Adobe Warrning (OS X)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Adobe is doing the same knid of information sending they did with their OS 9 apps. Before you install any OS X Adobe Apps, unplug from the network/internet and then trash all the files under the directory:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web/

-evildead

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How come they tell you to do that?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Actually you only need to do this if you are pirating the Adobe software.

If you have a legally registered version, you'll have no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Please elaborate on what these things do ...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    It sends your IP address and possibly some other personal information to Adobe when you install. I would do it even if you own it legally, as Adobe has no right to have my information.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>It sends your IP address and possibly some other personal information to Adobe when you install. I would do it even if you own it legally, as Adobe has no right to have my information.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Has anyone absolutely confirmed this using a packet sniffer or something similar?

I (vaguely) remember reading a note from an Adobe rep saying that Adobe online only was checking for available updates, and wasn't sending out any private info, IP addresses, etc..

Maybe I just haven't seen it, but all I have ever seen is fear mongering that Adobe might have the ability to send out IP addresses, not that they actually are doing so.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yes, lenkman, this is old news and yes Adobe is logging your serial number to verify that you aren't pirating. Adobe has been doing this for some time. Photoshop has done it since 6.0.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>