Move iTunes Library w/o Consolidating

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
OK, here's my setup. I keep my iTunes library files (database, artwork, podcasts, etc.) in the default directory in ~/Music/iTunes/. However, I keep my music on a 160GB drive titled MY MEDIA. I'm getting a new 320GB external drive in the mail pretty soon, so I'll be moving my library over to that drive once I get it.

The thing is, I don't want to consolidate my library like most hints suggest. I have a much more intuitive file structure that I want to keep. I actually added all my music in my current library by dragging it into iTunes instead of importing. I don't want to re-add all my album artwork and ratings again, but I also don't want to lose my file structure. Do you think this will work if I change the name of the new drive to reflect the name of the old drive (MY MEDIA)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    If anyone else was wondering if it worked (if anyone read it lawl), it did. I just closed iTunes, copied everything from the old drive to the new drive, renamed the old drive, renamed the new drive to MY MEDIA, and opened up iTunes and all is well. I happy.