built in handle (a la the first iBook but just more svelte)

8. Quad Core Proc that can run at dual core for battery consumption at the click of a button.

9. Built in GPS

10. Built in Lojack type of service where you register for a fee (or automatically included with .mac) where your laptop's location is always known.

11. Remote wipe. Laptop stolen..simply locate the unit, next bootup your flagged documents are transferred to web storage and the computer data is wiped (optional of course)
  • Reply 2 of 21
    This is my list for the MBPro

(1) Bigger/Faster HDs.

(2) Removable bays for HD and optical drive.

(3) Don't cripple the Pro w/ 128MB graphics card.

(4) MXM based graphics cards.

(5) Non soldered, but socket based CPUs.

(6) At least 3 USB ports on the 15".

(7) Use magnets to secure screen.

(8) Come'on a white PSU?!?!

Does the MBP still have issues with its analog audio out (high freq noise) and getting stuck when changing from audio out to internal speakers?

That's it for now.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

1. Solid State Storage option

2. Removable Optical Drive (can be replaced with another SSD or various peripherals)

3. DisplayPort

4. OLED screen

5. Dock and Dock Port

6. External 3.5" screen that can be run without the OS booted. It stores info of your desire in NVRAM. Great for checking contacts or Calendar data without having to fire of the computer.

7. Built in handle (a la the first iBook but just more svelte)

8. Quad Core Proc that can run at dual core for battery consumption at the click of a button.

9. Built in GPS

10. Built in Lojack type of service where you register for a fee (or automatically included with .mac) where your laptop's location is always known.

11. Remote wipe. Laptop stolen..simply locate the unit, next bootup your flagged documents are transferred to web storage and the computer data is wiped (optional of course)

This sounds like one of those 12 pound contraptions you see in Best Buy!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Can we get off the Macbook Pro kick?

We've got aging solutions for the Enterprise and everyone is running around hoping to buy another goddamn laptop!

Innovation in technology would being able to have a smaller scale Xserve for home usage where you pre-existing Macbook Pro could utilize and fit into the budget of more consumers.

We have no Displays that handle Resolution Independence and their goddamn pricing doesn't help.

We've got many areas that Apple should be developing new products within. A Macbook Pro with HDMI isn't high on my list.

Mobile PCI Express is created by nVidia. Apple has it in the iMac 24 but the vBios makes it incompatible with mainstream MXM cards.

Perhaps nVidia will see a market and work with Apple or perhaps not.

That's not something I'm just going to lose sleep over.

OLED Displays aren't here, but Kodak, Samsung and others are very close to hitting the market for consumers.

That and Apple not having courted relationships with much in traditional fields of Engineering Sciences and their massive products are long overdue.

Reality is: Market share is stagnant in heavy industry.

It needs to be addressed and with Leopard it's ready to be addressed. What's lacking is the software from 3rd party vendors and add-on hardware cards to ``just work.'' Affordable data acquisition add-on cards, and more would help.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    PCI-e !! !!! !!!!!

.........!!!!!!!!!!!..............

I'd really like to see a textbook-thick 19" laptop, with truly robust workstation specs.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    first I am dissapointed with the last upgrade for MBP ,,,, i believe Apple were able to bring better hardware such as intel extreme chip. they do not even put it as an option and i don't why?? I am upset because i need a notbook very soon; and so i will buy it with this limited upgrade; I do not know how 0.2 is worth in notebook update comparing to 2.4Ghz avilable now????

Future MBP may have;

1)better graphic card maybe nvidia 8700 or ATI latest graphic card.

2)Intel pnyre chip; they may go to the fastest chip available

3)More USB ports

4)SSD slot

5)slimmer and thinner
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WolF_00 View Post

first I am dissapointed with the last upgrade for MBP ,,,, i believe Apple were able to bring better hardware such as intel extreme chip. they do not even put it as an option and i don't why?? I am upset because i need a notbook very soon; and so i will buy it with this limited upgrade; I do not know how 0.2 is worth in notebook update comparing to 2.4Ghz avilable now????

Future MBP may have;

1)better graphic card maybe nvidia 8700 or ATI latest graphic card.

2)Intel pnyre chip; they may go to the fastest chip available

3)More USB ports

4)SSD slot

5)slimmer and thinner

Interesting detail: Macrumors is still advising buyers to hold off buying the MBP. Their buyers' guide has updated the MB advice to 'buy now' because of the Santa Rosa upgrade, but left the MBP as was - end of product cycle.

I'm so desperate for a new machine I was gonna buy one with Leopard, but if something new is just around the corner I'm gonna hold off another month or two.

I'm STILL wondering what happened to that bulk shipment of 13" lcd screens reportedly ordered by Apple a few months ago.

Fantasy upgrades:-

*13"

*better graphics card

*Penryn (i know - no time soon)

*rugged, either rubberised or carbon fibre shell

*backlit transluscent keyboard (like the old Ti-books but with lights)

*extended battery life

*free Final Cut Pro software

:-)
  • Reply 8 of 21
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

I'm so desperate for a new machine I was gonna buy one with Leopard, but if something new is just around the corner I'm gonna hold off another month or two.)

Rogue, my thought: Wait for Penryn MBPs. With Penryn shipping this month, and Apple buying up the early lots, seems reasonable that Penryn MBPs will be announced at MWSF, maybe even shipping in Jan.

Mdriftmeyer, fwiw, laptops are a huge asset to the business segment. Most biz folks are still on Windows, but I see more an more MBPs at client mtgs these days. I'm a web developer myself, and work almost exclusively on my MBP now. It's fast enough for pretty much everything I do, with the bonus of being able to take my main dev machine anywhere instantly. Vis, I'm working part-time while remote on vacation this month.

imo, The real question behind your post: Is Apple's core target market consumers or industrial applications. With the success and marketing behind iPod & iPhone, it seems ever more the former, yes?

Apple's magic is in creating simple, intuitive interfaces to computing, eg: iPod, iPhone, OS X (for the most part). And that gift tends to be more applicable to consumer mentalities than industrial.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Rogue, my thought: Wait for Penryn MBPs. With Penryn shipping this month, and Apple buying up the early lots, seems reasonable that Penryn MBPs will be announced at MWSF, maybe even shipping in Jan.

Mdriftmeyer, fwiw, laptops are a huge asset to the business segment. Most biz folks are still on Windows, but I see more an more MBPs at client mtgs these days. I'm a web developer myself, and work almost exclusively on my MBP now. It's fast enough for pretty much everything I do, with the bonus of being able to take my main dev machine anywhere instantly. Vis, I'm working part-time while remote on vacation this month.

imo, The real question behind your post: Is Apple's core target market consumers or industrial applications. With the success and marketing behind iPod & iPhone, it seems ever more the former, yes?

Apple's magic is in creating simple, intuitive interfaces to computing, eg: iPod, iPhone, OS X (for the most part). And that gift tends to be more applicable to consumer mentalities than industrial.

Penryn WORKSTATION chips are shipping this month, not laptop chips. I dont even think the have announced any date regarding the laptop (mobile) chips. The new MBP will be announced at a special event just for Macs sometime after MWSF.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Penryn WORKSTATION chips are shipping this month, not laptop chips. I dont even think the (sic) have announced any date regarding the laptop (mobile) chips. The new MBP will be announced at a special event just for Macs sometime after MWSF.

The ship date for mobile Penryns is January. I would not be surprised to see the announcement of updated MacBooks Pro at MWSF, even if they don't ship for a few weeks.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

I've worked at both NeXT and Apple.

I'm well versed in what they do.

You can't expect this company to have sustainable growth without targeting heavy industry, the enterprise and I don't mean (sales folks with laptops or software consultants on-site with laptops) both of which are the minority. You have call centers that deploy tens of thousands of boxes.

You have server centers that aren't be addressed by these intuitive interfaces for administration and system ROI.

You have the medical sciences for say the Genome project and whatnot, but you don't have a "rugged" MacBook Pro in the field for the Military, yet perhaps they could satisfy both the Fed and Consumers by offering this high margin product that would give the Panasonic laptops a run for their money.

There are signs of the movie industry and more for Apple to work in but there is growing dissension by those industries (Apple's traditional markets) for their perceived loss of creative control.

Business Kiosk systems are another example of "Intuitive Interfaces" Apple doesn't even work within. Point of Sales comes to mind.

Touch Screen Systems for Fastfood?

Apple has lots of markets they can address and we all know that.

However, the Engineering fields could be turned on it's head if Apple bought AutoDesk. Adobe and Microsoft have resources invested in their products working seemlessly with Autodesk tools.

Buy AutoDesk and suddenly the Auto Industry, Aerospace, Freight and more want to find out what is going to happen to their core businesses.

Apple could exert a change in those industries like it has done with the iPod and is doing with the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't understand why Apple makes docks for its cheapo mp3 players, yet assumes that people spending $2500. on a business laptop won't want one.

With Time Machine, there is now the opportunity to do something special for MBP users, integrating connectivity, security, battery recharging and an automated backup strategy.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I don't understand why Apple makes docks for its cheapo mp3 players, yet assumes that people spending $2500. on a business laptop won't want one.

Have a look at all the ports on a MacBook. Think about how to fit them all on an iPod.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Have a look at all the ports on a MacBook. Think about how to fit them all on an iPod.

Think about how annoying it is to hook up many of those ports two-three times a day.

This is my MBP daily routine:

7am Check email then remove: DVI, power, audio, USB and FW connection. Pack and go to office.

8am Attach DVI, power, audio, USB, FW and ethernet connection

5pm Detach DVI, power, audio, USB, FW and ethernet connection

7pm Attach DVI, power, audio, USB, FW connection

Compare to my old Dell:

Hit a button and slide out of docking station and go.

Slide notebook into docking station and hit a button.

Boom. Which notebook is more likely to have a broken connector of some kind in a year?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Exactly. The ability to dock portables is a huge problem/omission on the Mac. It's one (and probably the only) area where HP and Dell are beating us hands down.

With Time Machine, Apple has the opportunity to do something revolutionary with Pro portable docking.

And it would add a key differentiator between the Pro and Consumer lines as well.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You have the medical sciences for say the Genome project and whatnot, but you don't have a "rugged" MacBook Pro in the field for the Military, yet perhaps they could satisfy both the Fed and Consumers by offering this high margin product that would give the Panasonic laptops a run for their money.

There are companies that do this. There is a ruggedized mini. It shouldn't be hard for someone to ruggedize a MB or MBP. Yes, it would be nice if Apple made ToughBook competitors but man that's pretty far from the Apple image that I'm guessing they prefer a 3rd party do it instead.

In any case, I don't know of any OSX only software that would be compelling for folks to buy a ruggedized Mac over a Toughbook. There was like one Ti PowerBook in Iraq. For Unix the ToughBook runs linux and probably Solaris X86.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Cheaper MBP? NO?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    As my American friends say, that just ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    i would like it to be cooler on your lap. slightly thinner and have a dock like contraption that is like a hub but combines all the outputs so i can still have it on a stand but just plug one cable in to get it all working...

solid state hard drive would be awesome as well.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Those sound sweet , but unfortunately don't think they'll happen for awhile