Whether to buy the iPhone (RIGHT) now to use in Canada

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looking for some advice.

Really contemplating grabbing an iphone in the States this week and getting it um, migrated up to Canada, where I would jailbreak.com it and use it towards my existing Rogers account.

Pluses

1. If I go this week, Version 1.1.1 will be on the phones on Apple shelves. Meaning I could easily activate etc. in Canada (jailbreakme.com)

2. Rogers Christmas ads are now out. no mention of iphone, lots of mention of competting '8GB phones'

3. Although edge sucks, waiting for the 3g version to come out will be prohibitively expensive here in Canada: Roger's data plans are ludicrous. The best best best they offer is over 70USD for 1GB (up and down) and that is a sketchy non-advertised/ supported on phones offer - most people pay 3cents per KB. So, keeping my surfing habits away from bandwith intensive sights will be easier on edge! keeping costs down.

4. 399. That is about 375 CAD. Seems a great deal, and will of course be much cheaper than whatver Rogers/Apple slaps on as Canada tax.

Minuses:

1. Breakin' the law. jsut the hassle of always having to wonder about upgrades etc. (itunes 7.5 anyone know?)

2. Whatever comes out in Jan / April (will be awesome and not mine)

3. Longterm - once iPhone arrives, will I be able to become legit @ Rogers?

4. Visual voicemail.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I have to decide pretty quick here!

Comments