Airport Extreme -- trying to get a NAS drive on the network...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a new Apple Extreme 802.11n Airport station and it works fine. I just bought a Micronet G-Force external NAS drive:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...ched%20Storage

The instructions for the drive says to plug the ethernet connection to the network and type an IP into my browser to administrate it. This does not work. I called Micronet and they couldn't help me since I was using an Airport. I called Applecare and they said it was possible, but they couldn't help me. They only support USB drives being shared on the Airport netork.

I am considering purchasing a Lynxsis router (not wireless) and have my connection go from the Cable Modem to this router and then put a connection from that to the Airport and also to the NAS drive. I would assign static IPs to each and the Airport would dynamically assign IP to the computers.

Does anyone know if this will work???

-Wayne

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I'm interested in doing the same, but have yet to buy the NAS drive. Do you have a lock on the wired ports too on the AEBS?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I have been designing on computers for years, but always had techs to do the network for me. I am now working on my own and need to do it myself. It is a bit of a learning curve.

-Wayne
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    If NAS doesn't work directly into airport that's pretty disappointing.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

If NAS doesn't work directly into airport that's pretty disappointing.

What is even worse. The Apple tech mentioned that a printer on ethernet won't work either. Only USB. He thought there may be a way around it with software, but didn't know how.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wgoodman View Post

I have a new Apple Extreme 802.11n Airport station and it works fine. I just bought a Micronet G-Force external NAS drive:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...ched%20Storage

The instructions for the drive says to plug the ethernet connection to the network and type an IP into my browser to administrate it. This does not work. I called Micronet and they couldn't help me since I was using an Airport. I called Applecare and they said it was possible, but they couldn't help me. They only support USB drives being shared on the Airport netork.

I am considering purchasing a Lynxsis router (not wireless) and have my connection go from the Cable Modem to this router and then put a connection from that to the Airport and also to the NAS drive. I would assign static IPs to each and the Airport would dynamically assign IP to the computers.

Does anyone know if this will work???

-Wayne

Mmm...I wouldn't get the Linksys just yet. The problem is likely that you can't see the NAS from wireless before you configure it. Try plugging both computer and NAS into the wired ports on the Airport. You may need to set the subnet on the router and computer to match that of the NAS to start with...sometimes a bogus internal IP range like 10.x.x.x.

Once you get into the NAS you can set up a static IP as needed.

If the printer doesn't work then Airport is simply broken. It shouldn't care about the actual traffic going across it. The primary gotchas are subnet, NAT and any firewalling it might be doing. This should all be configuable inside the WAN so any ethernet device works.

90% probability that the tech is clueless. Of course that applied to me as well.

Looks like a nice little NAS....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Mmm...I wouldn't get the Linksys just yet. The problem is likely that you can't see the NAS from wireless before you configure it. Try plugging both computer and NAS into the wired ports on the Airport. You may need to set the subnet on the router and computer to match that of the NAS to start with...sometimes a bogus internal IP range like 10.x.x.x.

Once you get into the NAS you can set up a static IP as needed.

If the printer doesn't work then Airport is simply broken. It shouldn't care about the actual traffic going across it. The primary gotchas are subnet, NAT and any firewalling it might be doing. This should all be configuable inside the WAN so any ethernet device works.

90% probability that the tech is clueless. Of course that applied to me as well.

Looks like a nice little NAS....

Thanks so much for your response. I so have a older Mac on my network that is on Jaguar and the Apple tech had me use WEP for it to work. Can I keep the WEP network and still work with static IPs?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Thanks so much for your response. I so have a older Mac on my network that is on Jaguar and the Apple tech had me use WEP for it to work. Can I keep the WEP network and still work with static IPs?

Er...did you get your NAS set up?

As far as WEP goes...when I set up wireless I first do so with no encryption just to make sure I have basic connectivity. Then I start adding stuff.

Unfortunately some of my older equipment will only do WEP...which is better than nothing but not by a whole lot. Yes, you can do static IPs.

If you happen to have an older G router I would recommend putting the Airport Extreme in 5Ghz N mode and using the older G router for legacy gear. The Airport Extreme did only so-so in Mixed Mode in the recent Ars "testing".

If not then just use it as is. Its probably not worth the effort to get a new G router.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    The printer showed up fine on my network. I took the NAS drive to a tech I know and he used a ethernet cable which wires are switched so he could connect right to the NAS drive. He then could set the IP of the NAS drive to be in the range of the MAC network. I left the drive at that location and if it works there they will buy one and he will set it to show up on my network at home. I will let you know if it works.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Once you get into the drive by putting a cable directly to it from your mac, you can change the IP number to match the range given out by the airport. It works fine.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Once you get into the drive by putting a cable directly to it from your mac, you can change the IP number to match the range given out by the airport. It works fine.

Of course it works ...people ,, NAS isn't supposed to work right out of the box-it needs administration - talking about security here

I wanted to ask about the write /read speed ,in each raid mode ... but i guess you're not there yet ,..am i wrong ?

have fun!