Can I share itunes folder with all users?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have my GF and I on my mac and I dont want to copy all my music folders to her account because I dont want to eat up any more hard drive space then I have to.

Is there a way to share the itunes folder or any folder for that matter on the mac without putting it on the network? thanks for all the info in advanced

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Yes.

If all you have is the internal HD move your music folder (or any other folder you want to share) to the shared users folder, set permissions so that both you and your GF can read and write to the folder. The first time you and your GF open iTunes hold down the Option key while starting iTunes. You will get a dialog box asking if you want to create a new iTunes library or change libraries. Change iTunes to use the music folder in the shared users folder.

The problem is that only one of you can access the ITunes library at a time and it is a shared library. with shares playlists and playcounts. Maybe someone has a method where you each have your own playlists but share the actual music files themselves.

Another option is to use an external HD for your library. The advantage with the external drive is that your drive can grow with your library. And you can ignore permissions on external drives.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I'd say 'no.' On my network, I have a large music collection, four Macs, and AirPort Express. I haven't had any luck w/a user friendly shared iTunes folder. Instead, I just share my music from within iTunes itself. The client machines don't get all the control that the main Mac does, but they have access to music. So, it works until I can make something better happen.