Please Don't Bite My Head Off......But

ssssss
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been told by a couple of people to just download Leopard off torrents instead of splashing £60-90 for it.......

Your thoughts on this? Disadvantages etc, bar being a cheap skate.

Always willing to pay for Apple stuff myself, but when you have a few mates doin it you look the mug when you all end up with the same thing and your £80 out of pocket.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    It's all down to your morals really.

I personally wouldn't as leopard is cheap enough for what you get. Also an OS is a major thing and you don't know if that torrent might have problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

I've been told by a couple of people to just download Leopard off torrents instead of splashing £60-90 for it.......

Always willing to pay for Apple stuff myself, but when you have a few mates doin it you look the mug when you all end up with the same thing and your £80 out of pocket.....

• Reply 2 of 93
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Kids...

Never such thoughts came in my mind when I had your age. And not now either. What a mug.

You and your friends can have much fun with me.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

It's a 6.5GB+ download, which would take an average connection 2-3 days to download if not more and once you get it, it won't fit on a single layer DVD so you have to get a DL disc which tend to burn slowly and also make sure your burner supports it or image it to a hard drive (but without burning it, you have no backup if something goes wrong with your computer). Either that or modify the disc image to get rid of stuff so it will fit but also ensure that it's still bootable.

Plus you won't always know if the image is official or if there are differences in the posted version.

Trouble is if you actually buy Leopard, you'd want to have a backup anyway so you'd probably have to go through the burning problems. I'd buy it simply because it's the ethical thing to do and you're not just using it once. This OS will last over a year and you will be using it constantly. So where you would pay £10 for a DVD movie that you will watch maybe 3 times (5 hours use), you pay £80 for an OS you will use every day for a year or more (maybe 1000 hours use). It's not as if it's a bad deal.

You are no more of a mug for not downloading Leopard than not downloading any other piece of software including games, movies, music etc. When does it become right to not pay for anything and reward the people who put in the effort to make a good product? I would say that you shouldn't reward people who make bad products. I mean we had 4 Scary Movie films for goodness sake - that was just plain wrong and they shouldn't have been rewarded enough after the first one to make 3 more.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I live in a country where Leopard is more expensive than in the US but represents about half the monthly income for most of the people. Well, that is the reason most people don't buy Macs in the first place. And yes, most of them don't pay for any software. The problem is very complicated and begins with audio/video industry: when they can not make billions here the easiest thing for them is to declare all young people 'pirates' and if there is no reexport or something that disturbs the 'real markets' leave them do whatever they want. Unfortunately, this created a culture where you really may look the mug for buying stuff...

Almost everything I have on my computers is legal (I sometimes have one legal copy on more than 1 computer though). When some of my friends ask me why I pay for software I say: because I can afford it, I don't need to steal to have it. But there are a lot of people I know who have illegal Photoshop/Photoshop elements or whatever they found just to crop their images or do a Preview.app kind of editing. Well, they could look for less expensive software up to the task but it means swimming against the tide in this country and not everybody has the courage to do this. Ah, and Linux is very popular among the IT related young people, but not for the Average Joe.

For my country, I think you should always pay for the software if you are using it for a business. However, the young people who are using computers to learn should not use yesterday's junk just because their parents can not afford to bye legal software instead of paying bills. I believe it is in everybody's interest (including Apple, Adobe, Microsoft etc.) if they know more operating systems and play with the software which de-facto standard of the day or the bleeding edge of the technology.

It seems you are in Britain. If purchasing Leopard is not a big financial shock for your family budget (and it seems it is not) go ahead and order it! This will help Apple to innovate and, indirectly, will compensate for those who have the right to use today's technology but can not afford the luxe to use it without stealing.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    I could easily download a copy if I wanted to - but I tend to take the moral high ground for three reasons.

Firstly, I like to have the official box - its like people who say, "why not get it out of the library" when it comes to books. I like to own the copy - not borrow some other buggers.

The second is its stealing - no excuses justify it. Yes, they're a multi-billion dollar organisation but at the same time, thats no excuse.

Thirdly, one doesn't know what people have done to these images - I don't trust people these days; dick heads who tweak around with things and claim its 'untouched'.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Do what you like, but if you install off a torrent and you have problems/bugs, you won't know if it was a bad download or not. If you think your time is worth undoing the damage of a bad install to save that amount of money go ahead, but I remember reading problems with torrent installs.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    Spend the cash or just install Linux.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    "Do as you would be done by"

If you steal then you can't complain if people steal from you.

Would you walk into the Apple Store and steal it off the shelf?

Downloading it illegally is just the same, it is theft.

Ian
  • Reply 9 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

"Do as you would be done by"

If you steal then you can't complain if people steal from you.

Would you walk into the Apple Store and steal it off the shelf?

Downloading it illegally is just the same, it is theft.

Ian

not really. downloading is transferring information or data. Stealing a boxed dvd from a shop is a criminal offence. Certainly different, both legally and ethically. Also its not really the same as someone stealing from you because your version of stealing implies stealing a personal effect, which can hardly be compared to stealing an operating system from a corporation.

Also its really not that difficult to do, and you don't have to burn a DL dvd.

Having said that, I can say that I got my copy off the internet and it works perfectly. It didn't take 3 days to download either (more like an hour and a half), and I didn't have to burn a DL dvd (nor edit down the data to fit it on a SL dvd). However if you want advice on doing I won't be the person to give it. If you want to pirate software thats your lookout, and you can easily obtain information for how to go about it with a google search or two.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

not really. downloading is transferring information or data. Stealing a boxed dvd from a shop is a criminal offence. Certainly different, both legally and ethically.

And you think that downloading it is not a criminal offense? I agree with you that the impact of stealing objects from someone is different than data - but it's still stealing and you can't say it has no impact at all. I'm not being biased on this either, I've done my fair share of illegal downloading but I respect Apple enough to buy their products.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

And you think that downloading it is not a criminal offense? I agree with you that the impact of stealing objects from someone is different than data - but it's still stealing and you can't say it has no impact at all. I'm not being biased on this either, I've done my fair share of illegal downloading but I respect Apple enough to buy their products.

actually downloading isn't a criminal offence. it's illegal, but not criminal.. Well speaking for where I live anyway..
  • Reply 12 of 93
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

not really. downloading is transferring information or data. Stealing a boxed dvd from a shop is a criminal offence. Certainly different, both legally and ethically. Also its not really the same as someone stealing from you because your version of stealing implies stealing a personal effect, which can hardly be compared to stealing an operating system from a corporation.

Also its really not that difficult to do, and you don't have to burn a DL dvd.

Having said that, I can say that I got my copy off the internet and it works perfectly. It didn't take 3 days to download either (more like an hour and a half), and I didn't have to burn a DL dvd (nor edit down the data to fit it on a SL dvd). However if you want advice on doing I won't be the person to give it. If you want to pirate software thats your lookout, and you can easily obtain information for how to go about it with a google search or two.

Then you have no morals.

Legally and ethically they are both the same.

You are a common thief.

It makes not difference if it is from a person or a corporation, it is still theft.

The world is in the state it is in at the moment due to people like you who have no respect for others. You justify stealing by trying to make out that corporations don't matter, when in effect you are stealing from individuals. People who buy the software and share holders are being affected by your stealing. Don't hide behind a corporation, and try to cover up your criminal activity.

I really hope that someone sees you as being better of then them and therefore justified to steal from you, just as you are making out a corporation are better of than you and it won't matter.

Hopefully someone will steal something from you. Why should I care you mean nothing to me!
  • Reply 13 of 93
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I love how someone comes onto the internet asking people they don't know if it is okay to steal something.

Go ahead. Steal it. Yeah. That should make you feel all better now.

As for me, I have found Leopard to be simply the best version of OSX ever. Worth every dime.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OK - I'm not going to delete anything, but Archstudent is on my list. Any threads he starts in Genius Bar or elsewhere, asking for any help with OS X, will be unceremoniously deleted and appropriate action taken.

Of course, in addition, any discussion of how to download pirated copies of software is against the posting guidelines and will affect posting privileges.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    Despite Apple being really stupid about how they handled Java 6 on Leopard, I believe they deserve my money for the fantastic work they did with their latest OS.

I just went out and bought a copy last night. The only part of it I haven't tried is Time Machine, which is scheduled to start running in 8 minutes.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Despite Apple being really stupid about how they handled Java 6 on Leopard, I believe they deserve my money for the fantastic work they did with their latest OS.

It is easy to blame Apple for this but it is not that simple as it may look. Politics aside, Apple had hard time shipping the OS in time. No surprise third party technology was not the #1 in their priority list. There will be Java 6 on OS X in I a couple of months I hope.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

OK - I'm not going to delete anything, but Archstudent is on my list. Any threads he starts in Genius Bar or elsewhere, asking for any help with OS X, will be unceremoniously deleted and appropriate action taken.

Of course, in addition, any discussion of how to download pirated copies of software is against the posting guidelines and will affect posting privileges.

I'll just apologise for causing any offence. I do not condone piracy and have not personally ever been involved in piracy myself. Again, just really to retract my previous comment and apologise for inappropriate comment in the forum.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

I'll just apologise for causing any offence. I do not condone piracy and have not personally ever been involved in piracy myself. Again, just really to retract my previous comment and apologise for inappropriate comment in the forum.

So....you were just joking about getting it from the internet and it not taking 3 days and....

It will take awhile before i pay any attention to your comments.
  • Reply 19 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

So....you were just joking about getting it from the internet and it not taking 3 days and....

It will take awhile before i pay any attention to your comments.

piracy is distributing software, not downloading it. I can download whatever the hell I like. Anyway I don't really care what you think - what a stupid non comment.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

actually downloading isn't a criminal offence. it's illegal, but not criminal.. Well speaking for where I live anyway..

I'm quite amazed and surprised at your view of intellectual property. Especially if you truly are an architecture student as your name implies.