Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The year is 2008, how will the high-def landscape look like? Will there be iMacs, MacPros, MacBook Pros, MacBooks, etc with built in Blu-ray drives? Will HD DVD have survived the Q4 onslaught of Blu-ray releases? Will certain studios announce exclusivity or neutrality at CES 2008?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I figured I'd really jump the gun and create this thread and claim back the thread I rightfully created back in 2005, and for 2006.

Commentary on this thread is welcome, but if you want to hold off until 2008 actually arrives, that's cool, but at the very least too, this thread will allow for easier viewing.

Let the debate begin!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I'll begin the speculation for 2008 by stating...

1) I think Blu-ray will have continued to dominate through Q4 of 2007 with a 72:28 overall ratio.

2) Given the shutout in sales that was handed to HD DVD for all of 2007, Warner will announce Blu-ray exclusivity going forward.

3) Apple will announce Blu-ray integrated hardware at Macworld 2008.

4) Universal, the staunch HD DVD backer will announce neutrality in March of 2008.

5) Paramount, left in the dark, cold, abyss that will have been the HD DVD format due to their poor decision in taking the Microsoft & Toshiba & Co. bribe, will go Blu-ray as well, sooner if they have stipulations in the cotract that will allow them to opt out of their 18 month agreement or much later until the 18 month agreement expires. They walked away with a $150 million dollar bribe in 2007, but at what cost did they give up Blu-ray royalties for the future? No one knows but them, but regardless, they will go Blu.

6) Toshiba, after June, will also capitulate and join the Blu-ray fray given the huge losses Toshiba has encountered due to selling their hardware at a loss.

7) By Q4 2008, we have a unified format in Blu-ray, and everyone wins, with the best technological solution for high-def and one supported by the majority of the industry.

8) Microsoft continues to attempt interjecting their codecs and HDi interactivity into the high-def landscape, but unsuccessfully as H.264/AVC and BD-J are the de-facto standard via the unified Blu-ray format.

9) Apple releases a new AppleTV complete with DVR functionality and BD-R drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2639
    I love this place...
  • Reply 3 of 2639
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    lol..
  • Reply 4 of 2639
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    What marzetta7 said.
  • Reply 5 of 2639
    todatoda Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

The year is 2008, how will the high-def landscape look like? Will there be iMacs, MacPros, MacBook Pros, MacBooks, etc with built in Blu-ray drives? Will HD DVD have survived the Q4 onslaught of Blu-ray releases? Will certain studios announce exclusivity or neutrality at CES 2008?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I figured I'd really jump the gun and create this thread and claim back the thread I rightfully created back in 2005, and for 2006.

Commentary on this thread is welcome, but if you want to hold off until 2008 actually arrives, that's cool, but at the very least too, this thread will allow for easier viewing.

Let the debate begin!

hi there!

not to be an wise-ass.

but check this out...http://www.youchoose.net/campaign/bl...3_pledge-tabid..and read the comments...makes sense does it?
  • Reply 6 of 2639
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Jumping the gun more than a little, aren't you, Marz? We have almost two months until the new year, which means people will have to keep checking and replying to two threads all that time or this thread will be buried by the time January 1 rolls around.
  • Reply 7 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Jumping the gun more than a little, aren't you, Marz? We have almost two months until the new year, which means people will have to keep checking and replying to two threads all that time or this thread will be buried by the time January 1 rolls around.

Yeah, pretty much. Anyhow, I figured this thread for the time being can be utilized for people's predictions for 2008 for the time being until '08 actually rolls around.
  • Reply 8 of 2639
    Here's my prediction: through the aid of affordable players, HD DVD regains lost ground over the '07 Holiday season, resulting in a 50/50 gridlock between the two formats all throughout 2008. By 2009, combo players become the norm outside of Sony & Toshiba players/computers, just around the time most consumers actually own HDTVs, making a hi-def player a worthwhile purchase. By 2010, nobody sells a player anymore that can't play both formats, except for Sony & Toshiba, and combo players carry us out until the end of physical media as we know it. And we all live happily ever after.

The End.
  • Reply 9 of 2639
    The format war soldiers on through 2008 with no clear winner. Marz starts a 2009 thread in November 2008.
  • Reply 10 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Oh come on.

Please lock this thread and let's keep this going in one place. Nobody's even on Christmas vacation yet, much less for New Year's. There is no point to making everybody navigate two threads about the exact same subject.
  • Reply 11 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'll second that. In the '06-'07 transition it was very annoying trying to keep up with two consecutive threads and who said what in which one. It was so confusing that at one point I thought Marz & Murch were the same person playing silly-buggers with us. If we do this again they may start to think they're the same person!
  • Reply 12 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Yeah, pretty much. Anyhow, I figured this thread for the time being can be utilized for people's predictions for 2008 for the time being until '08 actually rolls around.

I wasn't going to post in this thread so it could drop off and then resurface.. but hey ho.

couldn't resist

predictions? you mean like last jan? when there were assertions form some people that HD-DVD would sell 2,3,5 million stand alone players?

pfft. I'm not into that grandiose BS

I predict that BD will continue to sell well.

I HOPE HD-DVD withers further on the vine so we can have ONE format.

I Predict that Apple will include a next gen burner in at least one of their computers

I HOPE this will be at Macworld! even if it IS build to order.

I predict that the price of BD discs will continue to fall while the release rate increases.

I HOPE I can increase my purchase rate as the price becomes lower.

I predict the BD association will get Quad layer discs up and running (RW versions would be great) and they are used in the computer industry, at SOME point in 2008

I HOPE I'm right on that point

I predict that the PS3 will get into more homes and increase its sales

I HOPE that all things microsoft fail hugely (including HD-DVD/360) and Apple continues to see not only its share price rise, but its OS share as well.

There, thats sort of me done predicting.
  • Reply 13 of 2639
    He,he.i really think the format war will go on and on...microsoft and sony both have tons of cash to throw at each other instead of agreaing to make a new hi-def standard.

Sony lost the video war in the 80's.And remember one big thing.Not evrything evolves around the sales in US.

In Asia the sales ratio are 9:3 and Japan 9:1 both for blueray.And Europe the sales are higher for blueray.Most likely Europe will follow Asia sales ratio.

Asia will not follow US(HD).higly unlikely,,
  • Reply 14 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by todA View Post

Not evrything evolves around the sales in US.

In Asia the sales ratio are 9:3 and Japan 9:1 both for blueray.And Europe the sales are higher for blueray.Most likely Europe will follow Asia sales ratio.

Asia will not follow US(HD).higly unlikely,,

That's true. Neither does everything revolve around the sales in the US. However, the world is not so small yet that we can't end up with our own standard. The US could easily go one way and the rest of the world the other.
  • Reply 15 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

That's true. Neither does everything revolve around the sales in the US. However, the world is not so small yet that we can't end up with our own standard. The US could easily go one way and the rest of the world the other.

The US could easily do so.But the market outside US are much bigger.ergo the statement.

And Sony is a big company in the US.and owned by americans.So the idea of US is going one way are higly unlikely.(even though microsoft think they rule the world

edit:not much bigger but bigger
  • Reply 16 of 2639
    Quote:

Sony CEO Sees 'Stalemate' in Disc Fight

NEW YORK (AP) - The head of Sony Corp ., Howard Stringer , said Thursday that the Blu-ray disc format the company has developed as the successor to the DVD is in a "stalemate" with the competing HD DVD format, chiefly backed by Toshiba Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

"It's a difficult fight," said Stringer, speaking at the 92nd Street Y cultural center in Manhattan.

Toshiba has been selling its players for as low as $200 heading into the holiday season, while Blu-ray players cost more than twice as much. The HD DVD camp also scored a significant win in August, when it induced Paramount Pictures to drop most of its support for Blu-ray and put out high-definition movies exclusively on HD DVD.

"We were trying to win on the merits, which we were doing for a while, until Paramount changed sides," Stringer said.

At the same time, he played down the importance of the battle, saying it was mostly a matter of prestige whose format wins out in the end.

"It doesn't mean as much as all that," Stringer said. He added that he believed there was an opportunity of uniting the two camps under one format before he became CEO, and he wishes he could travel back in time to make that happen.

Stringer was more upbeat about the PlayStation 3, the game console that has so far had disappointing sales compared to the rival Nintendo Wii.

The CEO said the console is the best-selling console in Europe after a price cut three weeks ago. In the U.S., a recent price cut has doubled sales.

"We are coming back up again," Stringer said. The company aims to sell 10 million PS3s by the end of its fiscal year in March. Nintendo has already sold 13.2 million Wiis.

A much more reasonably-minded view of the situation than the pretentious bravado that some platform elitists throw around.
  • Reply 17 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

A much more reasonably-minded view of the situation than the pretentious bravado that some platform elitists throw around.

THE FUTURE:bLUERAY IS THE WINNER YEAJJ(AND HD GET CRUSHED AND MICROSOFT LOSES FACE AND TOSHIBA DECIDES TO GIVE AWAY HD FOR FREE AND FINALLY SEES THE WAR HAS COME TO AND END AND DECIDE TO PUT BLUERAY IN THEIR PC LIKE HP,DELL,ALIENWARE HAVE DONE SO LONG AGO.NOT TO MENTION THE WISE CHOICE APPLE ALSO DID A WHILE AGO WHEN THEY FINALLY REALISED THAT HD SUCKS..
  • Reply 18 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

It is nice to see Sony showing some reason and humility. That's all some of us wanted to begin with.
  • Reply 19 of 2639
    Since at this time this thread is all whimsy, I'd like to offer a Friday the 13 look at 2008, even though today isn't the 13th.

The recession that hit the US in late 2007 worsens, fueled by huge deficit spending to support the unpopular war in Iraq, high forclosure rates and bankruptcy filings, a falling US dollar that reaches parity with the peso, drying up of credit, oil prices reaching astronomical levels and gas at $7 a gallon, and the economy moves into a depression. Consumer confidence falls to a all time low and discretionary spending falls to zero as people are more worried about keep a roof over their heads, staying warm and affording to keep gas in their car than in buying HDM and players and HD TVs. Movie studios, in a joint announcement, drop all HDM and will only support SD-DVD. Toshiba goes bankrupt. Sony maintains it's solidly behind the PS3, then two weeks later cancels it. Microsoft gloats. The rich get richer. Murch and marz continue to argue over which abandonded HDM format was better.

How's that for a doomsday prediction?
  • Reply 20 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Since at this time this thread is all whimsy, I'd like to offer a Friday the 13 look at 2008, even though today isn't the 13th.

The recession that hit the US in late 2007 worsens, fueled by huge deficit spending to support the unpopular war in Iraq, high forclosure rates and bankruptcy filings, a falling US dollar that reaches parity with the peso, drying up of credit, oil prices reaching astronomical levels and gas at $7 a gallon, and the economy moves into a depression. Consumer confidence falls to a all time low and discretionary spending falls to zero as people are more worried about keep a roof over their heads, staying warm and affording to keep gas in their car than in buying HDM and players and HD TVs. Movie studios, in a joint announcement, drop all HDM and will only support SD-DVD. Toshiba goes bankrupt. Sony maintains it's solidly behind the PS3, then two weeks later cancels it. Microsoft gloats. The rich get richer. Murch and marz continue to argue over which abandonded HDM format was better.

How's that for a doomsday prediction?

he.he..good one

In the near future apple decide to join ranks and buy up toshiba and stop the toshiba hd production and makes it sell bluray.just to plunge a dagger in microsofts hd dream(heart)..(steve jobs does it for the fun of it since bill gates called him a freak(and steve jobs calls him a nerd).

In the mean time people give a damn.And a brand new company(wheres does it come from??) Starts to make great comboplayers just to piss of evrybody.In the mean time(2 time) a wise guy(he works from sony) comes on the smart plan to integrate the hd technology in to blueray and calls it blueray 2(and it could be played on hd players to).

And the hd creator commits suicide after desperate microsoft agents tries to make him come up with new things..And evrybody gives a damn and blueray 2 wins....and the secret company(the maker of great comboplayers) was invented by the usa after sony bribed them alot..and they really felt sorry for sony(since they allready have lost the videowar in the 80's...