Freezing iMacs may be victims of hardware, not software

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Evidence is mounting that the frequent video lockups experienced by some owners of Apple's all-aluminum iMacs may be the result of a faulty graphics video component or overheating, rather than a software bug.

One owner speaking to AppleInsider noted that the freezes plaguing his new 20-inch iMac have seemingly vanished ever since Apple replaced the Radeon HD video chipset in the system, suggesting that Apple's recent iMac driver updates are not the ultimate solutions to the issue.

"So far that [repair] has fixed it completely," he says, observing that the iMac has been stable for two weeks since its return. "We'll see if the same issue starts back up again."

This and other reports provide increasing support for beliefs that the lockups and related symptoms are caused by a hardware issue, or excessive heat inside the all-in-one chassis. Users often report graphical corruption in the operating system as a precursor to the freezes -- a sign some PC users recognize of a video card pushed beyond its safe operating temperature. In some instances, the visual artifacts become increasingly likely as time goes on.

"My lockups were normal looking at first, but eventually started to spew out graphical artifacts, the same type of [problem] I used to see when overclocking graphics cards," the iMac owner said.

AppleInsider itself can attest to the symptoms, which first manifested in a review unit weeks after the August release. A sure sign that the system is near a freeze are very brief white streaks that dart across the screen -- a behavior witnessed with high-end video cards running past their limits. Visual corruption in certain programs, especially those that require a full-screen mode, also hint at an impending lockup.

The issue further appears to be disconnected from the operating system, as it also manifests in Windows while using Boot Camp (which, incidentally, incorrectly lists the video card as a Mobility Radeon HD 2600) and also appears regardless of the version of Mac OS X installed. iMac users in Apple's support forums complain that upgrading from Tiger to Leopard often exacerbates the problem, freezing when a game, screensaver, or a similarly more intensive task than the standard Leopard desktop is activated.

While the problems have not always been consistent and are sometimes resolved by downgrading to Tiger (which offloads less work to the graphics processor), the freezes are prompting an increasingly hostile reaction from buyers, many of whom are also angry at Apple for failing to either inform customers or technicians about the existence of the flaw, or else to offer a truly permanent fix.

"I've gone from frustrated, to upset, angry, furious to disappointed with my iMac," reports one user from Apple's forums. "It basically sits in my office collecting dust. I don't want to drag it all the way down to the Apple store, because I know they will only exchange it with the another defective unit."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 128
    I have been having this issue. So how can I get Apple to replace just my graphics card, instead of the whole computer? I shouldn't have to buy a 500GB hard drive and back up all my things just to get a working computer.
  • Reply 2 of 128
    They also released a patch/firmware for the white iMacs and MacPros using the high capacity Seagate hard drives. It's working like a dream for me.
  • Reply 3 of 128
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

I have been having this issue. So how can I get Apple to replace just my graphics card, instead of the whole computer? I shouldn't have to buy a 500GB hard drive and back up all my things just to get a working computer.

I'm confused. I didn't think the iMac had a graphics card and the GPUs were built onto the motherboard. Would some one more knowledgable correct me if I'm wrong, as I often am.
  • Reply 4 of 128
    APPLE: An old snippet my father left me. "Your first or earliest loss, is more often than not, your cheapest"

Be proactive Apple, tell & show your customers you fix it and swallow the expense.

I have been persuading my brother to switch from his ever problematic XP desktop to a new Al 24" iMac, I'll have to tell him to hold off for now until I know its fixed.

Funny actually, as I was going to upgrade to it when it first came out, but the glossy only screen was a deal breaker for me. So, I'm waiting for something else that suits me. Lucky me

Pete
  • Reply 5 of 128
    This is what happens when you have a design team, and CEO, obsessed with making it "even thinner." As it is, I run my Alu iMac with the fans cranked up to 1500 rpms or so permanently, and when playing WoW, I turn off all the shader effects and limit the frame rate to 20 fps so I don't have to worry about wiping my raid because I locked up while tanking a boss fight. I've given up on trying to run games like Bioshock in Windows through Bootcamp.

It's a shame that aesthetics come before quality design with this company. This is my 3rd Mac and I wish that I had bought a Windows machine instead.
  • Reply 6 of 128
    I'm having this problem too. They should just recall those machines that exhibit the freezing before mainstream media picks this up.
  • Reply 7 of 128
    that Apple isn't becoming one of those companies whose motto is "We're not happy, till you're not happy"
  • Reply 8 of 128
    This is going to be expensive for Apple. The GPU is on the logic board, so it's not as simple as just swapping out a graphics card. They'll have to replace the entire logic board. But, if it turns out that it's a heat issue, I don't see that there's any other resolution. Graphics drivers won't resolve it.

The right thing to do, obviously, is to replace the logic board for all affected customers.
  • Reply 9 of 128
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I seem to recall folks discovering that the original MacBook Pro's video card was underclocked by the software. Obviously it would be a PR nightmare to do this to already-shipped machines, but they should probably start immediately underclocking yet-to-ship machines until they resolve this.
  • Reply 10 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Evidence is mounting that the frequent video lockups experienced by some owners of Apple's all-aluminum iMacs may be the result of an ATI video chipset pushed to its breaking point rather than a software bug.

Is this the same problem as the one where people are reporting their iMacs shut down abruptly like someone pulled the plug? Aren't people with previous generation (white) imacs experiencing the same problem? Begs the question how widespread this actually is?
  • Reply 11 of 128
    I don't think it's heat - the only time I hit the problem was opening up Google Earth (which is 3D intensive, obviously) but it didn't really have a chance to get going in any meaningful sense.

As for thin/aesthetics - hardware wise, it's not substantially different from the far thinner Macbook Pro. Again, I'm really doubting heat-loss problem by design (Apple have years of experience in 'fanless' circulation) as it seems to freeze even without the tell-tail 'heat' problems (streaking, etc).

Either way, if it's hardware, it will be expensive. If it's the fault of the GPU, it won't be Apple who pay the expense.
  • Reply 12 of 128
    I just got a 20" iMac 2 weeks ago and has not lock up or frozen not even one time, but my brother got the 24" about 2 months ago when they first came out and it locks up every 10 minutes or so, maybe its because I got the cheapest $1199 model which has a different video card from all of them, also his machine is also having a condensation problem behind the glass, he phone tech support and all they said was to put it in a different room lol, and boy tech support had pick up some nasty attitude, thank god i did not go for the extra support
  • Reply 13 of 128
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

This is what happens when you have a design team, and CEO, obsessed with making it "even thinner." As it is, I run my Alu iMac with the fans cranked up to 1500 rpms or so permanently, and when playing WoW, I turn off all the shader effects and limit the frame rate to 20 fps so I don't have to worry about wiping my raid because I locked up while tanking a boss fight. I've given up on trying to run games like Bioshock in Windows through Bootcamp.

It's a shame that aesthetics come before quality design with this company. This is my 3rd Mac and I wish that I had bought a Windows machine instead.

WHAT A LEMON. There was no reason for this "new" PCish iMac. No power increase over the white one and no design change except thinner. Aesthetically the white iMac rules. The mouse doesn't even match the machine! They should recall and start from scratch on this one.
  • Reply 14 of 128
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I think that Apple should be addressing this issue aggressively but as always it won't tell us until they get it fixed, I just hope that for the next revision they just change the GPU altogether or make ATI deliver something better. In any case I have to complain about the graphics chosen for the new iMacs, I think they should have use a better one, I've been waiting to replace my not so old iMac G5 (pre-isight) then Leopard came out and I wanted to wait for it to come pre-installed, now this issue comes out and well, I'll wait for Rev.1 , they should be coming out very soon.

• Reply 15 of 128
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JulesLt View Post

I don't think it's heat

Indeed. The MBP has graphics at least as powerful as the iMac's in much less volume, and we have yet to hear about similar problems with the graphics chip. If it is hardware, it should be something more complicated than heat.
  • Reply 16 of 128
    The new Imacs aren't really thinner - it's just an aspect of the design.

I noticed that my 24" mac used to lock up quite often - but I thought this was a consequence of using Parallels all the time.

Now I've moved to Leopard and started using Time Machine it's been a hell of a lot worse.

Agree with a lot of people here who say that Apple should take this very seriously... I've spent £1500 ($3200?!!) on something that fails 1-3 times a week. Rubbish.
  • Reply 17 of 128
    Don't the MBP's use nVidia graphics instead of the iMac's ATI? That could explain the difference.

I hope Apple becomes more proactive about making this problem go away, and I hope they hold ATI accountable in turn.
  • Reply 18 of 128
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    I have a new 24" iMac and mine has not frozen one time.
  • Reply 19 of 128
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

That's a bogus complaint. What if it was your hard drive that crashed?

Everyone should have a backup drive.

Besides, Apple won't replace the computer, they'll replace the logic board. Chances are your data will remain intact.
  • Reply 20 of 128
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

. If it is hardware, it should be something more complicated than heat.

I don't know about that. Heat seems to kill x box 360s. Not a great comparison but excessive heat is know to cause HW failure.