Business mail on iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello all,

I was wondering whether I could receive my business mail on my iPhone.

The company I work for uses the AT&T VPN software for network access and Lotus Notes. I think I can set-up VPN access on the iPhone, but how do I set up access to Lotus Notes mailboxes?

Any chance? Thanks for your comments!

Best wishes,

iSmiley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSmiley View Post

Hello all,

I was wondering whether I could receive my business mail on my iPhone.

The company I work for uses the AT&T VPN software for network access and Lotus Notes. I think I can set-up VPN access on the iPhone, but how do I set up access to Lotus Notes mailboxes?

Any chance? Thanks for your comments!

Best wishes,

iSmiley

If you can not get the iPhone to access Notes mailboxes...Here's a solution. Not exactly elegant...

Have Lotus Notes place all your incoming business email in an iMap mailbox (like the new free GMail imap service). Then use the iPhone with the Gmail account.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

If you can not get the iPhone to access Notes mailboxes...Here's a solution. Not exactly elegant...

Have Lotus Notes place all your incoming business email in an iMap mailbox (like the new free GMail imap service). Then use the iPhone with the Gmail account.

C.

I cannot get my iPhone to access Lotus Notes from my workplace, and this is exactly what I do. It is especially convenient now that Gmail offers IMAP. But replies from the phone do carry the Gmail return address. So far, the iPhone doesn't let you configure your return address independently.

For keeping the calendars coordinated, I export the Notes calendar as a .ics file and import that into iCal. Not real time, of course, but more or less like what a PDA does.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iFerd View Post

I cannot get my iPhone to access Lotus Notes from my workplace, and this is exactly what I do. It is especially convenient now that Gmail offers IMAP. But replies from the phone do carry the Gmail return address. So far, the iPhone doesn't let you configure your return address independently.

You might not have spotted that Gmail does allow you to change the "from" info to your preferred email address, but it does leave some GMail fingerprints.

Dot Mac won't let you do this at all.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    iferdiferd Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

You might not have spotted that Gmail does allow you to change the "from" info to your preferred email address, but it does leave some GMail fingerprints.

I did notice that, and it works if you use the Gmail web interface. But it seems to have no effect when the iPhone is the source of the message.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iFerd View Post

I did notice that, and it works if you use the Gmail web interface. But it seems to have no effect when the iPhone is the source of the message.

Interesting. I only tried this with Apple Mail. In the UK we don't get the iPhone 'till Friday.

I solved the outgoing email address problem with my own private SMTP relay, so my outgoing emails get identified exactly the way I want.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Hi Carniphage,

I am in the UK, too. I brought my iPhone from the USA . . .

Would you have advice on how to route Lotus Notes mail into Gmail IMAP?

Cheers,

iSmiley
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Would you have advice on how to route Lotus Notes mail into Gmail IMAP?

I know you asked for advice from the UK, and I'm from the US, but I don't think this is specific to a particular world region.

I use mail rules to do this. I constructed two rules, one of which forwards some specific things to the Gmail account. The other forwards everything. I turn the latter on or off, depending on whether I will be close to my office. When I'm going to be away, I turn on the forward everything rule. When I am close and don't want the iPhone clutter, I turn it off.

If you are looking for specific directions on how to construct the rules, I'd be happy to see if I can describe the specifics. But if you can use mail rules (not all corporations allow them), it's pretty simple.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Lotus Notes rules - sound like a good idea, just how do you set them up? Guess my IT dept. has locked as much they can, but I would like to try this. Thanks again
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Lotus Notes rules - sound like a good idea, just how do you set them up? Guess my IT dept. has locked as much they can, but I would like to try this. Thanks again

In Lotus Notes 7, while viewing your Inbox. click on Tools. At the bottom of the list that drops down is Mail Rules. The rest is pretty much following the menus to do what you want.