Who thinks OS X is way to complicated!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If you want to suft the net check, E-mail, Right a letter, or make an iMove OS X is great. But if you want to Try to fix your system, setup users with selected folder they can acsses, mess with network settings, connect to a server, anything slightly advanced OS X is not intuitive and takes time and ether far amount of computer knolage or a users manual. This kinda pisses me off! OS X has SO much potental in these areas! Right now they are just flat out to hard to do to call them selves a part of a MAc OS.

Dose anyone else feel the same way?

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>If you want to suft the net check, E-mail, Right a letter, or make an iMove OS X is great. But if you want to Try to fix your system, setup users with selected folder they can acsses, mess with network settings, connect to a server, anything slightly advanced OS X is not intuitive and takes time and ether far amount of computer knolage or a users manual. This kinda pisses me off! OS X has SO much potental in these areas! Right now they are just flat out to hard to do to call them selves a part of a MAc OS.

Dose anyone else feel the same way?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Michael,

The old way of doing all that stuff was a joke and a cheap hack. Very easy to circumvent. It was not much better than Win98's multiple users, if you think about it. Now, we've got a TON more power and control, if you an administrator. Yes, it's more complicated (a little), but if you get used to the way things are done, it's much less complicated. Find yourself some good resources on NetInfo (www.stepwise.com) and you'll be on your way. I think that it's going to be a better user experience for many more people. Yes, it'll make a few people's jobs harder, but overall the structure it imposes on users is a good thing.

My family is a case in point. 5 different people using the computer, all of them scattering stuff throughout the HD while they were in 9.2. Now, in 10.1, they are much more organized and can actually FIND things.
  • Reply 2 of 63

<strong>If you want to suft the net check, E-mail, Right a letter, or make an iMove OS X is great. But if you want to Try to fix your system, setup users with selected folder they can acsses, mess with network settings, connect to a server, anything slightly advanced OS X is not intuitive and takes time and ether far amount of computer knolage or a users manual. This kinda pisses me off! OS X has SO much potental in these areas! Right now they are just flat out to hard to do to call them selves a part of a MAc OS.

Dose anyone else feel the same way?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know Mm, i think it's learning curve. . Am a relative newcomer to Mac OS ('95 with a Performa 6300) and can't spell Unux but I like X and have seldom consulted Mac OS Help. Am not a Power User. Call me a 3 on a scale of X. I liked popup folder menus in 9 but I'd always convert to a window view and forget convert back before i closed the window. And window shades, man I don't know why people want those in X. Have gone for a couple apps that help my transition: SNAX, another Finder app, and Super Get Info. Check 'em out

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: yablaka ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 63
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think it'll take time, but eventually it'll be fine and we'll find things easy like we did in OS 9.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Of course, X could have taken the XP route and simply offer no control of the OS to the user what so ever, all in the name of "simplicity"

XP won't even let you pick your own flippin' drivers for Gods sake.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    I am not stuck on the OS 9 way at all. I am totally open to learn a new way. But the thing is a great OS needs to have a lot of power! You need to be able to tweak every last thing. But that kind of stuff should only be for people that want to do it that way. there needs to be an easy way with a little less features and a hard way with all the features.

Lets face it every home dose not have a UNIX administrator that knows how to use the NetiNfo Manager. Like I said, what if my grandma wants to have OS X on her iMac and have a user for her and my grampa? And network her iMac to my grampa iBook. Do you expect her to set stuff up inj Netinfo Manager? I defenetly do not. it should be as easy as all she would need in the way of help is maybe a 30min phone call to me for a little push. But that is it!

Do not get me wrong. I al all for the netinfo manager! It is really cool! But Most average joe's do NOT want to mess around with that to work there system.

Do not give me this that "get used to it, it is the way of the future, after a wail it will be as easy as OS 9". That is BS! and a cope out! Mac OS is known for being very intuitv in every thing it dose. Mac OS has been so easy that anyone could sit down on one with no computer knoleg and find out how to network then setup users with privileges do what ever!

I love OS X!! It is just the greatest OS ever! But it still has a L O N G way to go in the way of ease of use. For most things OS X is very easy like surfing the net etc, But when it comes to System matnence and trouble shooting OS X is a night mior (by mac standards, it can blow WinXP or want ever out of the water, but we have higher standards and know how it should be done )

And BTW, I can figure most of this stuff I am complaining about out. But I am think for OS X as a product and that other people might be frustrated. try to put your self in the shoes of a person that bought a mac for the first time because they know nothing about computers and they herd about the easy of use in a Mac. I think in some areas they would feel let down.

I have no dout though Apple knows about these areas that are hard to use and is working to make them all more intuitive.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

<strong>knolage, dose, inj, defenetly,there, wail, intuitv, knoleg, matnence </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it seems you need a How to Book for OSX and an English course to go with it.

Relax, your complaints are valid. I'm still figuring out OSX and still waiting for a how to book on it too. Problem is that Apple will keep enhancing the OS so rapidly that any how to book out there is obsolete when its already on the shelf.

Get into the OS...keep working with it. That's how you learn anything in life....
  • Reply 7 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>

Get into the OS...keep working with it. That's how you learn anything in life....</strong><hr></blockquote>

ME! ME work WITH OS X!! Hell No! OS X Needs to Work for ME!

I know how to use OS X! I am worried about lower end users. they do not whant to spend time learning, geting uesed to, and Working with OS X. they just need every thing to be oviose.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Michael,

If your grandma wants to set up a new user for 'pa, it's easy as pie. My little sisters did that without my help at all. What you were talking about, more advanced stuff, like permissions and restrictions, etc, is a little harder. But as far as most normal people needing to setup some user accounts they never need to see NetInfo.

What I was referring to was creating groups and assigning permissions and restrictions. I might have misunderstood you. Either way, OS X is the better way, just not the familiar one. You will get used to the workflow and it will get smoothed out over time. Patience, young grasshopper.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Very well put, Michael. I agree with you.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

What I was referring to was creating groups and assigning permissions and restrictions. I might have misunderstood you. Either way, OS X is the better way, just not the familiar one. You will get used to the workflow and it will get smoothed out over time. Patience, young grasshopper. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I was refering to assigning premitions and restrctions, somthign that used to be very easy in OS 9.

And I agree with you OS X kockes the socks off any other OS for a family with multi users. But that dose not mean apple needs to stop there. OS X could be much better than this, it has the potentioal!! I am sure apple knows this and they are working hard to cover all the angels of usage in OS X.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 63
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    OS X gives you premonitions?! About what?!
  • Reply 12 of 63
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    agree with Mike here.

Apple is about simplicitity, elegance and ease of use. it seems the geeks of the Mac world are drooling all over OS X yet the people who use the mac for its original benefits are being left behind with OS X.

OS X is no where near a ease of use breakthrough. there is still major areas that need work and are far more difficult than they have to be and than they were in OS 9.

I hope Apple has this as a priority because it IS their biggest selling strongpoint.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>agree with Mike here.

Apple is about simplicitity, elegance and ease of use. it seems the geeks of the Mac world are drooling all over OS X yet the people who use the mac for its original benefits are being left behind with OS X.

OS X is no where near a ease of use breakthrough. there is still major areas that need work and are far more difficult than they have to be and than they were in OS 9.

I hope Apple has this as a priority because it IS their biggest selling strongpoint.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with you, applenut. Apple needs to work on this and I have no doubt that they will get it right. And once they do, we'll have a powerful system and ease of use. They're on their way with iTunes (and the iPod). Just give them some time. I have no doubt that we'll be scratching our heads saying "why didn't someone else think of that earlier?" like we did with iTunes once they do. Have faith.

Mike,

In OS 9, the permissions and restrictions were fake. Easy to get around. Really easy, as a matter of fact. Now, they are as real as they get. We just need Apple to make a little easier. So, yes, right now X is (a little) complicated. That's half the fun of being a geek.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    I agree with the notion that OSX still has a lot of maturing to do. There is still way too many rough edges. A lot of things can be done better. Believe me, I email lots of suggestions to OSX Feedback.

I think OSX will mature like OS9s GUI by version 10.3 - 10.4 or so.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>I think OSX will mature like OS9s GUI by version 10.3 - 10.4 or so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that's a pretty good guess.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Mike, In OS 9, the permissions and restrictions were fake. Easy to get around. Really easy, as a matter of fact. Now, they are as real as they get. We just need Apple to make a little easier. So, yes, right now X is (a little) complicated. That's half the fun of being a geek. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I do not care if OS 9's were fake. The point is apple dose not need to make it hard to use premitions inorder to make them real. They can still make it easy to use but real and hard to get around.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    I don't see what you are bitching about.

I don't see why you whould have to go to netinfo to setup two diffrent profiles.

i have yet to have to do that . osX is not as hard to config as you are trying to make it seem. i think that osx does a beautiful job of workin for the user. i think that even your gram maw could use it.

As far as the system goes it's not that hard to figure out. just dig around.I think that you are making this alot harder than it is on yourself and just want to complain. This is a new system. Look around and learn it as far as it working for you i think that i does a great job of doing that.

Relax and take a look at the systemand you will find that it is not that hard to learn. Don't let others hold your hand.

• Reply 18 of 63
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think I'm a bit in the dark regarding this permissions stuff. Any examples that could clue me in? My only sense of this idea is in that admin can read/write more stuff than normal users, and that under the Show Info dialog for folders and files, there's a pull-down where one can set the read/write permissions for that item. Am I missing something?

Regarding profiles, is this the same or similar to users?

Thanks for the clarification. I fell like I might be able to contribute, but I feel a little ignorant right now.

• Reply 19 of 63
    one of the things that irritates me in os x is when you click on the findr icon in the dock, theres no way of hiding all apps and showing the desktop. its really irritating having a finder window pop up. also if you try to empty the tras then switch to another app and theres a problem with the trash the finder icon bounces but when you click on it instead of just showing the trash error dialog it opens a new finder window on top. try it!!
  • Reply 20 of 63
    I love OS X, and would never go back to 9. I'm from the linux/unix/NeXT group of people though, so I don't have any problems with some of the more advanced features.