Good internal hard drive brand?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking for a 320 or 500GB internal SATA hard drive for my G5 tower. Does anyone have any advice on a brand?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I swear on Seagate. 5 years warranty make me feel good about it.

-t
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Definitely Seagate.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    steste Posts: 119member
    Yep, sound advice there!

Quote:

Apple is taking some flak this week for failing to acknowledge and address two separate data loss issues -- one present in Leopard's Finder and another having to do with faulty Seagate hard drives used in the company's MacBook line of notebook computers.

• Reply 4 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Seagate.

All manufacturers have faulty batches, granted.

But even when im pricing up the absolute cheapest system, the one thing that always gets in is the slightly more expensive range of Seagate barracuda's, no exception.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yeah. Seagate definitely. Hitachis have been okay recently, actually.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Annndddd to top it off.....

Seagate. :P
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I am looking for a 320 or 500GB internal SATA hard drive for my G5 tower. Does anyone have any advice on a brand?

IF you're using the drive for back-ups, I'd recommend an external hard drive though. All it takes is the power supply to short and your hard drives are fried.

For external, I'd suggest G-Tech. They make great hard drives. The G-SAFE Q has eSATA, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, and Firewire 800. Plus, it has no fan so it is VERY quiet.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Glad to see all the Seagate fans here, but stay ahead of the curve and get their SATA Barracuda 7200.10 with Perpendicular Recording! Absolutely incredible drive, and between the two get the 500 Gig. We got a 320 a few months ago and now we wished we'd gotten the bigger brother of the two. Either way though you can't go wrong with Seagate
  • Reply 9 of 9
    My 2 cents worth with about 29 different size and brands within arms reach. Right now it's WD Enterprise model with 5 yrs warr. that is my choice. Just had a Seagate with a 5 yr warr get constapated and they want $20 to ship a new one while I hold onto the old one to hopefull transfer some items out.