Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

I am not sure how you missed the part where having extra space makes it possible to add higher quality audio, the HiDef formats aren't just about video.

True, but it is easier for a person to see a difference rather than hear it. Audiophiles have been tested with 256kbps MP3 compared to CDs and couldn't tell a difference, so how would your average joe compare (hell, they are happy with 128kpbs MP3s...). Plus, how many people have full 7.1 systems in their house (of good quality, not surround in a box)? It has got to be way less than the number of HDTV owners (hell, i'm happy with my 2.1 setup and HDTV).

To me, HD DVD and Blu-Ray is about video quality. All the in store displays are about video quality as well (comparing the footage to DVD). That is what will win people over. Until a movies video quality suffers because of the space on an HD DVD, i'm happy with my purchase.
  • Reply 62 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    HD DVD in a nutshell...

HD DVD in a nutshell...

...a little humor for your Thursday.
  • Reply 63 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

...a little humor for your Thursday.

Marz, there's a difference between humor and just being mean-spirited. Guess which one rubbing it in the face of the loser falls under?
  • Reply 64 of 2639
    Yeah Marz, I gotta agree with him on this. I mean, I love Blu, I love all the happy news you post, but don't be a douche about it.
  • Reply 65 of 2639
  • Reply 66 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Haahahahaa. Ya see, I can laugh at that half baked, butcher job in Photoshop. Seems to me someones taking this a bit to seriously and personally...Corey and Fisheyesque. Time to lighten up guys...next thing ya know you'll be asking for cranberry juices in the bar.
  • Reply 67 of 2639
    Quote:

Haahahahaa. Ya see, I can laugh at that half baked, butcher job in Photoshop. Seems to me someones taking this a bit to seriously and personally...Corey and Fisheyesque. Time to lighten up guys...next thing ya know you'll be asking for cranberry juices in the bar.

Haha awww, so I can't have fun too? And I was in a rush, at work, and only had MS paint to work with. Sue me.
  • Reply 68 of 2639
    Marz, you're sucking all of the happy out of this thread Come on, now.
  • Reply 69 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Marz, you're sucking all of the happy out of this thread Come on, now.

I'm not the one interjecting words like "douche" and "shut up"...c'mon now.

I can't help the fact some of those are minus a funny bone and choosing to take the actually quite funny demotivator calendar posters and internalize them as if a comment on a format was a strike on one of their loved ones.

Like I said, time to detach your person from the format, it's a freakin format, jeebus.
  • Reply 70 of 2639
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You say Blu's extra 25GB allows for higher quality, and yet every title released thus far on both formats has been visually identical.

Titles released on both formats (Warner titles) don't make use of the extra space and bandwidth.
  • Reply 71 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Titles released on both formats (Warner titles) don't make use of the extra space and bandwidth.

Considering they already look perfect, do you think there'd really be a perceivable improvement in picture quality if they did? I would guess anything over 25GB is past the point of diminishing return, and that the extra space is better used for extras.
  • Reply 72 of 2639
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I remember seeing a study back in the hey-day of CRTs...

When given the choice between a big TV and a high-res TV, consumers always chose the big TV. Apparently, picture quality isn't paramount. Although I suppose there is probably a size threshold past which people begin opting for quality.
  • Reply 73 of 2639
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

When given the choice between a big TV and a high-res TV, consumers always chose the big TV. Apparently, picture quality isn't paramount. Although I suppose there is probably a size threshold past which people begin opting for quality.

My guess is that size threshold depends upon viewing distance.

• Reply 74 of 2639
    In the playstation forum, a guess posed the question "Would you rather have a 15" HDTV or a 51" SDTV?". To me it would be pointless to have a HDTV so small, there would be no benefit in the HD department and DAMN that is small. I guess I am in the boat of larger. If the sizes were 36" and 51", I would choose the 36" in HD.

Anyways, back on topic, anyone get Superbad on Blu-Ray? Any good extras? I was very disappointed to find out that Halloween is going neither format right now...not impressed.
  • Reply 75 of 2639
    Quote:

Marz, there's a difference between humor and just being mean-spirited. Guess which one rubbing it in the face of the loser falls under?

When losers are arrogant, they need informing in every possible way.
  • Reply 76 of 2639
    Quote:

Viewing distance wins every time.
  • Reply 77 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

When losers are arrogant, they need informing in every possible way.

Quote:

I can't help the fact some of those are minus a funny bone and choosing to take the actually quite funny demotivator calendar posters and internalize them as if a comment on a format was a strike on one of their loved ones.

It seems your business associate Walter is also having difficulty distinguishing between a format and the people who use it.
  • Reply 78 of 2639
    Quote:

Yes--when the TV occupies your entire FOV, then you'll probably be more interested in resolution.
  • Reply 79 of 2639
    Quote:

Joe Public neither has the bandwidth nor the desire to buy his movies on the internets and cobble together some means of viewing and storing them. There's no strong solution for doing so at this point, nor do I foresee there being one in the next couple of years. xBox only rents films, the selection is sparse, and it takes a fortnight to download a single film. Apple TV lets you buy movies and access them easily, so long as you're in to VHS-quality entertainment, but you still wait longer than a trip to the store to view it.

When Joe can walk into a store and be told they've got a player that'll play all formats for an affordable price, HDM media will really take off. Combo players will become affordable long before there's a usable means of buying high-definition movies online and keeping them.

Cory I actually agree with you on something-- well only for the first paragraph.

I'm still not sure that a low cost universal player will save HDM. HDM prices will have to drop considerably to attract Joe and HDTV prices also will have to drop some more, say $800 for a respected name brand 40" LCD or 42" Plasma. I had hoped to see more of a HDTV price drop for this Christmas.
  • Reply 80 of 2639
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Considering they already look perfect, do you think there'd really be a perceivable improvement in picture quality if they did?

They don't always look perfect. Happy Feet has major banding issues, others have other artifacts, and when the movie is too long Warner gives us down to 448k DD - the same as good old DVD.

Wouldn't it be better and more consistent if all movies had the same lossless audio and high bitrate video?